News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Pets!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

oh wow such nostalgia! I should buy old copies on eBay or something just to frame their artwork. it was usually the artwork like these horses and elephants, usually at the beginning of the booklet!

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 12, 2024, 09:36:50 PMoh wow such nostalgia! I should buy old copies on eBay or something just to frame their artwork. it was usually the artwork like these horses and elephants, usually at the beginning of the booklet!

I seem to remember pictures like that usually being in the middle so you could remove them and hang them up easily. I could be wrong. I know I had some Zoobook posters but they were just photographs of animals.

BlueKrono

I fell in love with this illustration as a kid.
I like turtles.

EpicRaptorMan

I remember zoobooks. Especially those old commercials.

I still have a couple posters and a lot of magazines. Probably about 40 of them.

sbell

I think I still have the full prehistoric run in it's fancy slip case. Plus a geological time poster.

Yup. Also a family activity guide!

Saarlooswolfhound

Ha, I'm glad I could spur some nostalgia for everyone! I have come across a few second hand over the years and one of them was the horse book... I might have to see if I can find em now.

Unknown breed draft horses!

The earliest reference to and thus the inferred common ancestor of modern drafters comes from 200 BCE, the "great horse of Flanders". Across europe as a whole, regional populations developed their draft breeds for individual needs (work types, feed availability, overall climate, as well as adaptability- consequently we ended up several breeds that overlapped in their utility but ultimately reflected different regional needs and preferences). Draft breeds were enormously important in the US with westward expansion and development but they fell off in popularity after WWI with the use of modern equipment (this happened after WWII for Europeans). Today, these horses are still used for all of their original purposes in agriculture and forestry etc. but are also more often seen in cosmopolitan settings such as pulling carriages for the tourism industry or in historical reenactment settings.

bmathison1972

I heard the earliest versions were called Rough Drafts...

Saarlooswolfhound

Ha, that was a good one!

The last group of horses- the unknown breed figures.

Just some general information on horses: the domestication of this animal hugely impacted humanity and our development- agriculture, transportation, and warfare. From the first cave paintings of them, it took humans 10,000 years to finally domesticate and utilize them. Because their DNA is so diverse, it is possible that they were domesticated in several regions at different times. Horses are believed to have the best memory of any domestic animal; they strongly remember positive and negative experiences. The fastest racehorse speed record known was set at 44mph by a thoroughbred named Winning Brew in 2008 over a quarter of a mile; quarter horses can get up to 55mph over the same distance. The oldest horse ever got to be 61 years old- Old Billy was foaled in 1760 in the UK, and passed 1822. He is believes to be a Cob or Shire and he worked pulling barges and working machinery.

NSD Bashe

403.  You weren't kiddin when you said you were halfway after 201...  Now that is a serious horse collection

Saarlooswolfhound

Indeed! Again, I was a horse enthusiast when I was much younger. This section in my collection has been rather stagnant for years until this last year.

I do have 2 more equid photos to share before this category is over, but its nearly complete.

Saarlooswolfhound

Donkeys!

Donkeys are pound for pound stronger than horses! The smallest ever is KneeHi- at 24.29 inches tall, and the tallest is Romulus at 68 inches. Their unique call, called braying, is created while they inhale AND exhale. Donkeys have been used as farm animals for at leasr 5,000 years and play a part in human culture; appearing in hinduism and Indian folklore, amongst others.

Saarlooswolfhound

Donkeys- Provence, Poitou, American, and mules!

The provence donkey is from Southeastern France. It was bred to be strong, sure footed, and a calm animal. They nearly went extinct- by 1993 there were only 330 left. But today there are an estimated 1500.

Poitou donkeys are another French breed named after the region they hail from. They are a rather large donkey; reaching 1,200 lbs and up to 5 ft tall. Known for their shaggy coat, it is traditionally left unkempt so that it makes dreadlocks (this helps to protect them from the elements and insects). They are considered an endangered breed today.

American mini donkeys began in 1930 in New Jersey and the association was started in 1958. They have become very popular companion animals/farm pets due to their small size, varied colorations, and the fact they are "easy keepers". This breed must be shorter than 36 inches to be considered a mini.

Mules result from the crossing of donkeys and horses. Depending on which animals are bred affects the resulting mules; a jack donkey with a mare horse creates a mule while a stallion horse and jenny donkey creates a "hinny". These two animals are actually very different in phenotype and temperament; the term mule is used for both interchangeably (though a hinny is specific to the parentage). You can cross any breed of donkey with any breed of horse- again this can radically affect the offspring! My favorite type of mule results from using a Mammoth Jack donkey. These are large, have enormous ears, and often have crazy coat colors!

And.... that's a wrap for my domestic equines!

bmathison1972

I love donkeys! Such cool animals! Donkeys and mules are both iconic animals for me, growing up in the Arizona desert :). When I started with this group, I got the older CollectA but quickly replaced it with their most recent version. I also have the Safari mule.

Saarlooswolfhound

Augh me too Blaine! Mules especially are my favorite. Glad to see that you opened your collection to them; they are very underrated.

Ok, now we move into my last "domestic" category: pets. This consists of dogs, cats, and other mammals commonly kept as pets (reptiles and amphibians etc. aren't included because they aren't really domesticated per se). There are a few fish. Anyhow, lets just get into it!

