News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: First of the cats!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

I'm also excited about Papo's! A decent mountain goat is something I've wanted in my collection since getting into this hobby. I knew about Safari's and Schleich's but not about any of the others you have featured. More than I realized, but all out of production it would seem.

Saarlooswolfhound

There's a few, but I am excited to see the PNSO and Papo for this year.

From left to right in that photo, that is the Safari standard and toob, Schleich, Topps (kid), Schleich. Then the bottom is the CollectA (domestic goat kid I am using as a stand in), the 2 CollectA, and a New Ray.

Saarlooswolfhound

North American river otters!

These guys can dive up to 60 feet! Though rarely given the opportunity in some river systems. They are very clean and wash/groom themselves after every meal. They usually live in family groups that are similar to wolf packs (an adult mating pair with their offspring who may stay with the group or eventually disperse to start their own families).

bmathison1972

I have struggled with this species (as a toy). I have the Safari NAW version but it will be promptly replaced with the Everglades TOOB otter, since I bet it will scale better with Kaiyodo Japanese and Asian small-clawed otters and Papo Eurasian otter!

Saarlooswolfhound

For a second there I envisioned you wrestling with an otter... Ha!

Ok, I waited to do my moose since I got the new set recently... here they are! 

Moose have been recorded as diving as far as 20 feet into deep water looking for food; moose remains have also been recorded in the stomachs of orcas! Moose themselves require something near 10,000 calories a day which is difficult to get from plant material... a moose will munch on twigs all day long!

Shane

One of the most impressive animals I have ever seen in the wild.

Saarlooswolfhound

They definitely "dominate the space" don't they? I have been privileged to see moose quite often in the wild and in captivity. They are truly magnificent animals.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Shane on November 22, 2023, 06:47:07 PMOne of the most impressive animals I have ever seen in the wild.

I have yet to see one in the wild, but I bet there is one within a couple miles of where I am sitting.

Scene from my favorite comedy, Murder By Death (a whodunit spoof):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9hTr5jwB4

Saarlooswolfhound

Ha! That moose is a bit creepy but good for a laugh.  ::)

I took yesterday off for a holiday, but we are back at it!

Cougars!

These guys can live in nearly any habitat type North America has to offer. They have been difficult to study due to their cryptic nature; we are now beginning to understand that they are actually much more social than previously thought. They have even been recorded as "priding up"; some females may band together with their cubs. Though we have very little understanding as to why this occurs.

Gwangi

Very excited about the new Safari cougar! My favorite species of "big" cat.

EpicRaptorMan

Just like how bmathison feels about otters (as do I) I also struggle with cougars. I have the SafariLtd one (top shelf, far left) but it is a bit big and the pupils are horrendous. Cat looks like it has two lazy eyes.

Interested in the new SafariLtd cougar too.

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you everyone. Personally, I think the original Schleich cougar overall is the best for proportions and overall "mood" for this species (its old and outdated in style and detail, I know) and the Safari pictured here for a big muscular northern type male. I think part of the issue is this species has adapted to a huge range of habitats and different populations look different... i.e. to me, the newest Schleich looks like a south american puma, while the Safari shown here is a big heavy winter coated male. The old Papo looks more lanky like a Florida panther, while the new Papo could pass for a few ecotypes (i.e. a juvenile northern male or a female). Anyway, I think that's part of why this species hasn't pleased many collectors.

Anyhow, here is a *bonus* for a group I *forgot* to post with its compatriots...

More lemurs!

For the coquerel'a sifaka this species holds a dear part of my heart... a childhood tv show called Zoboomafoo had one of these as their main character alongside 2 guys who would teach you all sorts of things about animals. His name was Jovian and he has since passed but he has children and grandchildren still living in captivity today. :)

Ok, down to real facts! I think my favorite two are that they can leap 40 feet between trees!!! (I mean holy cannoli!) And at night the troop might line up on a branch and hug or "spoon" each other to help keep warm at night.

Then I also just got the WAI ringtailed so here is an updated portrait for them.

NSD Bashe

I remember that show; I also saw an older show with those two guys (the Kratt brothers) before they did zoboomafoo called Kratt's Creatures.  Zoboo really added personality to the formula though.  And I also have that tiny Safari Toob sifaka somewhere

Gwangi

Quote from: NSD Bashe on November 25, 2023, 08:21:53 AMI remember that show; I also saw an older show with those two guys (the Kratt brothers) before they did zoboomafoo called Kratt's Creatures.  Zoboo really added personality to the formula though.  And I also have that tiny Safari Toob sifaka somewhere

I remember Kratt's Creatures, I used to watch it as a kid. Seems like the Kratt brothers have had a show for every generation over the last 30 years. Now they have Wild Kratts and my daughter watches that one along with Zoboomafoo.

EpicRaptorMan

Been hoping for a coquerel'a sifaka for a long time

Saarlooswolfhound

The Kratt brothers have been on tv for forever! I guess they finally got old enough they had to animate themselves now. ;) I have seen a few episodes of the cartoon and it is pretty entertaining!

Bighorns and Dall Sheep!

Apparently Dall sheep are the northern-most dwelling sheep species!

Saarlooswolfhound

Next are my Eurasian lynxes!

This is one of the widest ranging cats in the world; living in Europe and arts of Asia! They are the national mammal of Romania and Macedonia. They think the name "lynx" comes from the Greek character Lynceus who could see through the earth with his super keen eyesight.

Isidro

EpicRaptorMan

Quote from: Isidro on November 28, 2023, 06:35:14 AMThe eyes of the lower left corner one!!!  :P
Looks like my SafariLtd cougar's eyes.

EpicRaptorMan