News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: First of the cats!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

I have not posted bats yet but they're coming.

Eurasian otters!

They have territories of 1-4 miles on average (depending on food availability). They can hold their breath under water for up to 4 minutes! And they sleep so much that it is the equivalent of about half their lives!

bmathison1972

I have the most recent Papo model; I don't see it here, do you not have it?

Saarlooswolfhound

I do not, I actually prefer the most recent CollectA model personally.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on November 29, 2023, 05:06:31 PMI do not, I actually prefer the most recent CollectA model personally.

I like it, too, but I already had the Papo one and it didn't deserve a replacement.

Saarlooswolfhound

Touche! For me, I collect anything but (I tell myself) I can't collect everything... if that makes any sense. ;) If I ever come across the Papo as bycatch or see it in person I would keep it; but it's not a species that is high up on my list of intrigue and its not a sculpt I am particularly fond of (nothing bad about it!). I got the new CollectA in a trade, I think it was offered and I agreed to rehome it.

Gwangi

I have the new Schleich otter but I prefer CollectA's. Not enough to replace it though, I only just bought it!

Saarlooswolfhound

I was not expecting to get the new Schleich beaver OR otter, thinking they looked cartoony for my taste. But seeing them in person changed my mind. Still not on par of detail as others, and definitely fittimg the Schleich style, but I actually grew fond of them.

Mouflon!

Originally from Corsica and Sardinia, they have been introduced across Europe for sport hunting. They can run at 50 km/hour and jump over a meter high!

EpicRaptorMan

I have both the Schleich and CollectA otters. Both are awfully small dunno which one to keep. Additionally would be pleased if someone would make a good sea otter.

I have the CollectA Mouflon. I know it received criticism for its lowered head, but I kinda like the different pose. I also just ordered the Papo Mouflon which I was planning on repainting to a Dall Sheep. However, this photo makes it appear fairly large.

Saarlooswolfhound

The papo is larger than normal scale figures (I am hopeless at remembering scales!) and the Bullyland is a bit smaller.

EpicRaptorMan

Dang wish I knew that before purchasing lol. Oh well, I can always resell it on my eBay.

bmathison1972

I don't understand the issue with the pose on the CollectA version; a little variety is nice.

Mouflon are interesting; they are believed to be descended from feral domestic sheep and no longer represent their own species!

Saarlooswolfhound

Sorry I wasn't fast enough ERM, that's partly why I posted my group photo...

And thank you Blaine, I didn't realize that!

Iberian and Canadian Lynx!

From what I can read, the first captive born lynx was born in Sierra Morena, Spain in 2005 (her name was Saliega). Something I found interesting was that males usually have to eat one rabbit a day to survive while females who are raising kittens need 3 or more!

EpicRaptorMan

It's cool. It may prove to be acceptable yet!

And I really enjoyed the SafariLtd Canadian Lynx

Arctinus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 29, 2023, 07:22:09 PM
Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on November 29, 2023, 05:06:31 PMI do not, I actually prefer the most recent CollectA model personally.

I like it, too, but I already had the Papo one and it didn't deserve a replacement.

I have both Papo and Collecta otters and I like both, though I kind of prefer Collecta's, so you're right that yours doesn't really need a replacement. :)

I also don't see anything wrong with the pose of Collecta's mouflon. I've always liked diversity, much more than static poses.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

~Anatole France

Gwangi

The only issue with CollectA's mouflon is that the position of the head makes the figure hard to see on a crowded shelf if it's not in the front row. But that's a display issue, not really an issue with the figure. I like it.

EpicRaptorMan

The Mouflon isn't a large animal anyways so it would need to be gravitated towards the front of the shelf anyways. Even with the lowered head the distinctive horns should be enough to draw attention to itself regardless of posture.

Saarlooswolfhound

Sea Otters!

They can dive up to 330 feet in their search for food! They are also very intelligent; males have been known to pup-nap the young of a female in order to barter it back for food (but sometimes the males' aggressive nature leads to unfortunate endings in these situations).

EpicRaptorMan

bmathison1972

Saarlooswolfhound