News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Old World Monkeys - superfamily Cercopithecoidea

Started by brontodocus, January 02, 2013, 11:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Wonderful new thread, stemturtle! :) I think there are probably more figures around than those representing Platyrrhini. However, I don't have that many which aren't already shown in your photos. But still...

Papio hamadryas (Linnaeus, 1758); Hamadryas Baboon. Furuta ChocoEgg Funny Animals Series 6 model No. 01.

It seems the Mandrill, Mandrillus sphinx (Linnaeus, 1758), is quite overrepresented which is also true in my collection. From top to bottom: Furuta Choco Egg Funny Animals Series 7 model No. 40, Papo, and Schleich Wild Life 2014.

stemturtle

Thanks for posting your photos, brontodocus. I missed you during the hiatus. Glad you're back.  :)

brontodocus

Quote from: stemturtle on September 10, 2016, 08:34:06 PM
Thanks for posting your photos, brontodocus. I missed you during the hiatus. Glad you're back.  :)
Aw, many thanks! :) Yay, it feels good to be back!

bmathison1972

Quote from: stemturtle on September 10, 2016, 08:34:06 PM

me too :)

widukind

A very interesting topic :) i hope i find the time to share my monkeys. There are any more :)

But i see one mistake, the Formosan rock macaque is Kaiyodo, not Nayab :)

stemturtle

Quote from: widukind on September 17, 2016, 03:53:55 PM
A very interesting topic :) i hope i find the time to share my monkeys. There are any more :)

But i see one mistake, the Formosan rock macaque is Kaiyodo, not Nayab :)

Thank you for the correction widukind. Yes, I hope you can post your figures.

stemturtle

Lesser spot-nosed monkey, Cercopithecus petaurista (Lineol)
Subfamily Cercopithecinae

Photo courtesy of Kikimalou posted on ToyAnimal.Info .

brontodocus

Walk-around images of CollectA Diana Monkey are also working again. :)

brontodocus

Papo Mandrill photos are working again. :)

stemturtle

Northern plains gray langur, Semnopithecus entellus, by Play Visions, subfamily: Colobinae

The ID marked on the figure is Langur. This species is difficult to distinguish from the southern plains gray langur, Semnopithecus dussumieri (see the pair by Bandai). We accept the identification posted in ToyAnimal.Info.

It's been a while since last posting. That is how long it took to find this rare figure on eBay. The good news is that they are out there.

stemturtle

Barbary macaque, Macaca sylvanus (Hausser Elastolin), subfamily Cercopithecinae.
Length about 2.4 in. or 6.1 cm. ID is from Toy Animal Info. Figure is not marked.

The Barbary apes of Gibraltar are the only wild monkeys living in Europe, indigenous to the Atlas Mountains of Morocco and Algeria.

The vestigial tail, < 2.2 cm, compared to the tail of a Japanese snow monkey, Macaca fuscata (NTC, Ikimon), which can be 4 times as long, < 9.5 cm.

stemturtle

Hamadryas baboon, Papio hamadryas (Furuta Series 6 #01)

Mother and baby remind us that Mother's Day is coming up soon.

stemturtle

Hamadryas baboon ♂, Papio hamadryas (VEB Plaho), subfamily Cercopithecinae

stemturtle

Rhesus macaque [ID not marked], Macaca mulatta (Nayab), subfamily Cercopithecinae.
This monkey is from a set of 12 assorted wild animals by Nayab, Item No. 199.
The orange color is a bit loud, but the length of the tail looks at least 8 to 9 inches.

Comparision of Rhesus macaque and Japanese macaque [ID not marked], M. fuscata (Nayab).
This Japanese snow monkey has been misidentified as a Rhesus monkey and also as a Barbary ape.
The tail is too short for a Rhesus and too long for a Barbary macaque.
See reply #9 on this thread for a discussion of tail length.

There are at least 21 species of macaques. My IDs are speculative. Your comments are welcome.

stemturtle

Mantled guereza, Colobus guereza (Action Products), subfamily Colobinae.
It is always a great pleasure to find a rare figure like this on eBay. It is part of the Wild Africa Series in 1999.

Comparison with the black-and-white colobus by Kaiyodo.
A white tail lacking a tuft would be typical for the king colobus, C. polykomos,
but other coloration identifies the Action Products figure as C. guereza.
The belly is marked Colobus Monkey.

bmathison1972

Another great contribution, thanks stemturtle!

AnimalToyForum

stemturtle

Golden snub-nosed monkey, Rhinopithecus roxellana (Oenux), subfamily Colobinae

At about 3 inches, the adult figure is twice as large as I would prefer. The color of the juvenile should probably be tamed down with light brown, but it is pretty. I could not find any information about the Oenux Toy Company. A label was enclosed, but the figures are not marked.

Comparison of the Oenux monkeys with the golden snub-nosed by Furuta.

AnimalToyForum

Nice monkeys. Interesting, where did you get the Oenux figure?

stemturtle

These Oenux monkeys are sold as a pair on AliExpress.