News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Loon's Collection of Not Dead Animals

Started by Loon, August 25, 2020, 02:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Hi all, well, looks like I might start actually using this account.

As some of you know, I mostly collect prehistoric/extinct animals, but, I do love modern animals quite a bit and have casually collected them in past. And, now, after this recent haul, it looks like I'm gonna start collecting them more often.

I was unaware of how good Papo's animals could be (their prehistoric figures kinda poisoned the well, tbh). So, I bought a few, and I think I'll be buying more.

I really love these, especially the Asian Elephant, he's so nice looking.

Here's a picture of the Humpback calf along with the Monterey Bay Aquarium figure by Safari (using the base from the PNSO Basilosaurus).

I have a few other modern animals, and I'll take some pictures of them at some point. I'm also open to suggestions on figures. I know next to nothing about modern day animal toys.

bmathison1972

Gwangi

I don't really collect modern animals either, but it's getting harder not too. The Papo hippo has long been on my wish list.

suspsy

You should try reviewing that Asian elephant. There's already one of a cow and a calf from Schleich; now the blog needs a mighty bull with big tusks. 

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on August 26, 2020, 12:35:50 PM
You should try reviewing that Asian elephant. There's already one of a cow and a calf from Schleich; now the blog needs a mighty bull with big tusks.

You should review ALL of these :-D

Loon

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Also, @bmathison1972, if they need to be reviewed, I can do them; but, with University starting, I won't be able to knock them out so quickly.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Loon on August 26, 2020, 07:31:29 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Also, @bmathison1972, if they need to be reviewed, I can do them; but, with University starting, I won't be able to knock them out so quickly.

No rush; we appreciate what you can do, when you can do it. Thanks!

sirenia

Nice little collection there Loon. Like the description as "not dead" too!

Loon

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit, but I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words. Part of the reason I've been busy was the fact that I was updating my collection display.

Now, most of it's dinosaurs and other prehistoric fauna, so I won't share it here. If you'd like to see any of the other shelves, click here.

So, here it is, I've finally got a nice display together for my modern animals.

As you can see, it's definitely grown a bit from the last time I posted my collection, and thanks to an order of some new CollectA figures, they might need to find a new home sooner than later.

bmathison1972

Loon

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 17, 2020, 12:12:21 PM
Nice Loon! Beautiful displays!

Thank you! I'm very proud of them.

Well, the collection has expanded quite a bit since I put together that display and it looks like the modern animals are going to be moving from their current home sooner than later.

First up is Safari's 2017 American Alligator. This is a really fantastic looking model, and it feels so nice to have a good alligator figure. I haven't seen many figures that capture crocodilians this well. Though, it is quite large, larger than I was expecting. Still, I'm happy to have it.

Here's Papo's Ring-tailed Lemur and Baby figure. This is actually my least favorite figure of the lot. I don't know, it's nice, just not as amazing as the rest. I believe there was a Mojo figure that was almost identical to this, I'm not sure if that one came out before amor after this, though. Speaking to lemurs, I'd love a figure of Coquerel's sifaka.

CollectA's 2018 Sperm Whale is the opposite of the Alligator, where it's smaller than I expected. Despite that, I really like the detail, and I'm kinda relieved I don't have another giant whale to figure out how to display. I actually got this one based on @suspsy's review, as I found it far more appealing than Papo or Mojo's.

Now, some homeland pride, Mojo's California Sea Lion. Going to the coast a lot, I've encountered these beauties quite a few times. I particularly remember a large group of them hanging out in Monterey Bay during a particularly memorable vacation from my childhood. This is a really good figure of this species. I'm actually surprised by how nice some of these Mojo animals are, considering their dinosaurs.

And finally, Papo's 2018 Giraffe. This is my favorite. I love this figure so much, and I can't exactly say why. I've always had a foundness for Giraffes, and this just seems to check all the right boxes.

bmathison1972

these are nice selections. I would get the alligator if not so big! :)

callmejoe3

Yeah. I agree the Collecta Sperm Whale's a really nice figure, and overall more accurate than Mojo's or the current Papo one. Though, I think I slightly prefer the really recent Safari Ltd one that's almost precisely the same size. The way it was handled makes it feel more realistic.

Advicot

Loon, if you want a Coquerel's sifaka, Safari released one in their primates TOOB  :)
Don't I take long uploading photos!

Loon

@bmathison1972 yeah, the size is a bit much, even though I'm not a scale based collector.

@callmejoe3 I hadn't really paid much attention to the Safari Sperm Whale, because I thought it was much smaller. But, then again, this one turned out to be smaller as well, so I may pick that one up at some point.

@Advicot I checked out that TOOB, I had to have it. Just put an order in along with a few more Safari figures. The Sifaka's even in the classic jumping pose like in Zoboomafoo.

I know a lot of lemurs do this in the wild, but there is no denying how much of an impact this show had on me.

bmathison1972

callmejoe3

Quote from: Loon on September 23, 2020, 11:46:59 PM
@bmathison1972 yeah, the size is a bit much, even though I'm not a scale based collector.

@callmejoe3 I hadn't really paid much attention to the Safari Sperm Whale, because I thought it was much smaller. But, then again, this one turned out to be smaller as well, so I may pick that one up at some point.

@Advicot I checked out that TOOB, I had to have it. Just put an order in along with a few more Safari figures. The Sifaka's even in the classic jumping pose like in Zoboomafoo.

I know a lot of lemurs do this in the wild, but there is no denying how much of an impact this show had on me.

Here's a reference photo with the two together. The Collecta one is overall more detailed and possesses genital slits like the Pilot Whale and Minke. However, the Safari ltd one uses a relatively more accurate color that's darker and looks marginally less stylized than the Collecta one.  Sperm whales typically only look this brown in very bright lighting. Generally, especially on cloudy days, the tend to look dead-on like the safari figure.

Loon

@bmathison1972 thanks, great review by the way!

@callmejoe3 wow, side by side I like the safari a good bit more. I'll have to check it out.

Well, my newfound addiction conitnues. This time it's all Papo since that's what I usually buy from this seller.

I'm pretty happy with these guys. I'm in love with the Galapagos Tortoise. The tiger is probably the most disappointing, the paint looks cheap, almost like something from a cheap dollar store toy.

I got a box with some new CollectA figures today, but I haven't opened it yet. I also have a package with some Safari figures coming from them directly.

bmathison1972

@Loon not sure if you have read the discussions on the forums yet, but this particular model of Papo Galapagos tortoise appears to be sculpted after an Aldabra tortoise (notice the nuchal scute on the anterior end of the shell  ;) )

Loon

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 26, 2020, 11:47:55 AM
@Loon not sure if you have read the discussions on the forums yet, but this particular model of Papo Galapagos tortoise appears to be sculpted after an Aldabra tortoise (notice the nuchal scute on the anterior end of the shell  ;) )

Huh, I'd heard that Papo sometimes mixes up their modern animals, but I didn't know that was the case for this figure. Guess it just shows I'm even more of a novice when it comes to modern animals than extinct ones. Still, do you have a Galapagos Tortoise figure you'd recommend?