News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Blaine's Bug of the Day

Started by bmathison1972, January 11, 2017, 03:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Another new species (and genus!) for my Arthropod Collection, the giant Australian centipede, Ethmostigmus rubripes (Brandt, 1840). This figure is part of the Australia's Deadliest Nature Tube by K&M International for the Wild Republic Line (2018). I am currently preparing a review of the whole tube for the Animal Toy Blog.

bmathison1972

Revisiting the Sydney funnelweb spider, Atrax robustus Cambridge, 1877, the most venomous spider in the world! This is another figure from the Australia's Deadliest Nature Tube by K&M International for the Wild Republic Line (2018).

My full nest of nasties, with others by Bullyland, Yowies (x2), Science & Nature, and Takara Tomy A.R.T.S.

bmathison1972

The last of the three new arthropods form K&M's Australia's Deadliest Nature Tube: the redback spider, Lactrodectus hasseltii Thorell, 1870.

With other figures by Science & Nature and Takara Tomy A.R.T.S.

bmathison1972

A NEW SPECIES for me, the Balkan pillbug, Armadillidium klugii Brandt, 1833 by Bandai for the fifth set in the Dango Mushi collection! This species is aposematically colored to look like the malmignatte, Latrodectus tredecimguttatus. I am going to keep this figure rolled up for display purposes:

bmathison1972

Another from the Dango Mushi 05 collection by Bandai, the giant deep-sea isopod, Bathynomus giganteus Milne-Edwards, 1879. I plan on reviewing this for the Blog so I'll only show two pics now:

bmathison1972

A new genus and species for me, the Chilean rose tarantula, Grammostola rosea (Walckenaer, 1837) by Yowie Group for the Gummies line. I won't sugarcoat this post. There is nothing special about this figure. It looks like dozens of generic spiders sold as Halloween decor. BUT, this is what Yowie Group marketed it as...

bmathison1972

A new species for me, the zebra pillbug, Armadillidium maculatum Risso, 1816 by Bandai for the third release of the Dango Mushi line.

Here are all my Dango Mush isopods. The two in front that are opened up are the original colors for Cubaris murina and Armadillidium vulgare. In the back, from left to right are the five species:
1. Bathynomus giganteus
2. Cubaris murina
3. Armadillidium maculatum
4. Armadillidium klugii
5. Armadillidium vulgare

Halichoeres

Those are adorable! And the articulations are ingenious.
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

bmathison1972

A new genus and species for me, the banded peacock, Anartia fatima (Fabricius, 1793) by Land & Sea Collectibles. This is another of the small stonecast butterfly figurines by Land & Sea. I have six now, bought randomly on eBay. I have seen two others that I do not have yet. Of the 8 (including 5 that I have), the identifications are pretty straight-forward (my sixth is colored more like an emerald moth...)

stargatedalek

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 12, 2019, 01:30:55 AM
Here are all my Dango Mush isopods. The two in front that are opened up are the original colors for Cubaris murina and Armadillidium vulgare. In the back, from left to right are the five species:
1. Bathynomus giganteus
2. Cubaris murina
4. Armadillidium klugii
5. Armadillidium vulgare

They're all so cute! I have the (second release) Cubaris marina on order and I can hardly wait until I can see it in hand.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 20, 2019, 02:25:55 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 12, 2019, 01:30:55 AM
1. Bathynomus giganteus
2. Cubaris murina
4. Armadillidium klugii
5. Armadillidium vulgare

They're all so cute! I have the (second release) Cubaris marina on order and I can hardly wait until I can see it in hand.

You won't be disappointed. The hardest thing is to decide whether to display it open or closed :)

bmathison1972

Another new genus and species for me, the golden ghost crab Ocypode convexa Quoy & Gaimard, 1824 by Yowie Group's newest series, Colors of the Animal Kingdom

For a detailed review, see my blog post:

http://animaltoyforum.com/blog/2019/12/21/golden-ghost-crab-colors-of-the-animal-kingdom-by-yowie-group/

Isidro

The most comical-looking crab that I've ever seen :D

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on December 21, 2019, 06:12:09 AM
The most comical-looking crab that I've ever seen :D

I dunno...I think the MegaHouse snow crab has it beat  :))

bmathison1972

The stag beetle, Dorcus curvidens (Hope, 1840) by Kaiyodo -Chocoegg Animatales Series 1. I am astonished there was a Chocoegg arthropod figure I did not have! I have no idea how it escaped me for so long!
Of note, there is some taxonomic confusion between D. curvidens and D. hopei. This was marketed as the former, but could easily represent the latter. They are too similar in morphology to be separated in figures.

bmathison1972

Revisiting the red-streaked box crab, Calappa lophos (Herbst, 1782) by Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour for the 2019 set Seaside Creatures Vol. 2. To my knowledge, this is the first C. lophos figure not made by Kaiyodo (but it looks as though Bandai will release one in their Dango Mushi line later this year). It is nearly the same size as the Kaiyodo figures, but the claws (front legs) are attached medially.

Here it is (on the rock), overlooking the three by Kaiyodo:

AnimalToyForum

bmathison1972

Three females of the green stag beetle, Lamprima adolphinae (Gestro, 1875). These three beetles were 'chase' figures released in conjunction with the 2008 set, Encyclopedia of Insects Vol. 3. But, they were only sold by phone in Japan. If you purchased the main set, there was a phone number on the box. You called the number and ordered the set over the phone, and then they would be shipped to you. I think there was a limited number (200? Beetle Guy can correct me if I am wrong). These figures are VERY rare (but luckily were not too expensive). Thanks to Beetle Guy for alerting me to them, and Brett and Emiko for securing them!

Now these three males have dates to take to the prom :). The two outer males are from the corresponding 2008 F-toys set. The male in the middle is by Sega. The sexual dimorphism is accurate there; the females are very small next to the males.

Advicot

They are some gorgeous beetles Blaine  :)
Don't I take long uploading photos!

bmathison1972

Thank you Adam and Advicot!

Today is the last of my recent arthropod acquisitions, the Japanese horseshoe crab, Tachypleus tridentatus (Leach, 1819). This figure was released in late 2019 by Kitan Club (good to know that KC is still making figures, even if Ikimon has taken over the Nature Techni Colour line). The figure is a wind-up toy; normally I do not collect these, but for a horseshoe crab I can make an exception :). The figure was one of a set of five, all representing different colors: dark brown (here), black (or very dark brown), brick-red, tan (camel), and white (albino?). I picked the dark brown one as I thought it was the most 'natural looking' (although the camel-colored one could work, too).

There are two other horseshoe crabs that have been announced to date for 2020, one my Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (looks like the next release of the Friends of Water collection) and CollectA. I won't be able to ID them until I see them in-hand, but looking at promo pics, the CollectA figure looks like Tachypleus tridentatus while the Takara figure looks like the Atlantic horseshoe crab, Limulus polyphemus (kinda the reverse of what one might expect).

EDIT: The Takara figure is likely a male T. tridentatus, which has six longer spines...

I may do a thorough blog review of this KC horseshoe crab, we shall see...

Here is the figure with additional figures of T. tridentatus by For Corporation, Kaiyodo (2), and Epoch