News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Thoughts on Safari

Started by Sim, July 23, 2024, 09:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

On the Dinosaur Toy Forum, there was speculation that Safari isn't doing very well financially, in part due to how Safari has changed how they release figures.  However, @Shane explained that it is due to coronavirus disrupting the process.  I think Safari still stands stong as one of the best companies, with their latest figures being some of their all-time best, such as two that I've acquired, the emerald tree boa and the grey parrot.  I'm eager to see what Safari will release next, Shane said a new figure is coming soon!

EpicRaptorMan

Well some of their quality of sculpts aren't the best nor are some of their paint jobs but they seem to the most diverse company (having the most amount of taxa when compared to Schleich, Mojo, Papo, and maybe CollectA) & partly due to there TOOBs, IC Line, etc...

Companies will continue to blame COVID-19 for whatever faults they have for as long as they can. Now it's gotten to the point where it shouldn't be a factor...and it shouldn't have in sometime. All the other companies have already unveiled and released their 2024 selection meanwhile, SafariLTD is falling behind. Don't know if they'll end up skipping 2024 altogether but we'll see.

I've always said that SafariLtd could be the undisputed king for Western Animal Toys (imo) if they would just covert alot of their TOOB and IC offerings into their standard sized toy line. And it seems they did this with the 2023 Silky Shark (which was once a TOOB exclusive). They already have the molds for the TOOB figures and it would be relatively easy to repurpose those molds into standard toys. Hell, I'd be satisfied if that was ALL they did for their 2024 releases.

sbell

I think they were hit by the disruptions pretty hard. It's a fairly small company, still family run, so small impacts hit differently.

That said, Safari has gone through lots of peaks and valleys, and I'm hoping they'll be back on an upswing soon.

One thing that is clear, their figures are miles ahead of where they once were.

I personally like toob sets though, but mostly for space reasons. I'd like them to take better advantage of making smaller fauna at that size to scale with larger figures.

Sim

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on July 23, 2024, 10:17:41 PMWell some of their quality of sculpts aren't the best nor are some of their paint jobs but they seem to the most diverse company (having the most amount of taxa when compared to Schleich, Mojo, Papo, and maybe CollectA) & partly due to there TOOBs, IC Line, etc...
About the some aren't the best part, that could be said for any company's figures I think.  I too think Safari is the best with species diversity, both for modern animals and prehistoric animals.

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on July 23, 2024, 10:17:41 PMCompanies will continue to blame COVID-19 for whatever faults they have for as long as they can. Now it's gotten to the point where it shouldn't be a factor...and it shouldn't have in sometime. All the other companies have already unveiled and released their 2024 selection meanwhile, SafariLTD is falling behind. Don't know if they'll end up skipping 2024 altogether but we'll see.
As Shane said, something new for 2024 will be shown soon.

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on July 23, 2024, 10:17:41 PMI've always said that SafariLtd could be the undisputed king for Western Animal Toys (imo) if they would just covert alot of their TOOB and IC offerings into their standard sized toy line. And it seems they did this with the 2023 Silky Shark (which was once a TOOB exclusive). They already have the molds for the TOOB figures and it would be relatively easy to repurpose those molds into standard toys. Hell, I'd be satisfied if that was ALL they did for their 2024 releases.
Some Safari species were released both at toob and larger figures in the same year too, e.g. oceanic whitetip shark, tuatara.  What species would you like Safari to make as standard-sized figures?

Shane

I would keep an eye on things happening later this week and this weekend on the West Coast, if you're interested in what's coming...just a little hint.

Safari as a company is doing fine. But I'll let you in on a secret that isn't really a secret. Safari as a company is not trying to be the undisputed king of Western Animal toys.

They are a children's toy company, and while detailed and accurate animal and prehistoric toys are a part of that, and hopefully always will be, the fact is that the animal toy market is more competitive than ever and relying solely on one avenue of product is not as viable a path as it once may have been.

Safari has opened physical toy stores in their local market, and also serves as a distributor for certain brands in North America (such as EUGY, Geoworld, and more recently ODDY Toy Building Kits).

Before anyone jumps in to argue with me about the merits of this, please understand that it isn't something I have any particular say in and I'm not here to share my opinions on it. I'm just telling you how things are. This doesn't mean Safari isn't going to continue to make its core figures of extant and prehistoric animals, mythical creatures, etc. But they are broadening and diversifying into a wider range of what it means to be a children's toy company.

MudpupWaterdog

I'm not a brand purist, but as someone based in the USA who collects mainly fish and inverts and started collecting as a kid in the '90s, my collection is probably half or more Safari. Papo and Collecta both have some great offerings, but Papo has far fewer of the types of animals that I collect, and Collecta is not always easily available. Safari makes great marine life, and I like the diversity of both the Toobs and the Incredible Creatures lines.

I'm glad to hear that Safari is doing well. Over the past six-ish months I've traveled a bit, and I was sad to notice a diminished presence in institutional gift shops - there were few or no Safari figures in the gift shops of the Seattle Aquarium, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Niagara Aquarium, Shedd Aquarium, New York City Aquarium, Field Museum, Lincoln Park Zoo, or the Buffalo Museum of Science. The American Museum of Natural History, the Museum of the Earth in Ithaca, and the Buffalo Zoo luckily still had some Safari figures for sale. As a kid I used to get so many Safari figures from visiting places like this, but most of the gift shops only sold plush toys (maybe a concern about overuse of plastic?) or super cheap bagged Chinamals.

