News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2022

Started by bmathison1972, November 09, 2021, 08:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

snail maybe Cepaea nemoralis?

Arctinus

Wait, I've just compared the current Papo wolf and the new one and the new one doesn't seem to be just a repaint. Then I'll definitely also get it and the pup. :D
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

~Anatole France

Arctinus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 16, 2021, 05:52:02 PM
snail maybe Cepaea nemoralis?

Looks like it. I've seen quite a few where I live.

~Anatole France

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Arctinus on November 16, 2021, 05:09:46 PM
Ooh, thanks, @bmathison1972 !

The ones I'll definitely get are:

spoonbill
hummingbird
African sea eagle
magpie
(great?) tit
clouded yellow butterfly
shrimp
hermit crab
leopard shark
common dolphin

The ones I might get are:

beaver (does it seem right to you because it seems a bit off to me, but I'm not sure)
African buffalo (but might consider other brands)
stag beetle (I don't know, I have the Collecta one, so I'll see)
forest snail (I have the Bullyland snail, so I might get this one, since it seems to be the same mould as Papo's previous one, but recoloured)
wild piglet
mosasaurus (but I don't know how accurate it is?)

Others are either reissues, which I already have, or part of farm animals or prehistoric, which I'm not interested in. :)

Also, the tit looks like the great tit to me as well, but I wish it were more bluish. :/

Mosa is very inaccurate but i really like it

GojiraGuy1954

I'll probably get the Beaver, Buffalo, Spoonbill, Sea Eagle, Magpie, Shrimp, Hermit Crab, Leopard Shark, Common Dolphin, Leatherback Sea Turtle and Mosasaurus.
Excited to see the Krono

stargatedalek

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 16, 2021, 06:18:47 PMMosa is very inaccurate but i really like it
The mosasaur seems to be extremely accurate. Unless it's missing the second row of teeth in the upper jaw or they did something else weird inside the mouth, this is possibly the most accurate mosasaur figure yet, perhaps tied with the Wild Safari Tylosaurus.

Papo is absolutely hitting it out of the park with birds lately. I'm gonna need a frankly inordinate amount of these magpies.

Arctinus

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 16, 2021, 06:35:29 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 16, 2021, 06:18:47 PMMosa is very inaccurate but i really like it
The mosasaur seems to be extremely accurate. Unless it's missing the second row of teeth in the upper jaw or they did something else weird inside the mouth, this is possibly the most accurate mosasaur figure yet, perhaps tied with the Wild Safari Tylosaurus.

Papo is absolutely hitting it out of the park with birds lately. I'm gonna need a frankly inordinate amount of these magpies.

Is it even more accurate than the PNSO one?

And I'm hoping they make a whole line of European birds. Well, birds in general will work just as fine.  ;D

~Anatole France

stargatedalek

Quote from: Arctinus on November 16, 2021, 06:47:32 PM

Is it even more accurate than the PNSO one?

And I'm hoping they make a whole line of European birds. Well, birds in general will work just as fine.  ;D
Which PNSO one? It's very similar to their old mosasaur, with the colours and dorsal fin, but the skull is less shrinkwrapped (same for the CollectA).

The new PNSO Tylosaurus has a strangely curved tail fin and the back of the skull is also rather shrinkwrapped. Hopefully the Papo one has a smooth back of the skull, monitor lizards don't have those skull openings highlighted and most of them aren't aquatic.

bmathison1972

@stargatedalek - with a little tweaking you can turn a couple magpies into the North American black-billed and yellow billed :-D

stargatedalek

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 16, 2021, 07:01:24 PM
@stargatedalek - with a little tweaking you can turn a couple magpies into the North American black-billed and yellow billed :-D
This may or may not have been the plan, though, that means I might want a few poses of each for scenes!

Arctinus

QuoteWhich PNSO one? It's very similar to their old mosasaur, with the colours and dorsal fin, but the skull is less shrinkwrapped (same for the CollectA).

The new PNSO Tylosaurus has a strangely curved tail fin and the back of the skull is also rather shrinkwrapped. Hopefully the Papo one has a smooth back of the skull, monitor lizards don't have those skull openings highlighted and most of them aren't aquatic.

This is the one I had in mind: http://dinotoyblog.com/2019/02/21/mosasaurus-pnso-scientific-art-model/

~Anatole France

stargatedalek

Quote from: Arctinus on November 16, 2021, 07:08:51 PM
QuoteWhich PNSO one? It's very similar to their old mosasaur, with the colours and dorsal fin, but the skull is less shrinkwrapped (same for the CollectA).

This is the one I had in mind: http://dinotoyblog.com/2019/02/21/mosasaurus-pnso-scientific-art-model/
That is the first one I meant, though I admit it is not as I'd remembered, clearly I was confusing it with their Basilosaurus and it's very shrunken skull (also visible in that review). Though the head is a bit small for the body as it's based on old proportions, that is more in "far less likely but technically plausible" territory as opposed to inaccuracy.

bmathison1972

The hummer is challenging. I plan on hitting 'All the Birds of the World' tonight or this week.

Two tentative ideas: 1) blue-chested hummingbird (Polyerata amabilis) and 2) sapphire-throated hummingbird (Chrysuronia coeruleogularis), favoring the former over the latter.

Arctinus

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 16, 2021, 07:19:41 PM
Quote from: Arctinus on November 16, 2021, 07:08:51 PM

That is the first one I meant, though I admit it is not as I'd remembered, clearly I was confusing it with their Basilosaurus and it's very shrunken skull (also visible in that review). Though the head is a bit small for the body as it's based on old proportions, that is more in "far less likely but technically plausible" territory as opposed to inaccuracy.

Thanks! Yeah, I just went through the review (I already read it once, but forgot much :D ). :) I'll have to wait and see for the Papo one to be released and reviewed. It'll certainly be the more affordable and accessible one.

~Anatole France

GojiraGuy1954

The body shape and dorsal / tail fins aren't accurate. No evidence for a dorsal and the tail fin is too thin

Also isnt all that streamlined like real mosa
Head seems too small and short

Arctinus

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 16, 2021, 08:06:34 PM

The body shape and dorsal / tail fins aren't accurate. No evidence for a dorsal and the tail fin is too thin

Yeah, I've also noticed the dorsal fin. :| And all these things seem to also be kind of an issue with the PNSO one. Oh well. It's not like I expected Papo to make an accurate mosasaurus, but I still might get it because it looks great (if you ignore the accuracy). :D

~Anatole France

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Arctinus on November 16, 2021, 08:31:23 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 16, 2021, 08:06:34 PM

Yeah, I've also noticed the dorsal fin. :| And all these things seem to also be kind of an issue with the PNSO one. Oh well. It's not like I expected Papo to make an accurate mosasaurus, but I still might get it because it looks great (if you ignore the accuracy). :D
Im definitely getting the Mosa

bmathison1972

possible IDs for the crustaceans:

1. shrimp: this might just be the common commercial species Panaeus monodon (same species made by AAA)
2. hermit crabs: this is more challenging, but Clibanarius erythropus and Dardanus arrosor are two Mediterranean species that might work for this figure

EpicRaptorMan

After seeing the images...spoonbill, hummingbird, Sea Eagle, and even the wolf (I'll maybe pretend it's a Red Wolf) are all of interest.

But WTF is up with that beaver? 😂

EpicRaptorMan

Also the Common Dolphin is interesting. I already have one from Mojo (2018) but Papo's is much darker colored.