News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Donkeys!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

There really are, many more than what is shown here. Its a shame that domestic livestock in general doesn't get a little more attention... But now that you mention it, horses are indeed the category for presentation. Hopefully it doesn't turn everyone off this thread.  ;) I am hoping to make it as educational as possible!

Shane

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on July 30, 2024, 05:22:45 AMFinally back!

The last of the cattle, just the ones who don't fit into one distinct breed.

Cattle are very social animals and will make close bonds with 20-30 other individuals in their herd. Cattle cannot see the color red, it is supposed to appear as yellow or gray to them (sorry matadors). Cattle chew their feed up to 40,000 times a day! Their 4 chambered stomach (the rumen, reticulum, omasum, and abomasum), is an amazing structure. The reticulum is what produces the cud (a soft taffy-like material they regurgitate to rechew), the rumen is the fermenting tank that uses bacteria to break down their food, the omasum is primarily used to absorb water from the food, the abomasum (the "true" stomach) is the final and most vital part of digestion where enzymes are produced to create the final digestible product for the animal.

I had that bull in the back row, 2nd from the left, and it was one of my favorite figures for a long time. I got it at Harrod's during a trip to London when I was 11 years old. I treasured it for many years until an unfortunate incident in which the family dog ate its feet.

Saarlooswolfhound

Saarlooswolfhound

Alrighty, we are off to the races! The horse races of course. ;)

Another category that I know is quite niche here. But I hope that I can present it in a way that you may learn a thing or two, or perhaps gain a little more appreciation for our equine partners. After all, we would not have gotten far without them.

Before I begin, just to explain a little of the rotation I am using; there are 3 categories horses can be sorted into to describe their general purpose or build. These are the draft/draught type; horses used for working. The lighter built "riding" type; animals used for general purpose use. And then the "pony" type; usually animals of a very small stature, large personality, and at least in modern day are often more of utility as a pet.

A horse is a horse unless of course... it is a leopard(?)!

First up is the Knabstrupper!

This breed is most famous for its appearance; the spotted horses you see above. This coat color (I will delve into it more with other breeds) is actually rather uncommon (these horses can be common looking like bay or black or roan instead of spotted) but has become an iconic flashy look for the breed; it is called leopard spotted. Their name comes from the Knabstrup estate where it was developed in Denmark. The first "Knabstrupper" was a mare, Flaebe, purchased from a butcher in 1812 for her unique looking coat; a deep red coat, white mane and tail, with white flecking that turned into a blanket (white patch over the rear portion of the animal's back and haunches) with spots. Over time, this unique coloration gene (which some animals will change appearance with age) developed the breed (the same spotted complex gene exists in the appaloosa). The breed is athletic, excelling in dressage, eventing, show jumping, carriage work, harnessing, and performances such as in circuses. They have an easy temperament, a hardworking mentality, and are teachable to a variety of tasks. Since the 1900s their numbers have dwindled from previous popularity and today only 2,000 animals remain worldwide. Efforts to conserve the breed include outbreeding/crossbreeding with appaloosas (to preserve the coloration gene) or other European breeds like Trakehners.

Saarlooswolfhound

Haflingers are next!

They hail from the region where Northern Italy butts into Austria, originating in a little town called Hafling. These chestnut horses are of a distinctive golden color; a type of Chestnut that can be pale or dark, paired with a flaxen mane and tail. Coming from medieval stock in the Tyrolean Alps, they were developed from a single golden colored stallion born in 1874; Folie. They later grew to fame while in use during both WWI and WWII; they were small and compact, but still very strong and required less feed to maintain themselves. While being good tempered and intelligent, they are also known for being stubborn and benefit from a structured upbringing. These guys straddle the line between a "pony" and a "horse"; a pony is generally considered shorter than 14.2 hh/hands (each hand is 4 inches), and the average haflinger is around 14.4 hands. They are overall healthy, but with poor breeding can suffer from genetic disorders that can cause ataxia, amd even death.

Saarlooswolfhound

First draft horses- Shires!