But more to Sim's question, they're my favorite of the big companies. Looking forward to 2024 announcements!
(fingers crossed for Hawai`i Toob)

Quote from: Sim on July 23, 2024, 11:02:24 PMWhat species would you like Safari to make as standard-sized figures?
Personally I'd love to get a standard sized Wels catfish, American crocodile, Amazon dolphin, or gharial from Safari, and a 1:1 sardine from the pelagic Toob, Weta, or eel from the Europe toob would also be rad choices for the Incredible Creatures line.

Gwangi

Quote from: MudpupWaterdog on July 24, 2024, 09:56:51 PMI'm not a brand purist, but as someone based in the USA who collects mainly fish and inverts and started collecting as a kid in the '90s, my collection is probably half or more Safari. Papo and Collecta both have some great offerings, but Papo has far fewer of the types of animals that I collect, and Collecta is not always easily available. Safari makes great marine life, and I like the diversity of both the Toobs and the Incredible Creatures lines.

I'm glad to hear that Safari is doing well. Over the past six-ish months I've traveled a bit, and I was sad to notice a diminished presence in institutional gift shops - there were few or no Safari figures in the gift shops of the Seattle Aquarium, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Niagara Aquarium, Shedd Aquarium, New York City Aquarium, Field Museum, Lincoln Park Zoo, or the Buffalo Museum of Science. The American Museum of Natural History, the Museum of the Earth in Ithaca, and the Buffalo Zoo luckily still had some Safari figures for sale. As a kid I used to get so many Safari figures from visiting places like this, but most of the gift shops only sold plush toys (maybe a concern about overuse of plastic?) or super cheap bagged Chinamals.

But more to Sim's question, they're my favorite of the big companies. Looking forward to 2024 announcements!
(fingers crossed for Hawai`i Toob)

Quote from: Sim on July 23, 2024, 11:02:24 PMWhat species would you like Safari to make as standard-sized figures?
Personally I'd love to get a standard sized Wels catfish, American crocodile, Amazon dolphin, or gharial from Safari, and a 1:1 sardine from the pelagic Toob, Weta, or eel from the Europe toob would also be rad choices for the Incredible Creatures line.

Safari also has the best selection of North American wildlife, which is of special interest to me. Things like the American badger, bobcat, collard peccary, coyote, roseate spoonbill, Virginia opossum, northern mockingbird. These are animals that the other companies from Europe and Asia seem to have no interest in producing. 

Sim

I too am happy to hear Safari is doing well!  On the subject of what we appreciate about Safari with regards to modern animals, I have to say I'm grateful for the Wings of the world line.  It's great to have bird figures regularly!  CollectA, who is praised for their diveristy in their prehistoric animal line, tends to have terrible diversity in their modern animal line, with almost only mammals.  They've never even made one parrot!

I'm looking forward to the reveal of something for 2024 from Safari!

Shane

Quote from: Sim on July 24, 2024, 10:39:48 PMI too am happy to hear Safari is doing well!  On the subject of what we appreciate about Safari with regards to modern animals, I have to say I'm grateful for the Wings of the world line.  It's great to have bird figures regularly!  CollectA, who is praised for their diveristy in their prehistoric animal line, tends to have terrible diversity in their modern animal line, with almost only mammals.  They've never even made one parrot!

Wings of the World fans should have something to be happy about soon.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Shane on July 25, 2024, 01:25:39 AM
Quote from: Sim on July 24, 2024, 10:39:48 PMI too am happy to hear Safari is doing well!  On the subject of what we appreciate about Safari with regards to modern animals, I have to say I'm grateful for the Wings of the world line.  It's great to have bird figures regularly!  CollectA, who is praised for their diveristy in their prehistoric animal line, tends to have terrible diversity in their modern animal line, with almost only mammals.  They've never even made one parrot!

Wings of the World fans should have something to be happy about soon.

Ooooo! The WoW series is one of my favorites of Safari. Just hoping it's a species I need LOL.

EpicRaptorMan

Saddle-billed stork, crowned crane, and frigate bird would all be A1 for me

Shane

If anyone wants to start speculating, you can zoom in on the bottom of the latest Safari Instagram story from Preview Night at Comic Con.

Though I imagine clearer picture and video will be shared tomorrow at some point.

MudpupWaterdog

Since some of you may not have Instagram:

And zooming in on the bottom...

If that's a mahi-mahi in the lower right then I'm buying it immediately.

EpicRaptorMan

Obviously some form of bird of prey. I would assume Osprey.

Sim

It does look like an osprey, but there's what looks like a bearded vulture too!  And the prehistoric animals look exciting too!

Saarlooswolfhound

Bearded vulture! A new dog or cat! And a possible spinosaurid? Exciting!

NSD Bashe

Quote from: MudpupWaterdog on July 25, 2024, 02:34:54 AMIf that's a mahi-mahi in the lower right then I'm buying it immediately.

Same.

sbell

Quote from: NSD Bashe on July 25, 2024, 03:11:56 AM
Quote from: MudpupWaterdog on July 25, 2024, 02:34:54 AMIf that's a mahi-mahi in the lower right then I'm buying it immediately.

Same.

Definitely. I hope they release quickly!

BlueKrono

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on July 25, 2024, 02:37:18 AMObviously some form of bird of prey. I would assume Osprey.

An osprey would be my most wanted bird.
I like turtles.

Gwangi

Osprey is one of my most wanted too and I definitely think that's an osprey. The mahi-mahi is also exciting for me.