News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Thoughts on Safari

Started by Sim, July 23, 2024, 09:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

Quote from: MudpupWaterdog on July 25, 2024, 09:00:59 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 25, 2024, 08:18:25 PMI'm guessing it's a maneless male lion, or maybe an Asiatic lion.

Maybe it's one of the lions of Tsavo...has Safari ever made a model of a specific individual animal before?

(I'm only half joking, I normally would not be interested in adding a lion to my collection, but a historically significant lion...)

Not an individual per se, but there was a specifically Angolan lion at one time. So it could be a regional one again.

Shane

I think folks are overthinking the cat...

Gwangi

Saarlooswolfhound

Is it just a localized variety of lion such as Angolan, Namib, etc? A Namib/desert lion would be neat.

sbell

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on July 26, 2024, 12:16:31 AMIs it just a localized variety of lion such as Angolan, Namib, etc? A Namib/desert lion would be neat.

I saw a Facebook suggestion for an American lion...

sphyrna18

Quote from: sbell on July 26, 2024, 12:35:32 AM
Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on July 26, 2024, 12:16:31 AMIs it just a localized variety of lion such as Angolan, Namib, etc? A Namib/desert lion would be neat.

Shane said it's an extant form of a common taxa.  That rules out American Lion

stargatedalek

Partially serious guessing attempt  :P

JimoAi

the tyrannosaur is 100% nanuqsaurus

sbell

Quote from: sphyrna18 on July 26, 2024, 12:54:46 AM

Missed that part.
Oh well.

Saarlooswolfhound

The Nanuqsaurus looks a bit like Appa from Avatar the Last Airbender. ;)

sphyrna18

Quote from: sbell on July 26, 2024, 03:20:40 AM
Quote from: sphyrna18 on July 26, 2024, 12:54:46 AM

Missed that part.
Oh well.

That was my first thought, too.  Until I saw what Shane said.   :o  ::)

bmathison1972

Well, I think from these hints I know it's something I probably won't get. If it's not a new species I am probably not going to get it; I am not going to get some unusual population or variant of a common animal (similarly as I didn't get the Type D orca). I might consider it if it turns out to be an Asiatic lion, but even then it's only a relict population and not technically a distinct taxon.

I also won't get the feathered tyrannosaur if it's Nanuqsaurus, as I just got in CollectA's and I am not going to replace it so soon.

That's OK; I still see myself getting probably at least five of these (bearded vulture, osprey, Austroraptor, Megalosaurus, domestic dog), which is more than enough to keep me happy!  ^-^

Shane

In case folks haven't seen the replies on Safari's Instagram.

The cat is an Adolescent Male Lion.

The dinosaurs are Austroraptor, Nanuqsaurus and Megalosaurus.

The domestic dog is a Pomeranian (with a "teddy bear" cut).

sbell

Quote from: Shane on July 26, 2024, 01:20:41 PMIn case folks haven't seen the replies on Safari's Instagram.

The cat is an Adolescent Male Lion.

The dinosaurs are Austroraptor, Nanuqsaurus and Megalosaurus.

The domestic dog is a Pomeranian (with a "teddy bear" cut).

Well that's a couple of dinos of interest at least!

Does make me wonder though, when will the Therizinosaurus be available!?

suspsy

So I have to ask: why does Safari barely make any large extant land animals anymore? No male Asian elephant, no African forest elephant, no gaur, no water buffalo, no Javan rhino, no Kodiak bear, no saltwater crocodile, no gharial, no elephant seal, etc. Granted, we got a killer whale last year, but the vast of Safari animals in recent years have been small. Is it a matter of budgeting or some other reason?

Saarlooswolfhound

Schleich did release a adolescent male lion back in the early 2000s, but I am excited to see this one in person!

sphyrna18

It looks like a new Saltasaurus is coming as well. If I read the fb post correctly

Sim

Safari has confirmed Saltasaurus will be one of their new for 2024 figures.

JimoAi

are there anymore new figures esp sea life?

Sim

Hi @Shane, on the Safari website the Safari cassowary doesn't appear in the section for its line.  It can still be found by searching for it though.

On the Toy Animal Wiki it says the Wild Safari Smilodon, Postosuchus and platypus are retired, but they all appear as normal on the Safari website.  Have they really been retired?  Also, do you know what year the Safari tree fern and Carnegie Plateosaurus were retired?