News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Shark Week 2024

Started by Gwangi, June 08, 2024, 01:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Happy to see that I was wrong, on both counts! Shark Week 2024 is shaping up to be a good one, with content better than what they'll likely have on Discovery.

sbell

Quote from: sbell on June 08, 2024, 10:17:30 PMLooking over what I have, I could try to work up the Discovery Shark week Angular rough shark or Pyjama shark. It's just a matter of timing with those (I'll want to get it done before I leave on the 23rd of June...for 2 weeks!)

@bmathison1972 you can put me down for the Discovery Science pyjama shark. Tempted to tackle the rough shark too...but I have enough on the plate right now!

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on June 09, 2024, 10:13:06 PM
Quote from: sbell on June 08, 2024, 10:17:30 PMLooking over what I have, I could try to work up the Discovery Shark week Angular rough shark or Pyjama shark. It's just a matter of timing with those (I'll want to get it done before I leave on the 23rd of June...for 2 weeks!)

@bmathison1972 you can put me down for the Discovery Science pyjama shark. Tempted to tackle the rough shark too...but I have enough on the plate right now!

Done! Reminds me, you know the most famous fisherman to catch pyjama sharks? Longjohns Silver  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 09, 2024, 10:48:42 PM
Quote from: sbell on June 09, 2024, 10:13:06 PM

Done! Reminds me, you know the most famous fisherman to catch pyjama sharks? Longjohns Silver  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Are you a dad? Because those are definitely dad jokes.

Fun thing, I got on a roll and already wrote most of my shark one... after the first salamander one. Just kind of knocked it out.

Which, again, will be helpful since I won't really be around much right before, so best to have it done well in advance

Alopias superciliosus

@bmathison1972 The Wobbegong is great for me for now, thanks! Between the Wobbegong, Smoooth-Hound, and Dwarf Lantern Shark atm... almost tempted to do multiple (if that would be of interest) even though I realistically probably don't have the time either; I can let you know!

sbell

Quote from: Alopias superciliosus on June 10, 2024, 01:54:49 AM@bmathison1972 The Wobbegong is great for me for now, thanks! Between the Wobbegong, Smoooth-Hound, and Dwarf Lantern Shark atm... almost tempted to do multiple (if that would be of interest) even though I realistically probably don't have the time either; I can let you know!

I'd be especially curious for the lantern shark. There's been a few Octonauts species that were intriguing but I never really tried hard to find...!

Gwangi

I don't think I want Octonaut toys in my collection, no matter the species. My daughter had a bunch when she was younger though.

Alopias superciliosus

Totally understand that, they wouldn't be to everyone's taste for their collections! As someone with a species-based collection (trying to acquire a representative of every shark species that has been produced), the Dwarf Lantern Shark is one I was interested in getting.

Never had an Octonauts toy before myself, so I'll see how I like the quality and design in person when it arrives and see whether it's worth a review!

BlueKrono

Quote from: Alopias superciliosus on June 10, 2024, 01:32:09 PMTotally understand that, they wouldn't be to everyone's taste for their collections! As someone with a species-based collection (trying to acquire a representative of every shark species that has been produced), the Dwarf Lantern Shark is one I was interested in getting.

Never had an Octonauts toy before myself, so I'll see how I like the quality and design in person when it arrives and see whether it's worth a review!

There's always the 2018 one too:
https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Discovery_science_Lantern_shark
I like turtles.

Alopias superciliosus

True, I also have that one. I use it as a Smooth Lantern Shark because the picture they used on the back of the box declaring it a "Lantern Shark" is (to the best of my knowledge) a Smooth Lantern Shark. Although it's a generic enough sculpt that it can be used as pretty much any Lantern Shark species.

I know there's also a generic Lantern Shark from the K&M  bouncy balls that @sbell reviewed for a previous Shark Week! Unfortunately don't have that one yet though (that one, and a few others from those balls, remain some of my biggest ISOs).

bmathison1972

Quote from: Alopias superciliosus on June 10, 2024, 06:05:58 PMTrue, I also have that one. I use it as a Smooth Lantern Shark because the picture they used on the back of the box declaring it a "Lantern Shark" is (to the best of my knowledge) a Smooth Lantern Shark. Although it's a generic enough sculpt that it can be used as pretty much any Lantern Shark species.

