News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

My Cetacean collection

Started by callmejoe3, August 25, 2020, 04:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

callmejoe3

Here's a gift I was able to open early for Christmas eve! I'm probably never going to get the 63cm Kaiyodo Aqualand Sperm whale. So as a nice alternative, I've received the 49cm MDS ''Call Me Nautical'' sperm whale model to fit in as a physically mature bull for my 1:40 scale collection. It's more of a nautical decoration of a sperm whale caricature rather than an anatomically accurate model, but with a good paint job, it definitely suits itself well. Got it done in about 2 hours.

Here's some size comparisons:

The MBA female sperm whale (37 ft). Here we can really appreciate how the sperm whale is by far the most sexually dimorphic cetacean.

Here we can compare it to the largest MBA figure, the Humpback whale (47ft). This infamous figure, well known for its own ludicrous size serves well as a benchmark for size comparisons

This is how the sperm whale compares to its distant cousin, my recently acquired Rheic Livyatan (63ft).

This is how the figure compares to my Kaiyodo Mega Sofubi Advanced Blue Whale (102ft).

And this is how the figure compares to the Safari TOOB human diver (7.22ft).

It mostly works out pretty well, the only notable issue is the blowhole. It has to divets in the middle of the top of the head, when it should really be 1 nostril off to the left.

bmathison1972

Cool, Joe! Nice to get one at such a size!

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 25, 2020, 02:48:53 AM
Here's a gift I was able to open early for Christmas eve! I'm probably never going to get the 63cm Kaiyodo Aqualand Sperm whale. So as a nice alternative, I've received the 49cm MDS ''Call Me Nautical'' sperm whale model to fit in as a physically mature bull for my 1:40 scale collection. It's more of a nautical decoration of a sperm whale caricature rather than an anatomically accurate model, but with a good paint job, it definitely suits itself well. Got it done in about 2 hours.

Here's some size comparisons:

The MBA female sperm whale (37 ft). Here we can really appreciate how the sperm whale is by far the most sexually dimorphic cetacean.

Here we can compare it to the largest MBA figure, the Humpback whale (47ft). This infamous figure, well known for its own ludicrous size serves well as a benchmark for size comparisons

This is how the sperm whale compares to its distant cousin, my recently acquired Rheic Livyatan (63ft).

This is how the figure compares to my Kaiyodo Mega Sofubi Advanced Blue Whale (102ft).

And this is how the figure compares to the Safari TOOB human diver (7.22ft).

It mostly works out pretty well, the only notable issue is the blowhole. It has to divets in the middle of the top of the head, when it should really be 1 nostril off to the left.
What brand of paint do you use? I always use Martha Stewart

callmejoe3

@JimoAi

The brand I used for most of my re-paints is Craftsmart and Handy art for the black I use. I personally never paid attention to the brand, I just use whatever acrylic paint I run into.

callmejoe3

Here's my next gift, the PNSO Basilosaurus!

Similar to the CollectA Basilosaurus at the 1:70 scale, this model scales to 81 feet at the 1:40 scale.

bmathison1972

lovely; a bit large for me and the stand would obtrusive for me in this case (hence I went with CollectA). But, a lovely figure nonetheless!

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on December 25, 2020, 02:43:10 PM
Here's my next gift, the PNSO Basilosaurus!

Does the collectA one look a bit skinny?

K907

WOW *jawdrops! Your collection is awesome!!! I'm still debating to get the Sofubi Blue Whale but eh I think I will pass.

Are you gonna get the Colorata whale sets? I have the DX set and the marine mammal set. Beautiful figures!

Loon

Prehistoric whales are so poorly represented as toys, so I'm really happy PNSO made a Basilosaurus. I have one and I love it, I definitely prefer it to the CollectA one in a lot of ways.

JimoAi

IMG_20210105_151358.jpg  IMG_20210105_151358.jpg   I found this collectA inspired humpback whale off Taobao. I want to know how does it hold up in accuracy and is it a cheap alternative to the monterey bay aquarium humpback?

callmejoe3

Quote from: K907 on January 05, 2021, 06:08:26 AM
WOW *jawdrops! Your collection is awesome!!! I'm still debating to get the Sofubi Blue Whale but eh I think I will pass.

Are you gonna get the Colorata whale sets? I have the DX set and the marine mammal set. Beautiful figures!

Those figures look nice but ATM, the set doesn't have enough to justifying getting it since it mostly contains species I either already own or are at a scale I don't collect at.

K907

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 05, 2021, 07:25:01 AM
Quote from: K907 on January 05, 2021, 06:08:26 AM

Those figures look nice but ATM, the set doesn't have enough to justifying getting it since it mostly contains species I either already own or are at a scale I don't collect at.

Ah I understand.

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 05, 2021, 07:16:06 AM
IMG_20210105_151358.jpg  IMG_20210105_151358.jpg   I found this collectA inspired humpback whale off Taobao. I want to know how does it hold up in accuracy and is it a cheap alternative to the monterey bay aquarium humpback?

At that scale, I'd personally just go with the 2012 Mojo figure if you're collecting one at that size. It's the only Non-japanese humpback whale figure I've seen with a sculpt that I would argue is just as accurate as the Monterey Bay Aquarium figure.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 05, 2021, 07:30:23 AM

At that scale, I'd personally just go with the 2012 Mojo figure if you're collecting one at that size. It's the only Non-japanese humpback whale figure I've seen with a sculpt that I would argue is just as accurate as the Monterey Bay Aquarium figure.
[/quote  im planning to get a 1/35 to 1/40 scale baleen whale with the exception of the high kaiyodo blue whale

JimoAi

Quote from: JimoAi on January 05, 2021, 07:31:50 AM
Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 05, 2021, 07:30:23 AM

[/quote  im planning to get a 1/35 to 1/40 scale baleen whale with the exception of the high kaiyodo blue whale
Screenshot_20210105_153218.jpg
There's also a right whale

callmejoe3

@JimoAi

Wait, I wasn't paying attention to the advertised length. I thought it was just a bootleg sculpt of the CollectA figure, but at the same size. Even if it's at the advertised length, I'd just save up for the MBA figure. The CollectA sculpt wasn't very accurate to begin with and I would say the MBA figure is still WAY more accurate and is worth saving up for if you want a figure of such size.

callmejoe3

If it's actually 41cm, the Right whale might be worth getting. There's really no competition figure at that size and the sculpt seems decent enough.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 05, 2021, 07:33:37 AM
@JimoAi

Wait, I wasn't paying attention to the advertised length. I thought it was just a bootleg sculpt of the CollectA figure, but at the same size. Even if it's at the advertised length, I'd just save up for the MBA figure. The CollectA sculpt wasn't very accurate to begin with and I would say the MBA figure is still WAY more accurate and is worth saving up for if you want a figure of such size.
I may go with the right whale I have shown. Probs getting it for my birthday which is pretty soon like a months time

callmejoe3

Quote from: Loon on January 05, 2021, 06:22:44 AM
Prehistoric whales are so poorly represented as toys, so I'm really happy PNSO made a Basilosaurus. I have one and I love it, I definitely prefer it to the CollectA one in a lot of ways.

Yeah, there's a lot of archaeocetes and Miocene whales that I would like to see in toy form.