News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

My Cetacean collection

Started by callmejoe3, August 25, 2020, 04:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 05, 2021, 07:35:40 AM
If it's actually 41cm, the Right whale might be worth getting. There's really no competition figure at that size and the sculpt seems decent enough.
Which species does it better represent though?

JimoAi

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 05, 2021, 07:45:52 AM
Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 05, 2021, 07:35:40 AM
If it's actually 41cm, the Right whale might be worth getting. There's really no competition figure at that size and the sculpt seems decent enough.
Which species does it better represent though?

The three extant species of Right whale cannot be reasonably distinguished morphologically. Their differences are mainly genetic and distribution. It can be any species.

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 05, 2021, 10:50:24 AM
IMG_20210105_184953.jpg
How's this humpback?

Looks good, but it has the caveat of being a soft-rubber figure. If you don't mind that, it seems nice.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 05, 2021, 11:41:10 AM
IMG_20210105_184953.jpg
How's this humpback?

Looks good, but it has the caveat of being a soft-rubber figure. If you don't mind that, it seems nice.
Is it ok if I use it as a male humpback whale and how big do they grow?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 05, 2021, 11:46:28 AM
Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 05, 2021, 11:41:10 AM
IMG_20210105_184953.jpg
How's this humpback?

Is it ok if I use it as a male humpback whale and how big do they grow?

It can work as a male, males grow to about 11-15 meters on average, with the females being a meter longer on average.

JimoAi

All the monterey bay Aquarium cetaceans are females right?

JimoAi

Any large whale figures work with 1/35 scale?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 05, 2021, 03:54:20 PM
All the monterey bay Aquarium cetaceans are females right?

All the adults are female except the Narwhal and the Pacific White-sided dolphin. The calves, I believe are either male or sex-neutral.

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 05, 2021, 04:03:10 PM
Any large whale figures work with 1/35 scale?
It depends on the size of the species in real life and whether or not the figure has the correct proportions. But generally, most of the largest whale figures work at the 1:35 scale.

JimoAi

Eying the monterey bay aquarium humpback and using it for 1/35 scale to fit with some of my 1/35 scale dinosaurs

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 06, 2021, 06:12:25 AM
Eying the monterey bay aquarium humpback and using it for 1/35 scale to fit with some of my 1/35 scale dinosaurs

That'll work. The intended scale for that figure was 1/40, but it'll of course work fine at the 1:35 scale as well.

JimoAi

Could I see a comparison between the Papo blue whale and the MBA Humpback adult? Thanks!

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 06, 2021, 10:43:35 AM
Could I see a comparison between the Papo blue whale and the MBA Humpback adult? Thanks!

There should be one on the review I did for the Papo Blue whale on the ATB.

JimoAi

How big do female humpbacks need to be to reach sexual maturity?

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 10, 2021, 06:22:21 PM
How big do female humpbacks need to be to reach sexual maturity?

Females usually begin sexual maturity at around 12 meters. They usually grow another 2 meters before achieving physical maturity.

JimoAi

Have you tried getting this Orca just for the calf. And what ecotype do you think it is and how good the sculpt is when ignoring the cheesy articulation? 

IMG_20210113_131411.jpg

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 13, 2021, 05:15:04 AM
Have you tried getting this Orca just for the calf. And what ecotype do you think it is and how good the sculpt is when ignoring the cheesy articulation? 

IMG_20210113_131411.jpg

I haven't tried getting this orca because it generally doesn't appear to fulfill any desire that hasn't already been met by the ones I own. I'm pretty content where I am with killer whales right no and I generally have a high standard to justify getting another.

No comment on the ecotype. Like I said before, 99% of these toys don't really do a good job looking like one ecotype versus another, so expecting any toy orca to look like a particular ecotype is not a good mindset. Besides Type B,C, and D, the killer whale ecotypes generally don't look obviously different from each other besides nuances to their relative sizes, saddle patches or male dorsal fins. Their ecological roles and social structures are what truly distinguishes them, less so their physical appearance.

Sculpt seems fine. Better than a lot, and does a good job keeping the head the right size.

JimoAi

Quote from: callmejoe3 on January 13, 2021, 08:51:48 AM
Quote from: JimoAi on January 13, 2021, 05:15:04 AM

IMG_20210113_131411.jpg

I haven't tried getting this orca because it generally doesn't appear to fulfill any desire that hasn't already been met by the ones I own. I'm pretty content where I am with killer whales right no and I generally have a high standard to justify getting another.

No comment on the ecotype. Like I said before, 99% of these toys don't really do a good job looking like one ecotype versus another, so expecting any toy orca to look like a particular ecotype is not a good mindset. Besides Type B,C, and D, the killer whale ecotypes generally don't look obviously different from each other besides nuances to their relative sizes, saddle patches or male dorsal fins. Their ecological roles and social structures are what truly distinguishes them, less so their physical appearance.

Sculpt seems fine. Better than a lot, and does a good job keeping the head the right size.
How big is the head to body ratio? PS: I'm always asking you on cetacean info for the last month or so, so I'll return you the favor when it comes to fish and cephalopods

callmejoe3

Quote from: JimoAi on January 13, 2021, 09:39:12 AM

How big is the head to body ratio? PS: I'm always asking you on cetacean info for the last month or so, so I'll return you the favor when it comes to fish and cephalopods

That information isn't usually documented, but given how the average skull length is about 87cm, the ratio seems to be about 1:8. Though that may vary depending on sexual dimorphism or the age of the animal.