News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Great danes!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Oh nice; I was only familiar with the Yowie. The one Gwangi is asking about is very nice, indeed! I would be hoppy to know what it is, too  8)

Saarlooswolfhound

Saarlooswolfhound

Postimage was having issues again... sorry for the delay. And you are very welcome Gwangi. :)

Hares- various species.

I chose the familiar here: the black-tailed jackrabbit! These are the 3rd largest species; after the antelope jackrabbit and the white -tailed jackrabbit. With the high position of their eyes and flattened head they can see 360 degrees around! Lastly, their leverets (offspring) sometimes only nurse for 3 days before they are able to forage for their own food!

Saarlooswolfhound

Just a heads up, we have finally reached the end of the Temperate Mammals category and I will do a double post for the last 2 groups tonight. Then on Teusday we will begin the new year with a new category!

Saarlooswolfhound

A TRIPLE post as I forgot one other group hadn't been done...

Weasels!

The least weasel has some of the strongest jaws ever recorded for a mammal ! Depending on the experiment, it often gets listed in the ranks of animals like the Tasmanian devils for power and strength!

European Bats!

The brown long-eared bat is sometimes called the "whispering" bat. I bet you can't guess why!

North American bats!

When roosting or hibernating, the Townsend's big-eared bats can curl their large earls up; they look like ram's horns!

EpicRaptorMan

I really wish there were more bats.

I have the Papo Long-eared Bat and Schleich's fruit fox but hopefully [Papo] will make a quadrupedal Vampire bat one day.

Isidro

My only bat is a Good Luck Minis one, that I repainted into a Painted bat (Niumbaha superba) from tropical Africa.
The bat in the low left corner of your last photo, with big white spots in the back, reminds me that species, but it's supposedly North American. Which species is it?

EpicRaptorMan

Quote from: Isidro on December 29, 2023, 07:17:50 AMMy only bat is a Good Luck Minis one, that I repainted into a Painted bat (Niumbaha superba) from tropical Africa.
The bat in the low left corner of your last photo, with big white spots in the back, reminds me that species, but it's supposedly North American. Which species is it?
Euderma maculatum

Saarlooswolfhound

Saarlooswolfhound

The North American and European Mammal page is now available for viewing! As are some photo updates for some other mammal groups.

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium

Saarlooswolfhound

Happy New Year!

I am excited to move into the next category so I decided to start today rather than tomorrow. However, a quick explanation before I do... For the next few categories these are definitely outside my wheelhouse of expertise, so please be patient with me. ;) I depend largely on TAW especially for this category as I know nothing about IDing these, and TAW recategorizes these A LOT. Gentle corrections are VERY welcome so I can update my references accordingly, but if there is a mistake or an ID that you don't agree with, just realize it was not my own determination. :) Ok, enough of that...

AMPHIBIANS!

Gonna start with some of my favorites!

Hellbenders have been around for 150 million years! They are also call snot otters, devil dogs, and mud cats (gotta love the Eastern nicknaming here!), and are sometimes called mudpuppies (don't call them that though! That refers to a completely different species of salamander!). Lastly, these guys have lungs but do not use them to breathe air; scientists think they are used for bouyancy in the water instead.

BlueKrono

I love those neotenic salamanders. I have a tattoo of a mudpuppy on my ribs.
I like turtles.

Saarlooswolfhound

bmathison1972

One of the salamanders in that first pic is going to be tomorrow's daily 'Museum' post  8)  ;)

Saarlooswolfhound

Nice! Hmm... I'm gonna guess... the mudpuppy?

Saarlooswolfhound

These updated group portraits are already uploaded on TCC, but haven't been shown here. :)

And with all those Toymany models, I have PLENTY of updating to do now.

Saarlooswolfhound

More salamanders!

Tiger salamanders: For one, these guys dig their own hibernation burrows; and have been found as deep as 2 feet! They are some of the largest salamanders! The biggest recorded was 13 inches.

Saarlooswolfhound

Another batch of salamanders!

Green salamanders have flattened bodies so they can climb right into crevices of rock! Thei coloration is designed to imitate lichen on rock which is found in their natural habitat. They also have square shaped toes to help them with their mountaineering!

Saarlooswolfhound

Axolotls!

These guys can not only regenerate limbs if lost, but organs too! Their genome is massive; 32 billion individual strands! They also have both lungs and external gills, but they rely on gills the most for getting oxygen.