Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mysticeti - Baleen whales (or was it whales with a moustache?)

Started by brontodocus, December 12, 2012, 11:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 23, 2013, 09:46:12 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 23, 2013, 03:33:41 AM
Nice figure, although the barnacles kind of look like it has scrambled egg stuck to its face :o
A little so, yes, probably. But that could be said about the Colorata DX North Pacific Right Whale, too. Okay, don't anybody dare to grind pepper over my figure and trying to bite a chunk out of it! >:( ;D

I like the details of this figure, one of the best figures of this whale.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Thanks, Jetoar! :) I like it much more than the retired Schleich Right Whale which looks nice but has an inaccurate head.

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 23, 2013, 10:06:30 AM
Thanks, Jetoar! :) I like it much more than the retired Schleich Right Whale which looks nice but has an inaccurate head.

I think the same that you friend.

Ana

Very nice whale! Congratulations! :D
Quote from: brontodocus on January 23, 2013, 09:46:12 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 23, 2013, 03:33:41 AM
Nice figure, although the barnacles kind of look like it has scrambled egg stuck to its face :o
A little so, yes, probably. But that could be said about the Colorata DX North Pacific Right Whale, too. Okay, don't anybody dare to grind pepper over my figure and trying to bite a chunk out of it! >:( ;D

LOL!

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Mojö Fun Sea Life Humpback whale, Megaptera novaeangliae (Borowski, 1781). Total length (from tip of rostrum to median notch of fluke) is 235 mm, so the scale would be approx. 1:47 - 1:80. The human figure by Preiser is 1:72 scale.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

I like to much, It is the ehanced version of Schleich Humpback whale from my point of view. Thanks foe sahring again, I am thinking to buy Mojo figures in a future  ^-^.

brontodocus

Thanks, Jetoar! :) It shares some similarities with the Schleich 1:32 figure, indeed. I still think the Schleich figure is slightly more impressive (and still larger) but this one is very elegant for a Humpback Whale.

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on February 14, 2013, 11:38:11 PM
Thanks, Jetoar! :) It shares some similarities with the Schleich 1:32 figure, indeed. I still think the Schleich figure is slightly more impressive (and still larger) but this one is very elegant for a Humpback Whale.

You are welcome friend, I think the same that you and this figure is easier to keep than Schleich or Papo version  :P  ^-^.

~The Mandarin~

First in the Ogasawara series is the Humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) mother and calf. The adult measures approximately 10cm in length (1:150 scale).

Jetoar

My sister wants one of this  ^-^. It is her favorite whale  ^-^.

postsaurischian

brontodocus

Just when you begin to think "do we really need another humpback whale figure?". Yes we do! Wow, excellent! :) And quite big, too (for a Kitan Club), seems to be about as big as the Ocean 1 Humpback Whale.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the new 2014 Safari Ltd Wild Safari Sealife Bowhead Whale, Balaena mysticetus Linnaeus, 1758. This may be my favourite animal toy figure this year. Total length is approx. 225 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:53 and 1:88. The human figure (man packaged with Tyrannosaurus rex from the Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum Dinosaur Model set) is approx. 1:87 scale. Being the first internationally protected animal species, the Bowhead Whale population recovered from being hunted close to extinction until about 100 years ago to approx. 5,000-8,000 individuals today and is listed as "Least Concern" by IUCN.
Here is a link to the figure at Safari Ltd: http://safariltd.com/p/bowhead-whale-wild-safari-sea-life-figurines-205529
I am especially fond of the accuracy of the sculpt, only the paint job on the eye could have been a little less conspicuous.

Jetoar

Definetly is a good replica of this animal. This year is a Bowhead´s year with a Collecta figure also  ^-^.

brontodocus

Thanks, Jetoar! :) Yes, I hope the CollectA version will be great, too.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the CollectA Sea Life 2014 Bowhead Whale, Balaena mysticetus Linnaeus, 1758; item No. 88652. Total length is approx. 233 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:52 and 1:86. The human figure (man packaged with Triceratops from the Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum Dinosaur Model set) is a little over 24 mm high (excluding the base) and approx. 1:70 - 1:80 scale. Being the first internationally protected animal species, the Bowhead Whale population fortunately recovered from being hunted close to extinction about 100 years ago to a stable population of approx. 5,000-8,000 individuals today and is listed as "Least Concern" by IUCN.
It's quite remarkable that collectors witness the release of two Bowhead Whale figures this year, one by CollectA and one by Safari Ltd / WS Sealife - not only because good figures of balaenid whales in general and Bowhead Whales in particular are very scarce (the only other two figures I'm aware of are the much smaller versions by Kaiyodo Red Data Animals and Play Visions) but also because both figures are very similar in size. Yet they have some differences. While the matte colour of the CollectA may be more appealing the Safari Ltd is the (slightly) more accurate sculpt - CollectA's version here has a head that's more reminiscent of the Right Whales of the closely related genus Eubalaena (notch behind nostril less pronounced, mouthline less arched and less evenly rounded). Still both figures are very good (e.g. the upper jaws are quite narrow, something many figure makers got wrong in balaenid whale figures) and a major step forward for collectors of marine life figures.
Here is a link to the figure at CollectA's website: http://www.collecta.biz/en/collections/sea-life/88652

Jetoar

Really awesome replica  :o. I believe that it is better than Safari replica even. I like it a lot  ^-^.

brontodocus

many thanks, Jetoar!  :) I favour the Safari Ltd version but still this is a figure I'd highly recommend.

widukind

I only have the Playvisons bowhead whale but i will this figurine add to in my zoo because the size / scale is much better for a whale figurine  :)

widukind