News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Donkeys!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

Thanks Kiki, it helps that this was about half of my original collection as a kid, before I turned info a bonafide collector in real practice. ;)

Mixed horses: Lusitano, Holsteiner, Mangalarga Marchador, Selle Francais, and Criollo.

Lusitano- originates from Portugal! It hails from Baroque period horses that the aristocracy preferred. Another ancient breed, its ancestors were painted on cave walls dating back to 1700BC. The breed is well known for its athleticism, this is the equine foil to the Spanish Bull in the ring. Praised for its agility and reflexes in evading injury from an angry 2,000+ lbs bovine. They are now in nearly any solid color; spotted eas once common but slowly bred out and is now rare.

Holstein(er)- this breed is from Northern Germany and were originally developed by monks located in monasteries in the region previously know as Holstein. It is the oldest "warmblood"(a term for a group of medium sized riding horses primarily bred for sports) horse, earliesy records present in the 13th century.
The breed is athletic and disciplined; in 1976 it was a prominent breed that excelled during the olympics. Originally used for farmwork and mounted cavalry, today they are predominantly athletes; excelling in dressage, hunting, driving, show jumping, and much more.

Mangalarga Marchador- this is a Brazilian breed and is named after the hacienda that they originated from. Famously known for their unique gaits; the marcha batida and marcha picada (unique 4 beat gaits that reduce friction and are comfortable for riders). They are also known for their extensive long distance pursuits- the record is from 1994 and was 8,694 miles! They were developes from portuguese Alter Real horses and local Criollo stock; they are the national horse for the country.

Selle Francais- a much younger breed from France, it began development in the 19th century and its modern name by 1958. This breed is also a top athlete similar to the Holstein; excelling in dressage, eventing, and the like. Originally it was a trusted cavalry mount and carriage horse. Native horses were breed to warmblood studs such as arabians, thoroughbreds, and Norfolk trotters. The name means "French saddle horse".

Criollo- These guys come from the South American Pampas and were developes from Spanish feral horses that were around for 300 years before they were organized into a breed circa 1920. Orignlinally used for war mounts for use in Europe and Africa today they make great ranch animals for their cow sense, and some sports such as reining; gAuchos even play polo on them! They are a relatively small horse and present some primitive traits such as leg striping and thick manes and tails.

Saarlooswolfhound

Camargues!

Where can a white horse, a black bull, and a pink flamingo all live in harmony? In Camargue!

This small horse comes from the South of France, the region of their namesake, Camargue, around the Rhone River. Another ancient breed, it is thought they descend from the now extinct Solutré horse. Despite their small size, they are strong and hardy, and perhaps the most water loving of all horses since they developed in marshy areas. Their hooves are hard and very flat/wide, helping them navigate intertidal and marshy terrain. Perhaps of most interest, is that they are immune to mosquitos! Commonly used for farm and ranchwork, they make great trail riding animals today. An important part of their work is herding the Camargue cattle from the marshy ranchland. There is a myth involving the Greek god Poseidon, white horses, black bulls, and man; but I will leave you to discover that story for yourself.

BlueKrono

I like turtles.

EpicRaptorMan

Shouldn't this thread be renamed to Curious Compendium "2024"?

Saarlooswolfhound

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on August 22, 2024, 06:19:26 AMShouldn't this thread be renamed to Curious Compendium "2024"?
This topic started in 2023, so I'm keeping the title as it is. Once I am done presenting here it'll all be on my website from there forward.

If it bothers people, I guess I can change it to 2023-2024; but likely it won't wrap up presentation until 2025...

Quote from: BlueKrono on August 22, 2024, 03:39:59 AMHow can I get immune to mosquitoes?

I know right? I developed a horrible allergy to bites in adulthood and they swell up to the size of tea saucers!

Saarlooswolfhound

Percherons!

These are my favorite draft breed, though one other has a special place in my heart to be discussed later. They were originally developed from the Huisne river valley and Perche province in Normandy, France. They are thought to be descended from war horse stock, hence their bulky frames. Generally, they are about the 4th largest breed, but Dr. LeGear was once the world's biggest horse at 21 hh and 2,995 lbs! They have draft animals for anything you can think of! War, circuses, sleigh/hay rides, stagecoaches/carriages, farm work, transportation of goods, forrestry; they have been used in Disneyland pulling trams, at Arlington National Cemetery for funeral processions, amongst other high profile jobs. They can pull loads of more than 300 lbs! This breed is unique to other drafts in a few features; they lack heavy feathering (the long hair around the feet), are quite energetic and active in comparison, and can be ridden for miles without tiring (it is thought that Arabian and Barb outcrossing is responsible for this).  Their intelligence, easy going nature, and willingness to please makes them popular for adaptation to other disciplines (they've even been seen used in dressage and western riding!).

I love these horses, for no particular reason. They were always my favorite to see and visit at my local autumn fair in Southeastern Idaho. It was the state fair, and thus hundreds of animals would come to be judged and shown. The percherons, while not the largest, were always the ones interested in coming to their stall door to say hello and get some scratches under the forelock. Lovely and gorgeous animals.