These behemoths among horses stand at 18+ hh(hands high) and weigh in at 2,400 lbs. These horses are incredibly strong; a pair of Shires dead pulled (moving a weight from a dead stop) a load of 50 tonnes. These are some of the oldest horses around too; they originated in England and were primarily used as war horses. While in medieval times they would have been smaller than their modern day cousins, these would still have a been a terrifying sight in a full cavalry phalanx charging towards you! After their war days, they were adapted to agriculture and industry types of work. Afyer WWII their numbers did decline for a number of reasons, but now they are slowly making a come back. Shires are most often black or bay, but come in chestnut, sorrel, roan, grey, and others. To my knowledge as of this writing, this is the only breed with sex specifications in stud books (in the UK stallions can't be chestnut or sorrel, but mares can). They can have white markings on their feet, face, and underbelly, but excessive markings are usually considered "undesirable". The breed is also known for its long lustrous mane, tail, and feathers (the long hair down by their hooves); but this also can be a trait difficult for upkeep as grooming must be done regularly, especially to maintain hoof health.

Saarlooswolfhound

Also, sorry! Evidently only my photo for the haflingers (previous post) actually copied and pasted... the information is there now!

Saarlooswolfhound

Next up is the Tennesse walking horse!

The American breed was started with a black stud, named Black Allan, who was a Morgan X Hambletonian Trotter cross born in 1886. He was then crossed to a variety of other breeds such as thoroughbred, standardbred, and the American saddlebred. Over time this created a very unique gaited horse; it is the only breed that "overstrides", bobbing its head rhythmically, and has several unique gaits (types of movement/walking). The most famous of which is called the the "running walk"; an extremely smooth movement that reduces any jostling of the rider, and can reach speeds of up to 20mph in some animals. This breed often has uniquely shaped hindlegs (cow-hocked, sickle-hocked, or over angulated hocks) that aid the animal in obtaining these unique gaits; these gaits are not teachable to an animal that it does not come naturally to. This breed is widely known as being a very comfortable ride; originally created for transport or trekking people around comfortably, this trait has made them useful in modern day jobs such as for the mounted police who may be in the saddle for 14 hours a day. People also popularly use them for trail riding.

I feel that I must acknowledge the proverbial "elephant in the room": this breed is sadly associated with a variety of animal rights concerns in regards to its gaited walks and various shows they may perform in. Without spelling it all out right here, I think it goes without saying that these practices are highly shameful. These animals should be enjoyed for the unique and athletic breed that they are, and not showcased via barbaric training methods to achieve a goal that is nothing more than cosmetic. But the good news is that laws and animal rights have made headway in protecting this wonderful breed.

Saarlooswolfhound

A group of 3 breeds- Quarter horse, Thoroughbred, and the American Paint

The quarter horse is famous for its ability to outrun any other breed over a quarter of a mile. Developed from crossing arabians to mustang stock to create a sturdy and muscled animal. They traditionally are used for working cattle, racing, and trail riding; they are still used for these today. This is a breed widely known for its history with ranch work, and is commonly said to have an innate "cow sense".

Thoroughbreds are descended from crossing Darley arabians, Godolphin arabians, and Byerly Turk horses to create a muscled, lean racing animal. They are well known the world over for their tremendous speed and athleticism. Horse racing is a world wide sport, but today, the US is the largest producer of these horses. They come in nearly any solid color, but gray and white are the rarest. There are a number of true athletes that the world has known in the sport of horse racing, and as an enthusiast of the honest and ethical application of it, I have enjoyed the sport for many years now. Some notable names on US soil would be; Secretariat, Seabiscuit, Man O War, War Admiral, Ruffian, Seattle Slew, Zenyatta, Native Dancer, Whirlaway, Spectacular Bid, and Black Caviar are only a FEW of these incredible animals.

Lastly, the American Paint (NOT to be confused with pinto, which will be covered later). This is a *colored* horse with a special gene to code for *white* spot patterns. This is the largest horse registry in the world; over 1 MILLION animals! The breed is focused on the pattern and not so much the look; but generally these are stock type horses. Originating from Native American backgrounds, theu were valued for their special markings and held a unique place in their culture. They can be found in nearly all disciplines- their flashy coats often draw spectators, while their intelligence and durable conformation make them an excellent choice for learning new skills.

Saarlooswolfhound

Next group is the Shetland.

