News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2022

Started by bmathison1972, November 09, 2021, 08:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

@bmathison1972 is the shrimp really Penaeus monodon?

bmathison1972

Quote from: JimoAi on November 21, 2021, 08:31:10 AM

I don't know - it's the best thing I cam come up with. Knowing Papo, one must assume it's a common commercial species. Open to other ideas.

Arctinus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 21, 2021, 12:12:11 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on November 21, 2021, 08:31:10 AM

I don't know - it's the best thing I cam come up with. Knowing Papo, one must assume it's a common commercial species. Open to other ideas.

And knowing Papo, it'll probably just say "shrimp" in their catalogue.  :P
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

~Anatole France

bmathison1972

I based the ID on: 1) the assumption it's a common commercial species, 2) color, and 3) shape of the rostrum.

stargatedalek

The shrimp looks eerily similar to the example tiger prawn from the Wikipedia page for prawns in general:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrobranchiata

But very different from any examples I can find of the species otherwise. Though the colours do seem to vary a lot, most have smaller eyes and none have colours that match exactly.

Lanthanotus

Late on this thread and I am sure a lot of you already commented on this, but those birds are stunning for their presumable size. So cool we get more "common" European species. So happy about that.

bmathison1972

I updated the first post with pics of the giant squid and Kronosaurus, which were finally released

Gwangi

I was excited to see their giant squid but this one is kind of lackluster.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on October 04, 2022, 01:28:29 PMI was excited to see their giant squid but this one is kind of lackluster.

I doubt I'd consider replacing my Safari WS version unless it was comparable in size, which I doubt it will be.

Gwangi

I almost got that new Papo wolf to review this October but then I saw actual pictures of it and...well...changed my mind.

bmathison1972

wow that's quite different. I've had really good luck with my Papo models coming in looking as good as promo pics

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 04, 2022, 06:55:35 PMwow that's quite different. I've had really good luck with my Papo models coming in looking as good as promo pics

Likewise. I still got a Papo wolf but I went with the 2010 female. I like it more than this 2022 one but based solely on promo pics I was convinced that I liked the 2022 one more.

JimoAi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 04, 2022, 04:42:17 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on October 04, 2022, 01:28:29 PMI was excited to see their giant squid but this one is kind of lackluster.

I doubt I'd consider replacing my Safari WS version unless it was comparable in size, which I doubt it will be.

There seems to be a major inaccuracie on the fact that the 2 long feeding tentacles have suckers. The size is about 23 by 5 by 18cm

bmathison1972

Quote from: JimoAi on October 13, 2022, 07:51:12 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 04, 2022, 04:42:17 PM

There seems to be a major inaccuracie on the fact that the 2 long feeding tentacles have suckers. The size is about 23 by 5 by 18cm

Ah yes, you mean on the tentacles themselves, not just the terminal part. Good observation! That makes it easy to reject (although there was a less than 20% chance I'd replace my Safari one anyway...)

sphyrna18

Has anyone seen the Leopard Shark or gotten it?  It doesn't seem to have arrived in the US yet...

bmathison1972

Quote from: sphyrna18 on February 02, 2023, 10:41:42 PMHas anyone seen the Leopard Shark or gotten it?  It doesn't seem to have arrived in the US yet...

@sphyrna18 - @JimoAi has it and said he'd be presenting it as a Blog review soon!

JimoAi

Quote from: sphyrna18 on February 02, 2023, 10:41:42 PMHas anyone seen the Leopard Shark or gotten it?  It doesn't seem to have arrived in the US yet...
I've gotten it! Would you like a pic?

sphyrna18

Quote from: JimoAi on February 03, 2023, 01:37:01 AM
I've gotten it! Would you like a pic?
Sure!  Thanks!

JimoAi

sphyrna18

Quote from: JimoAi on February 03, 2023, 03:17:51 PMhttps://postimg.cc/gallery/hmM2WtH

@sphyrna18. Here's some pics! Note none will be used in the review

Thank you so much! Those are some really great pics, and that is a really great looking leopard shark.  I can't wait until it becomes available in the US.  I'll hopefully be able to grab a bunch of them, so I can create a convincing school with the Wild Safari Leopard Shark and maybe even customize a few into similar species.  Thanks again for those pictures!