Saarlooswolfhound

Another mixed breed photo- Chincoteague, Bashkir, and Morgan horses.

Chincoteague horses are thought to be descended from Spanish shipwreck(s) on Eastern US coasts. They share a lot of similarities to the American Mustang because of this- small bodied, very muscular and stocky build, and thick winter coats of any color. One striking difference from their island life is that because they eat the sea salty cord grass of islands like Assateague, they have to drink more freshwater to expell the extra salt.

American Curly horses have mysterious origins; they were first found roaming the American West and their unique curly coated hide was selectively bred for ever since. Three curly coated horses were found in Nevada in 1898 im the Peter Hanson Mountain Range.  It is believed to be the only hypoallergenic horse, and ever hair on the body is curled in some way (the hide, mane and tail, even inside the ears and the eyelashes!).

The Morgan horse is a small bodied animal with enormous potential! They all come from one stud, named Figure, who was owned by Justin Morgan in early American history. This small colt was renowned for his endurance, strength, speed, and all around work hardiness. These traits, as luck would have it, were strong in carrying onto any of his offpsring and any of theirs down the line. This small horse is no stranger to other disciplines also, they make excellent riding mounts, dressage, carriage horses , you name it and they can turn a hand- or hoof- to it!

Gwangi

I live near Assateague so I see the horses there all the time. For obvious reasons the CollectA Chincoteague was the first horse I got for my collection, I fear I may have started something with that.

Saarlooswolfhound

Oh wow, that's really neat Gwangi! I would love to see them in person someday. And if you started something with buying that model... I mean you could be doing something much worse than buying a pony model!

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on August 26, 2024, 04:39:25 PMOh wow, that's really neat Gwangi! I would love to see them in person someday. And if you started something with buying that model... I mean you could be doing something much worse than buying a pony model!

Well I wasn't originally going to collect domestic horse breeds but had to make an exception for this local feral breed. And it snowballs from there. You know how it is. I still don't have many horse models but I've resigned to the fact that if I see one I like then I'll get it. Trying to stick to CollectA though, who I think does the best horses at this scale.

Saarlooswolfhound

I understand. CollectA does make very fine equines, and lots of them. I always love to be devil's advocate though; perhaps you could consider other feral/wild and otherwise primitive breeds? The American Mustang, Appaloosa, Yakutian, Mongol, Przewalski... There's a few to choose from. ;)

EpicRaptorMan

So far the only horse I have is Schleich's old Przewalski and I'm fine with.

Might consider getting an American Mustang if I ever stumble across one that is good.

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on August 26, 2024, 07:22:58 PMI understand. CollectA does make very fine equines, and lots of them. I always love to be devil's advocate though; perhaps you could consider other feral/wild and otherwise primitive breeds? The American Mustang, Appaloosa, Yakutian, Mongol, Przewalski... There's a few to choose from. ;)

Oh, I'll definitely get those too. I have CollectA's Przewalski stallion, I suppose that was technically my first horse figure. And the CollectA Yakutian has been on my radar since seeing the blog review of it.

sbell

Quote from: Gwangi on August 26, 2024, 05:31:35 PM
Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on August 26, 2024, 04:39:25 PMOh wow, that's really neat Gwangi! I would love to see them in person someday. And if you started something with buying that model... I mean you could be doing something much worse than buying a pony model!

Well I wasn't originally going to collect domestic horse breeds but had to make an exception for this local feral breed. And it snowballs from there. You know how it is. I still don't have many horse models but I've resigned to the fact that if I see one I like then I'll get it. Trying to stick to CollectA though, who I think does the best horses at this scale.

I'm the same. Don't really collect horses, but do get the wild ones like Przewalski's and the CollectA wild ass

And the Papo zorse because it's just so weird!

Gwangi

Quote from: sbell on August 26, 2024, 07:52:54 PM

I'm the same. Don't really collect horses, but do get the wild ones like Przewalski's and the CollectA wild ass

I didn't know Papo made a zorse, that would be a fun one to add to the collection. I have the CollectA wild ass too, great figure.

sbell

Quote from: Gwangi on August 26, 2024, 11:35:51 PM
Quote from: sbell on August 26, 2024, 07:52:54 PM

I didn't know Papo made a zorse, that would be a fun one to add to the collection. I have the CollectA wild ass too, great figure.

It didn't last long. Same year as the gharial.

I lucked upon it in a local shop

Saarlooswolfhound

Speaking of zorses...

And now, a large number of breeds in one shot!
Rocky Mountain Horse, Camarillo, Sorraia, Yakutian, Westphalian, Orlov Trotter, American Saddlebred, Zorse:

The Rocky Mountain Horse is certainly a flashy breed. There are two types of this breed; the foundation type and the modern type. Despite its name, it actually was developed in the Appalachian mountains of Kentucky, but the foundation stallion originally came from the Rockies and his name was, well... the "Rocky Mountain Horse". He arrived in Kentucky around 1890 and his chocolate coat paired with his flaxen mane and a seemingly natural gaited trait he was crossed to local mares and the rest is history. His actual original breed was never ascertained, but given his movement style it was likely one of the pacer type breeds known along the East coast. Just like these gaited breeds, the RMH is a pleasure to ride and certainly a "looker". This unique coat color comes from a silver dapple gene expressed through a deep chocolate flaxen color. This is by far the most popular, but the breed can be any color!

