News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mysticeti - Baleen whales (or was it whales with a moustache?)

Started by brontodocus, December 12, 2012, 11:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varanus

Unfortunately not.  The only things other than the usual are the year (1994) and "Scale 1:75". :-\

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sauroid

just a couple of my contributions
Nayab Blue Whale

Nayab Humpback Whale

brontodocus

Since I had most photos already done, here's a walk-around of Papo's Humpback Whale, Megaptera novaeangliae (Borowski, 1781) from their Aquatic Animals line or "Les Animaux Aquatiques". It's a hefty and large figure, in the same size range as the MBA and Schleich "1:32" Humpback Whales. Total length is 297 mm so the scale would be approx. 1:37 to 1:64 for mature individuals of 11 to 19 m length. The human figure by Preiser is 1:50 so that would make the whale 14.85 m which is more or less average. Similar to the Papo theropod dinosaur figures the Humpback Whale has a mouth that opens and closes. :)

Edit 2017-02-04: Fixed broken image urls.
Edit 2018-04-13: Fixed broken image urls. - Admin

AnimalToyForum

sauroid

gorgeous humpback whale figure. and the photos are beautiful too.

brontodocus

Thanks, Adam and sauroid! :) It may not be as elegant as the MBA and Schleich figures but it still is a very good one, I think. The articulated lower jaw adds much to its playability.

Jetoar

I think the same friend. I have this whale and I am very happy with this figure  ^-^.

postsaurischian

:D Really nice walk-around! Very good whale figure!

AMEN ;D !

Jetoar

brontodocus

Jetoar

brontodocus

Here's the walk-around of the amazing but recently retired Schleich Humpback Whale, Megaptera novaeangliae (Borowski, 1781). Originally part of a line named "Seetiere 1:32" (which is apparently now sunk in the Wild Life line) and manufactured in Portugal, this is a truly big and massive figure at 317 mm length (and 660 g), so the scale is approx. 1:35 to 1:60 for a mature individual between 11 and 19 m length. The human figure by Preiser is 1:50 so the whale would be 15.85 m at 1:50 scale, respectively.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Battatitan

Ahhh I love Schleich's 'Seetiere' line because the figures are so realistic, detailed (barnacles!) and massive. Unfortunatly I didn't pick them up in time after they were retired, so I only have a very paint-rubbed Minke whale (which is lovely nonetheless) which I found after trawling (see what I did there?) eBay.  :-[
Congratulations on a wonderful figure!

brontodocus

Thanks! :) If I'm not mistaken all the "1:32" Seetiere were produced by Maia & Borges in Portugal. Since Maia & Borges distribute figures on their own now and already have a marine animals line, here's hoping we'll still see new releases of the same quality. Judging from the few Maia & Borges I have they are excellent! :)

Battatitan

Quote from: brontodocus on December 28, 2012, 06:08:55 PM
Thanks! :) If I'm not mistaken all the "1:32" Seetiere were produced by Maia & Borges in Portugal. Since Maia & Borges distribute figures on their own now and already have a marine animals line, here's hoping we'll still see new releases of the same quality. Judging from the few Maia & Borges I have they are excellent! :)

Really? I hope they do release similar quality whales; I wont let them slip through my hands this time!

Jetoar

I bought this figure the last week and he is my favorite wahle of Schleich  8).

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Colorata Marine Mammals DX Blue Whale, Balaenoptera musculus (Linnaeus, 1758). Length is 165 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:120 and 1:200. This is one of two figures from the series with interchangeable throats so the figure can be displayed with opened or closed mouth.

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.

postsaurischian

:D Wonderful figure! Wonderful set! Every whale lover should have it.

brontodocus

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 01, 2013, 03:28:26 PM
:D Wonderful figure! Wonderful set! Every whale lover should have it.
Absolutely. :) And it seems to have become more commonly offered on ebay, often at rather fair prices so that in the end the set isn't overly expensive per figure anymore. I'd recommend not to buy them individually but rather the whole box of eight. The big ones, Blue, Humpback, Gray, and South Pacific Right Whale are all excellent figures.