Yorkshire terriers:

Yorkies are so named after the region they came from- Yorkshire, England. They've been around since the 19th century and have classically been known as working dogs. Originally used for pest control, these dogs were bred to be small in size so they fit in the same tunnels and crawl spaces that rodents use. They are tiny, individuals of this breed have often been recognized as world's smallest, but they are fierce! They are very indepedent and mischievous in nature but they are also trainable- just another active breed that benefits from having a "job": agility, rally, being used as a therapy dog, watch dog, or even running wire through pipe as one famously did during WWII. If you don't know Smoky's story, she was a wonderful little dog: she was awarded 8 battle stars, 12 combat missions, she survived 150 air raids, survived a typhoon on Okinawa, parachuted from 30 ft in the air, amongst dozens of other feats.She was an amazing little dog.

Gwangi

Pets are a category of animals I have no interest in collecting. Maybe because I have so many pets of my own. I look forward to seeing your collection though, maybe I'll see a figure or two that makes me come around!

Saarlooswolfhound

Thanks Gwangi! Like I said above, this category for my collection excludes reptile (/birds) and amphibian options as those are more accurately captive animals and noy truly domesticated. But even so, perhaps you will find something of interest for you or at least (I hope) you may learn something new!

As a side note, I know you have reptiles and amphibians currently/recently. Do you have any birds, fish or mammals? My family has had mostly dogs in my lifetime but we have had cats, a few lizards, lots of fish, and one salamander (no birds or smaller rodents). Right now I have my 2 dogs and 2 bettas at a time. I enjoy watching the fish swim, I enjoy their personality, and its fun to see the "glow up" when they get a much better tank set up and nutrition. Since college I have had probably about 20 or so of them total.

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on September 18, 2024, 05:06:04 AMThanks Gwangi! Like I said above, this category for my collection excludes reptile (/birds) and amphibian options as those are more accurately captive animals and noy truly domesticated. But even so, perhaps you will find something of interest for you or at least (I hope) you may learn something new!

As a side note, I know you have reptiles and amphibians currently/recently. Do you have any birds, fish or mammals? My family has had mostly dogs in my lifetime but we have had cats, a few lizards, lots of fish, and one salamander (no birds or smaller rodents). Right now I have my 2 dogs and 2 bettas at a time. I enjoy watching the fish swim, I enjoy their personality, and its fun to see the "glow up" when they get a much better tank set up and nutrition. Since college I have had probably about 20 or so of them total.

I've had just about everything at some point or other. Right now it's mostly exotics but I also have a dog, 2 cats, a rabbit, and chickens. In the past I've had budgies, quail, ferrets, hamsters, rats, and even a short-tailed opossum (she was cool). Over the years I've learned that I'm not really into keeping small mammals and birds, too much work and too messy/smelly. Before reptiles I was big into fish and maintained at least a dozen aquariums. I moved to a different state 7 years ago and couldn't take the fish and aside from a betta haven't kept any since. I miss it and I'll probably start up another aquarium eventually but I'm not in a hurry since I'm currently caring for the most difficult animal of all...children!

Saarlooswolfhound

Nice! If I may, what kind of dog and cats? We did have a rabbit briefly when I was very young. I admire them a lot but I don't think I am up to keeping birds, they are so intelligent and high maintenance I admit they would be quite the job. I really love my bettas, but I'd like to get a large tank and have some goldfish someday for the same reason (very pretty fish, smart, and have personality). And yes- kids! My siblings always tell me that dogs are harder than kids but I disagree. I love all my nieces and nephews but a child is a lot of responsibility. Good luck with that one! ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on September 18, 2024, 05:30:08 PMNice! If I may, what kind of dog and cats? We did have a rabbit briefly when I was very young. I admire them a lot but I don't think I am up to keeping birds, they are so intelligent and high maintenance I admit they would be quite the job. I really love my bettas, but I'd like to get a large tank and have some goldfish someday for the same reason (very pretty fish, smart, and have personality). And yes- kids! My siblings always tell me that dogs are harder than kids but I disagree. I love all my nieces and nephews but a child is a lot of responsibility. Good luck with that one! ;)

My dog is allegedly a Bernese Mountain dog but in reality, she's a mutt. She probably has Bernese Mountain dog in her, she has the markings of one and long hair, but I suspect she also has boarder collie and/or lab. We had a chihuahua too but he passed away a few years ago. The cats are just shorthair cats, lol. One is and a orange and white tabby and the other is tortoise shell.

I love birds a lot too but they're better admired outside. I put up bird feeders and that's good enough, I don't need to bring them into my home. For that reason I also like birds that you can keep outside. I would like to get different species of gamebirds, someday. Chickens are good for now.

Dogs are NOT harder than kids, don't even get me started. My dog sleeps 20 hours a day (she's 10), it doesn't compare. Puppies are harder I imagine but I've never had a puppy, I've only ever gotten young adult dogs. I will often say that my one dog requires more care than the rest of my animals combined. That was truer when she was young and active. The reptiles and stuff, and the cats of course, are much less time consuming. And the dog is the only animal I have that has to get boarded or come along if I travel.

Saarlooswolfhound

I guessed about the cats, but that's a neat breed mix for your dog if that is the case. If she is a rescue and that was the shelter's guess- they all too often get it wrong! I also agree about the birds, easy keepers would be best for me if I ever try those out. I guess my comment was more in regard to the tropical birds that can be pets (parrots, cockatiels, etc.).

Puppies are a funny thing; as an owner I get to times when I think "oh its time for a new puppy" but then I stop myself and remember when my younger dog was a puppy... He was challenging in his own way and he really wasn't as bad as some stories I have heard! My rescue dog was about 4 when we got him and he too had his own challenges but that was because of previous abuse. I digress, I will share more on my dogs when I get to present their breeds here. ;)

But from my brief exposure of helping raise some of my nieces and nephews while their parents worked- puppies/dogs are waaaaay easier.  8)