News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Old World Monkeys - superfamily Cercopithecoidea

Started by brontodocus, January 02, 2013, 11:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

Kipunji, Rungwecebus kipunji (Yowie USA Series 4), 1.6 in. or 4.0 cm., subfamily: Cercopithecinae

Do you love it when a company represents a species new to toy collectors?
The Kipunji or highland mangabey was discovered in 2003 - 2004 in Tanzania.
Research showed that it is more closely related to baboons than to other mangabeys.

Kipunji compared to black crested mangabey by Nayab and hamadryas baboon by Furuta.

bmathison1972

@stemturtle , what's the size differences between the Kitan Club and Safari TOOB Japanese macaques? Is the Safari TOOB figure an OK size or too small?

stemturtle

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 26, 2019, 08:46:08 PM
@stemturtle , what's the size differences between the Kitan Club and Safari TOOB Japanese macaques? Is the Safari TOOB figure an OK size or too small?

The height of the Kitan Club Japanese macaque is about 1 9/16 inches.
Height of the Safari Toob Japanese macaque is about 1 5/16 inches.

bmathison1972

great thanks, the Kitan Club one seems to scale better with 'standard-sized' primates

Isidro

Great! From the monkey toob primate, only the tamarins, sifaka and maaaybe the howler monkey are OK in size to me for my collection, but it's great to know that exist a well done Japanese macaque in good scale in other brand. So my question is, there is any online shop that export Kitan Club figurines to Spain?

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on January 27, 2019, 08:38:45 AMIs, there is any online shop that export Kitan Club figurines to Spain?

@Isidro , check your local eBay for dealers, or possible the US eBay (some of the international shippers there might ship to Spain). You should know, like most gashapon-style models, there is probably some assembly required for the Kitan Club macaque (stemturtle or others can confirm/refute). I'll be getting that TOOB also for the marmoset, sifaka, and tamarins.

Isidro

Beetle guy

@Isidro  You will not find Ikimon or Kitan on the mentioned shops on STS Forum because the figurines of Ikimon and Kitan Club are exclusively made for Japan. So Ebay, Buyee and or Rakuten are of the few ways to obtain these great figurines.

I have been buying from this seller for 9 years now. Always first class items and ver well packed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nature-Techni-Colour-gashapon-capsule-Nature-of-Japan-Vol-1-Macaca-fuscata/273668701697?hash=item3fb7ecfe01:g:88MAAOSwyP5aHEv3

As you see the macaque does not need assembling.
To beetle or not to beetle.

Isidro

Quote from: Beetle guy on January 27, 2019, 06:53:18 PM
@Isidro  You will not find Ikimon or Kitan on the mentioned shops on STS Forum because the figurines of Ikimon and Kitan Club are exclusively made for Japan.

Ah, that's what I wanted to know! Many thanks! :)

bmathison1972

This guy hasn't been shown yet, golden snub-nosed monkey, Rhinopithecus roxellana by Safari LTD - Wild Safari Wildlife, 2019

bmathison1972

gelada, Theropithecus gelada by Likaon Models (Signatus Studio), 1:13 scale [scale provided by maker]

With other African cercopithecans: The mandrill by Papo and the Guinea baboon by CollectA;

Isidro

Oh, so you ended buying one of the figures of the Signatus studio from my country! They're very nice figures and often from beautiful species not represented in any other brand, but they're super-expensive for me so I will not buy none.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on March 16, 2019, 05:08:51 AM
Oh, so you ended buying one of the figures of the Signatus studio from my country! They're very nice figures and often from beautiful species not represented in any other brand, but they're super-expensive for me so I will not buy none.

I bought a couple to see if I would like them, @Isidro . I also got the cinerous vulture and male kiang. But yes they are too expensive for me to get very many of them, just maybe an occasional rarely-made species

stemturtle

Unidentified savanna monkey (National Geographic)

When I first saw a photo of this figure, I thought it might be a vervet, black face bordered by white. That would be Chlorocebus pyperythrus, subfamily Cercopithecinae, length  2.75 inches or 7.0 cm. There was no ID marked on the figure.

The monkey was part of a boxed set of 4 animal figures made for National Geographic by Shing Hing in 2017. Also included were a gorilla, a female and male lion. I ordered the set online from Walmart. White paint had not been applied to frame the face. I saw a photo of a different boxed set with the monkey painted black and called a spider monkey by the seller. I abandoned hope of identifying the species.

Savanna monkey (NG) compared to the Diana monkey (CollectA)

Link to the National Geographic 2018 catalog.

bmathison1972

stemturtle, you can probably call it anything in Chlorocebus with a small degree of certainty :). A little too generic for my Synoptic Collection, however.

stemturtle

Chacma (or cape) baboon, Papio ursinus, (Safari Ltd. South African Toob), length about 1.5 in. or 4 cm.

The new figure is thin compared to the chacma baboon by Australian Yowie, Series 5.

bmathison1972

Physeter macrocephalus

bmathison1972

I also tossed around ideas; I have it as a Guinea baboon. If Safari is going to be daring with species, they would advertise it as such.

stemturtle

Silvery lutung, infant, Trachypithecus cristatus (Yowie, Series 8, Baby Animals), 2023,  length about 2 in. or 5 cm.
I bought this figure on eBay after a long search. There is great excitement when a new species is released.

Gray langur, Semnopithecus entellus (Play Visions) shown with the silvery lutung.
Both belong to subfamily Colobinae, leaf-eating monkeys, langur group. The orange color alerts the location to the lutung family when danger threatens.  Predatory felines are color-blind to orange. The color changes to gray during adolescence.