News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Thoughts on Safari

Started by Sim, July 23, 2024, 09:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isidro

It's barely visible but I think it looks like more a bearded vulture than an osprey.

EpicRaptorMan

Quote from: Isidro on July 25, 2024, 05:07:04 AMIt's barely visible but I think it looks like more a bearded vulture than an osprey.
There appears to be three new additions there. An osprey, bearded vulture, and mahi-mahi

bmathison1972

Also looks like a new red fox. With regards to dog/cat, looks like a domestic dog on the left and a lynx/bobcat like animal on the upper right. Oh, and three Doug Watson theropods, I hope?!?!

Without knowing full reveals, I will probably be getting the osprey and bearded vulture (both new species for me), the three theropods (assuming new genera for me), and probably the domestic carnivoran. I won't be getting the mahi mahi; I am content with Colorata's.

Sim

There's some more images of the new Safari figures on the Dinosaur Toy Forum!  The bearded vulture and unenlagiine look extremely good!  Also, @Saarlooswolfhound it looks like there will be two new dog figures!

Shane

Quote from: Sim on July 25, 2024, 05:40:21 PM...it looks like there will be two new dog figures!

It looks like the Shiba Inu found its way onto that table somehow. That's not an upcoming figure (you can see it's got its hangtag attached). There ARE two new canid figures though.

Sim

Oh, thanks for the correction Shane! :))

NSD Bashe

The newest images of that mahi-mahi/dorado/dolphinfish on the Dinosaur Toy Forum look epic; I only wonder if the stomach will label it as mahi-mahi, dorado or dolphinfish...

Shane

Quote from: NSD Bashe on July 25, 2024, 06:56:17 PMThe newest images of that mahi-mahi/dorado/dolphinfish on the Dinosaur Toy Forum look epic; I only wonder if the stomach will label it as mahi-mahi, dorado or dolphinfish...

It will be labeled and marketed as Mahi-Mahi.

Saarlooswolfhound

I LOVE that summer coat fox and pomeranian!

bmathison1972

Discussions on the three theropods on the DTF suggest any one of multiple genera. I am sure to get any and all that are new for me. Now that better pics are revealed, I am planning on getting the bearded vulture, osprey, Pomeranian, and any dinosaurs that are new taxa. The fox, mahi mahi, and lioness look great, but I don't need those taxa replaced in my collection.

Shane

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 25, 2024, 07:52:58 PMThe fox, mahi mahi, and lioness look great, but I don't need those taxa replaced in my collection.

It's not a lioness  ;)  And while you probably do have the taxa represented, you likely don't have this specific example of the taxa (I'm not sure it exists elsewhere in figure form, at least not that I've found).

bmathison1972

Quote from: Shane on July 25, 2024, 08:07:27 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 25, 2024, 07:52:58 PMThe fox, mahi mahi, and lioness look great, but I don't need those taxa replaced in my collection.

It's not a lioness  ;)  And while you probably do have the taxa represented, you likely don't have this specific example of the taxa (I'm not sure it exists elsewhere in figure form, at least not that I've found).

you know...I wondered if it might be some prehistoric cat but I didn't want to jump to that conclusion. Oh well, extinct or extant, if it's 1) new taxa and 2) good size based on similar taxa in my collection, I am sure to get it LOL

Shane

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 25, 2024, 08:09:34 PMyou know...I wondered if it might be some prehistoric cat but I didn't want to jump to that conclusion. Oh well, extinct or extant, if it's 1) new taxa and 2) good size based on similar taxa in my collection, I am sure to get it LOL

It's extant, and it is a taxa that most people have, just not in this particular form.

I'm debating just giving it away but I like to see people guess.

bmathison1972

Nah, don't tell us. Make us wait for the formal reveal  C:-)  8)  >:D

Gwangi

I'm guessing it's a maneless male lion, or maybe an Asiatic lion.

MudpupWaterdog

Quote from: Gwangi on July 25, 2024, 08:18:25 PMI'm guessing it's a maneless male lion, or maybe an Asiatic lion.

Maybe it's one of the lions of Tsavo...has Safari ever made a model of a specific individual animal before?

(I'm only half joking, I normally would not be interested in adding a lion to my collection, but a historically significant lion...)

sphyrna18

After the Type D Orca, my money is on Asiatic Lion.

Saarlooswolfhound

It would be neat if Safari did a few more cryptid figures. I.e. another big cat could be a marozi. But an Asiatic lion is welcome!

EpicRaptorMan

Looks more like a maneless lion to me than an Asiatic Lion (assuming it's supposed to be ♂️)

suspsy

Well, my hope for a new Asian elephant gets dashed again. But all these new toys look nice.