I know there's also a generic Lantern Shark from the K&M  bouncy balls that @sbell reviewed for a previous Shark Week! Unfortunately don't have that one yet though (that one, and a few others from those balls, remain some of my biggest ISOs).

@Alopias superciliosus - I have it as a southern lanternshark. Here is my justification in my daily Museum post (although I also considered smooth, if I remember correctly):

https://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2715.msg41682#msg41682

Alopias superciliosus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 10, 2024, 06:19:33 PM
Quote from: Alopias superciliosus on June 10, 2024, 06:05:58 PMTrue, I also have that one. I use it as a Smooth Lantern Shark because the picture they used on the back of the box declaring it a "Lantern Shark" is (to the best of my knowledge) a Smooth Lantern Shark. Although it's a generic enough sculpt that it can be used as pretty much any Lantern Shark species.

@Alopias superciliosus - I have it as a southern lanternshark. Here is my justification in my daily Museum post (although I also considered smooth, if I remember correctly):

https://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2715.msg41682#msg41682

I think that's a better ID, thanks @bmathison1972 ! I had tried reverse image searching that picture from the packaging and only found it in two places- that Forbes article where no species name is given and a dubious wiki page where it's labeled as a Smooth Lantern Shark. The Southern lantern shark actually being featured in the Alien Sharks show the Discovery set is based on is compelling! And looking again, the shark in the image looks more like a Southern than a Smooth Lantern Shark. I'll go with Southern! (glad it isn't a Dwarf Lantern Shark, or my Octonauts purchase would've been for nau(gh)t  ;)  )

Saarlooswolfhound

I would be happy to participate but I need to check what I do have and what has been done already. I will see if I can find something to contribute with.

sbell

Yeah, in hindsight I should have picked up more. There's some interesting little ones in there, and good sizes for scaled collections!

JimoAi

I'm doing the laugh and grow fat sea life series 1 for shark week which includes the most famous shark and a known predator of sharks.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 08, 2024, 01:39:46 PMWOw @Gwangi - is it that time of year again???

I will participate; I'll will do the Toymany Japanese sawshark!!!

I'll start and maintain the sign-up sheet here:

July 7:
July 8:
July 9:
July 10:
July 11:
July 12:
July 13:
pending date: Safari silky shark - Gwangi
pending date: Toymany Japanese sawshark - bmathison1972
pending date: Safari MBA sawfish - callmejoe
pending date: Schleich wobbegong - Alopias
pending date: Discovery Science pyjama shark - sbell
pending date: Laugh and Grow fat GWS - JimoAi

Okay, so because I knew time would be tight later, I already got my shark review done! I'm going to post it for 9th (2pm BST) but if I mess that up because of time zones, just change it--as long as it kicks in on the 9th!

JimoAi

I'm doing the whole set at once not just the great white

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on June 16, 2024, 05:06:24 AMOkay, so because I knew time would be tight later, I already got my shark review done! I'm going to post it for 9th (2pm BST) but if I mess that up because of time zones, just change it--as long as it kicks in on the 9th!

I'll put you down for the 9th

Quote from: JimoAi on June 16, 2024, 05:38:58 AMI'm doing the whole set at once not just the great white

Got it.

Saarlooswolfhound

Are prehistoric sharks fair game? I can sign up for the 7th, that's my birthday. ;) That'll help me remember my deadline.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on June 16, 2024, 05:47:57 PMAre prehistoric sharks fair game? I can sign up for the 7th, that's my birthday. ;) That'll help me remember my deadline.

That's an interesting question. I am hesitant to say no, because that's why there is a Dino Toy Blog. Exceptions can occur for recently extinct animals (dodo, thylacine), but I think all marine sharks, even Cenozoic, are prehistoric.

I'd rather have @AnimalToyForum have the final say, but I would guess no, prehistoric sharks are not fair game for ATB. Adam?

I'll put you down for the 7th in the meantime.