The Camarillo is a breed that is newer on the scene- within the 20th century. The breed originated with a white mustang stud named Sultan and was owned by Adolfo Camarillo. Being crossed with Morgan horse mares and trying to maintain the white color, a new breed was born. The breed nearly went extinct when Mr. Camarillo and his daughter who initially took over the project, passed. By the year 1991 only 11 of these horses were left! Luckily the need for protection was recognized and private breeders were able to revive the breed. Truly a white horse, not a gray horse that pales with age (you can tell by the skin color- a "gray" horse has dark skin around the eyes and nose, a truly "white" horse has pink skin) colts of this breed stay pearly white as they age. This is even more incredibly given that many genes that code for white coloration often lead to a low survival rate as it pairs with a variety of congenital problems. They can be used for nearly any purpose such as work and general riding, but they are very popular as parade horses.

The Sorraia is one of the rarest breeds in the world, with only 200 worldwide! They get their name from 2 prominent rivers in the Iberian Peninsula, the Sor and Raia. A zoologist rediscovered the breed on one of his hunting trips to the area and their very primitive look reminded him of zebras or wild asses. He caught 7 mares and 4 stallions and the breed developed from there. Their primitive markings include striping on their legs and withers (shoulder around the end of the mane and beginning of their back) as well as their sooty gray coloration- in this breed the pattern is called "hair stroke". While being easily trained and domesticated, they are often described as more aloof with their owners than other horses and feel more comfortable in herds of their own.

The Yakutian is a hardy Siberian breed used not only for riding but also for meat and milk and clothing. The breed became what it is today during the 13th-15th centuries and have 3 main types- the Northern is the purest of them and most zebra looking, the Larger Souther type has been crossed with many other Siberian breeds, and the smaller Southern type is considered "less valuable" and is much shorter in stature. These animals can survive in -70 C weather, have wide feet used to travel in and push around snow, lose and gain 20% of their weight with the change of the seasons, and have a variety of metabolic changes to deal with the weather. Mares can produce 1200-1700 kg of milk in 6 months!

Westphalian horses come from this region in Germany. This warmblood horse was often used for cavalry historically and now are common for show jumping and dressage. They date back to Roman times and the wild horses that lived in the marshlands of Westphalia, but organized breeding began in 1836 for the military and nobles. They are tallest of warm-blooded horses and have an excellent work ethic and fondness for having a job.

The Orlov Trotter comes to us from Russia and named after its trotting ability and competing in trotting races. They are usually gray in color but can be a number of colors including bay, black, and chestnut.  The breed was created by Count Alexei Orlov and originated from crossing an Arabian stallion with local mares. Over time the breed became a carriage and racing horse.

The American Saddlebred began in the 1700s when American Colonists brought thoroughbreds from England and crossed them to the now extinct Narragansett Pacer. Another highly gaited horse, it was comfortable to ride for long distances. Once called "Kentucky Saddlers" they were often preferred by military officers of note such as General Grant, Lee, Jackson, and Sherman during the Civil War. They are considered the oldest organized American breed! They are described as having intelligent, curious, and energetic personalities. Because of this they are adaptable to a number of disciplines including farm work (cutting, roping, pulling, etc.) and show performances (eventing, jumping, dressage, etc.). They have some unique gaits being a gaited breed, such as the "stepping pace" and "rack". This is one breed with a registry for half breeds! (the Half American Saddlebred Registry of America).

And lastly, the zorse! These are the offspring of a zebra stallion and a horse mare while a zebroid is often used to distinguish a stallion horse and a zebra mare. Generally this is something that is thought to happen in captivity, but it has been recorded in the wild too. The offspring are just like mules and are sterile. There is record of dwarfism being present in many of these animals; the result of 2 animals in the same genus but each has a different number of chromosomes (something similar but opposite happens in ligers- the offpsring of male lions and female tigers- who experience gigantism while dwarfism occurs in Tigons- the reverse breeding situation). Physically, each offpsring can look very different, but they are often considered even more useful for farmwork than a mule given their resistance to diseases and pests. And of course, just as there are several species of zebra and breeds of horse, not all zorses are created equal! There are even zonkeys as well; in captivity and in the wild.

Saarlooswolfhound

Also, we are now halfway through my equine collection!

NSD Bashe

Well I've counted 201 so far, so if that's only halfway you must have...  a whole LOTTA horses!

Saarlooswolfhound

Clydesdales!

This large breed comes to us from Scotland! They stand at about 16-18 hh and often have such large hooves that they don't fit into plowed rows, making them a better fit for other kinds of work; such as logging, hauling items like coal, etc. Today they are popular show horses and parade animals given their lovely brown color and white feathered feet. They can be other colors such as black or even roan, and sometimes have white markings on their body other than their face and legs. One unique trait about this breed is that they can often develop twin foals to term; this is a very uncommon thing in other breeds.