This miniature breed originates from the Shetland Isles during the Bronze age and may be the UK's oldest breed. They are amongst the smallest of all horse breeds, the UK standard says that they cannot be taller than 11 hh (hands high). But don't underestimate them, these guys pound for pound are stronger than your average horse! They come in nearly any pattern and color, and have a thick woolly coat to handle the extreme habitat of their native land. They are notoriously difficult to train since they have the combined traits of being intelligent and incredibly strong willed/stubborn. Despite their size, theu have been traditionally used as work ponies (i.e. during the industrial age they hauled goods like coal), as companion animals for children, and "farm pets". Some in the modern day, have been adapted for use as service animals (i.e. they are an alternative if someone is allergic to dogs) or as therapy animals (due to their small size they are more transportable for use in hospitals and nursing homes etc.).

Saarlooswolfhound

Andalusians!

This is one of the few breeds developed in the Iberian peninsula, specifically the region of Spain they are named after; Andalusia. The breed dates back thousands of years (the Greek and Roman eras); and was one of the original all purpose animals that could be trained in royal escapades such as dressage style maneuvers, war and bullfighting, as well as all purpose farm work. There was a time where exporting one of these horses from Spain was punishable by death! These guys run a little larger at 15.2 hh average, and have a distinct look including a convex muzzle, lots of muscle, and compact proportions. These animals are used in nearly every discipline there is; they are often a favorite in movies as well (fantasy and historical based genres). Given their wide array of tractable traits, they have been used to develop a number of other breeds like Friesians, Lippizanner, American quarter horse, and the Azteca (Andalusians also contributed to the original American mustang stock that became feral). And something new that I learned; there is an ancient strain called the Carthusian line that inherited a number of preferred characters from its original stallion Esclavo, but this includes warts under their tail and calcified protuberances around the ears often referred to as "horns" (this in particular is thought to be an Asian equine trait... I have a lot of reading to do!).

Saarlooswolfhound

Ok, next up are lipizzans!

This breed is known for its distinctive white coat; but foals are born bay or black and they "grey out" (develop more and more white hairs) until they look white in color. In horses, this will be discussed more later on, a true "white" horse has pink skin. where a white coat with gray or black skin is truly a gray that has changed color over time. This white color was preferred by royals, and was then focused on for breeding. Occassionally, you can you get a bay horse that will keep its color. Another ancient breed, their ancestors hail "from the Orient", and the earliest example was noted in Carthage 2,000 years ago; other breeds used for development include spanish breeds like the Andalusian, and Middle Eastern ones like the Barb. The breed was established in 1580 by Archduke Karl II of Austria and were developed in Lipizza (hence their name). This is a long lived breed, expected to last 30-35 years (most horses will expire in their mid 20s). The breed is most well knowm as performance animals; at the Spanish riding school Vienna, they are taught the levade, pesade, capriole, and courbette maneuvers. The performances are combination of military moves, dressage, and "equestrian ballet", and are the result of years of training. Even more unique, the performing horses at this school are all unaltered stallions. In a more relaxed setting, they are becoming more popular in the finer arts of things like dressage and driving.

Saarlooswolfhound

Friesians!

These are a "light" type of draft horse (a term to describe a generally smaller or less muscled horse that is equally adapted to riding and draft work). Named after their home, Friesland in the northern Netherlands, they originated in the Middle Ages. Their classic black coat is one of their defining features; rarely they can be born chestnut or appear to be a black bay (but this look could also be from environment such as sun bleaching) but both of these are not allowed to be in the studbook. They are known for their distinctive movements- being bred for active hock and leg action to achieve a high action and animated trot. The horse nearly went extinct around 1913, but enthusiasts acted to preserve them. Because of their intelligent and curious natures, historically and in modern times, they have been used for war, agricultural work, circus performances, and a variety of disciplines (dressage, driving, even western pleasure riding!).

Saarlooswolfhound

Appaloosas!

These horses were developed my the Nez Perce Native American tribe in the US (their historical range was in Northern Idaho- my home state!). Previously called the palouse horse, the name was later adapted; this breed is famously known for their spotted and patterned coats. They can come in leopard, blanket, snowflake, and marble/varnish coloring (I highly reccomend googling these so you can see what they look like in real life!) and their skin will also show various kinds of spotting and freckling and even stripes in their hooves. Its a rather small and compact stock horse type of build- especially since they were developed from the feral wild spanish horses now known as mustangs. They have been developed to be intelligent, inquisitive, and calm; they make great mounts for first timers and children. Sadly, the breed does suffer from some maladies; they are 4 times more likely to go blind (this seems to.be correlated to the leopard complex gene but is not proven), it is also known that the breed has a sparse/thin mane and tail. Its known the Nez Perce bred for this to help the animal move through brush more easily without getting the mane and tail tangled; but this thinning may also be part of the leopard complex gene.

bmathison1972

You keep up with all these horses and I might have to start expanding my horse collection...  :P

Saarlooswolfhound

@bmathison1972, this topic barely started! There are plenty more breeds to explore. :)

NSD Bashe

Whoooa! (no pun intended)  I've counted 131 horses so far and it's only just beginning...

