News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Yowie - New for 2023

Started by Halichoeres, February 01, 2023, 02:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

From a Yowie email newsletter:

"Something special is hatching soon...
It's the moment you've been waiting for... a BRAND NEW SERIES will be hitting shelves early this year, and we couldn't be more excited!

Strap yourself in for our most loveable series yet - one we know both the kids AND the kids at heart won't be able to resist.

Stay tuned with your little ones to be among the first to discover our big surprise... coming soon!"

I'm not sure what 'most loveable' means, but it's great to see a new series is in the works. I was worried that maybe the pandemic had hurt their sales by reducing impulse buys. I'll update when I know more.

Update 6th March: Baby Animals series

Antennarius commerson, Commerson's frogfish

Sus cebifrons, Visayan warty pig

Giraffa camelopardalis, giraffe chase figure at a ludicrous 1 in 500 eggs

Neophocaena phocaenoides, finless porpoise

Ursus thibetanus, Asian black bear

Pagophilus groenlandicus, harp seal

Lynx pardinus, Iberian lynx

Atelerix algirus, North African hedgehog

Trachypithecus cristatus, silvery lutung

Dugong dugon, dugong

Petaurus australis, yellow-bellied glider

Tachyglossus aculeatus, short-beaked echidna

Crocodylus rhombifer, Cuban crocodile

Casuarius casuarius, southern cassowary

Caretta caretta, loggerhead sea turtle
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

NSD Bashe

Makes me think either birds, turtles or dinosaurs but who knows

bmathison1972

Hmm...'loveable' sounds like pets, baby animals, 'cute' animals, or maybe animal pairs; however, they did pets for the Gummies collection.

All Yowies come in 'eggs', so 'hatching' doesn't necessarily imply an animal that hatches from an egg :)

Gwangi

Exciting news! I've been waiting to see what's next from Yowie. My daughter likes getting them but she's disappointed by repeats, they've had the same series going for a couple of years now, it can't be good for sales. The emphasis on cute has me slightly worried though.

NSD Bashe

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 01, 2023, 12:52:14 PMHmm...'loveable' sounds like pets, baby animals, 'cute' animals, or maybe animal pairs; however, they did pets for the Gummies collection.

All Yowies come in 'eggs', so 'hatching' doesn't necessarily imply an animal that hatches from an egg :)

oh yeah I should've thought of that   ::)

well then maybe it is just general animal babies

endogenylove

I'm thinking it has to be "cutesy" animals - either pets, animal babies, or cartoonish animals. None of these options thrill me but we shall see what they have in store for us.
Always looking for new species...

Halichoeres

Yeah, I'm afraid that 'lovable' might imply something saccharine like baby animals or dog breeds or cute-ified versions of cuddly mammals. I hope I'm wrong! Naturally, I'm specifically hoping for a prehistoric series, but I doubt that's in the cards.
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

bmathison1972

Here is the link for the new series, or at least some of it. Yup, baby animals. Some nice species, but all babies/immatures.

I can't study it in detail as the site is blocked at my work. I'll look more into it this weekend and add individual pics if possible.

https://yowieworld.com/baby-animals/

NSD Bashe

You know despite being woops all babies they do have an interesting array and they actually look pretty decent and not overly "cutesified".

NSD Bashe

So for any folk who can't see the site the species listed are:

Visayan Warty Pig (Sus cebifrons),
Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis),
North African Hedgehog (Atelerix algirus),
Iberian Lynx (Lynx pardinus),
Yellow Bellied Glider (Petaurus australis),
Southern Cassowary (Casuarius casuarius),
Asian Black Bear (Ursus thibetanus),
Giant Frogfish (Antennarius commerson),
Dugong (Dugong dugon),
Finless Porpoise (Neophocaena phocaenoides),
Loggerhead Sea Turtle (Caretta caretta),
Harp Seal (Pagophilus groenlandicus),
Cuban Crocodile (Crocodylus rhombifer),
Short-Beaked Echidna (Tachyglossus aculeatus),
Silvery Lutung (Trachypithecus cristatus)

Oh and the giraffe is listed as "1 in 500 chance to find"
(which is ironic with it possibly being the only "common" animal toy species there)

Gwangi

It could definitely be worse. There are quite a few of these I wouldn't mind having, including the finless porpoise, Cuban crocodile, giant frogfish, and southern cassowary. Still, I can't help but feel a little let down, having waited YEARS for their next assortment. 

bmathison1972

They are neat, but I'll be passing on all of them, even those that are species I don't have

Too bad they didn't have a butterfly caterpillar  ^-^

BTW, search images of the Silvery Lutung! They really have bright orange babies in contrast to the gray adults  :o  :o  :o

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 03, 2023, 08:09:58 PMThey are neat, but I'll be passing on all of them, even those that are species I don't have

Too bad they didn't have a butterfly caterpillar  ^-^

BTW, search images of the Silvery Lutung! They really have bright orange babies in contrast to the gray adults  :o  :o  :o

I'm just happy that they chose young animals that look distinct from their parents. On that note, I'm surprised they didn't do a tapir. I was afraid it was going to all be cute baby bunnies and kittens and such. So for what it is, I'm content.

NSD Bashe

I may have a mind to pick up that giant baby frogfish if I happen across it at some point

BlueKrono

I'm in for the frogfish fry and the cassowary.
I like turtles.

Isidro

Quote from: Gwangi on March 03, 2023, 09:16:42 PMI'm just happy that they chose young animals that look distinct from their parents.

The hedgehog, glider and porpoise could easily pass as an adult animal figure, for those that mind having figures of adult animals in their collections.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on March 04, 2023, 07:20:49 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on March 03, 2023, 09:16:42 PMI'm just happy that they chose young animals that look distinct from their parents.

The hedgehog, glider and porpoise could easily pass as an adult animal figure, for those that mind having figures of adult animals in their collections.

I half-considered the glider for that very reason

endogenylove

I will be going for the hedgehog, glider, giant frogfish, cuban crocodile, and possibly the lutung and visayan warty pig. I would definitely prefer adult versions of those two especially, but I will take what is available in the meantime and I don't want to miss out on some potentially forever unique species!
Always looking for new species...

bmathison1972

Quote from: endogenylove on March 04, 2023, 06:40:23 PMI will be going for the hedgehog, glider, giant frogfish, cuban crocodile, and possibly the lutung and visayan warty pig. I would definitely prefer adult versions of those two especially, but I will take what is available in the meantime and I don't want to miss out on some potentially forever unique species!

that's a good philosophy, and I almost considered it myself. But with so many other releases for me in 2023 (already!) I can pass on babies, even if unique. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind. I do know that I will not go and blindly buy Yowies; I'll wait for eBay releases

Halichoeres

I guess that shouldn't be surprising considering we're coming up on Easter. I also won't be buying any of these as eggs, but there's a couple that I might be willing to trade for. I'll get the OP updated.