Saarlooswolfhound

Oh yes, this was a prime part of my childhood and early collection;domestic animals. My horse collection went dormant for many years, but it coming back to life now.

Mustangs and Brumbies!

These are largely considered "feral" horses as they either came from domestic stock many generations ago, or were recently "released" from captivity. Wild horses repopulated America (the origin if their evolution) when Spanish conquistadors tried to resettle the continent. The domestic horse settled back into its native land quickly; redeveloping traits for survival such as incredibly hard hoof walls, long thick.winter fur, and adapting to harsh climates with extreme temperatures or food shortages. Today, a mustang can present any color or pattern possible in horses; though many of them are bay or chestnut/sorrel. There is quite a lot political upheaval regarding these animals; ranging from management concerns, to the reality of if they truly are considered a wild animal or a feral release. In some populations, recently domestic animals are abandoned to the wild when owners can't feed or otherwise care for them. This in turn leads to a variety of logistical issues for the wild herds and the groups who try to help manage them.

There are a number of unique animals and populations amongst these wild groups; Kiger mustangs of Southeastern Oregon preserve some of the oldest lines of the original Spanish horses, Cloud was a famous stallion in Montana's Pryor mountain range, Picasso eas another flashy stud hailing from Wyoming's Sand Wash Basin. There are countless other examples, but the essential takeaway is that these animals are incredible survivors and powerful icons or the North American West.

The Brumby is descended from horses who came to t
Australia with the First Fleet. They are so named because of James Brumby, a soldier with the New South Wales Corp and farrier in the area at the time (1788). They too can be any color or pattern and have developed adaptations to deal with the continent's challenges. They too suffer the same political and ethical concerns of the North American mustang; some deem them pests, other see them as a representation of the Australian spirit.

bmathison1972

I am a fan of the feral breeds, at least those have been able to incorporate themselves into the surrounding biome with minimal negative impact!

Sadly, some feral horses have become a big problem in the Phoenix area I grew up in in recent years, devastating the already fragile Sonoran desert ecosystem.

Saarlooswolfhound

What you mention is a huge part of the struggle with both mustangs and brumbies; whether or not they siginificantly impact their environments and whether or not they are considered native species. In North America is where horses originally evolved, went extinct, and then were reintroduced as described above. Australia never had any wild horses until colonizers. Farmers, ranchers, and in some cases recreationalists (hunters or hikers) claim the horses damage the rangeland they inhabit (despite the fact that maybe 12-20 horses couldn't possibly impact a location the way that 500+ head of cattle grazing on rangeland could). This is an issue I have personally discussed with citizens of Northern Utah, Southern Idaho, and Southern Oregon. I know that Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Nevada have big problems with wild horses as well (to the extent of suggesting harvesting them for commercial consumption once again). Its a much more complex issue than most people acknowledge, it ranks up there in volatility with predator management IMO. But alas, the argumentation rages on as horse owners prepare to "set free" even more equine mouths to feed before winter so they themselves don't have to care for them...

Back to more pleasant topics:

Icelandic horses!

This is another ancient breed hailing from as far back as the viking era. Many people mistake them as ponies, but they are generally considered as simply small horses by the breed enthusiasts. They also come in many colors; up to 42 different coats with hundreds of variations! The breed is protected in their homeland of Iceland by the government; No horses are allowed to be imported= in order to protect the breed's purity (started in 982 AD!); and no horses that have been exported are allowed back in the country= to protect them from disease. It is thought that because of this they are so long lived (up to 40 when many horses are lucky to get past 20-25). They are treasured as another uniquely gaited horse; they have 5 natural gaits instead of 4! The walk, trot, canter, and gallop are the integral horse movements, but a tölt is their signature; described as a lateral ambling gait with a smooth 4 beat movement known to be comfortable and rather ground covering; and a skeið is a gait where two legs on the same side move forward in unison rather than than alternating. This breed pound for pound is the strongest in the world!