News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Blaine's Bug of the Day

Started by bmathison1972, January 11, 2017, 03:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Today I received the 2020 horseshoe crab by CollectA. The figure is not marketed at the species level. Although it was sold in their prehistoric line, and it may have been modeled after an extinct species, morphologically it is consistent with the Atlantic horseshoe crab, Limulus polyphemus:

1. the telson is shorter than the prosoma + opisthosoma
2. the shape of the carapace (prosoma), being evenly rounded
3. the armature on the carapace
4. the flaps that cover the book gills have a pair of terminal flaps

The figure is 16.2 cm long and only very slightly smaller than the Safari Ltd figure

bmathison1972

JimoAi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 26, 2020, 02:59:50 AM
Revisiting the red-streaked box crab, Calappa lophos (Herbst, 1785) by Bandai for Dango Mushi 06, new for 2020:

Here it is with other figures by Kaiyodo (3x) and Ikimon:

Read my Blog review of it here: http://animaltoyforum.com/blog/2020/05/25/red-streaked-box-crab-dango-mushi-06-by-bandai/
How do you measure the carapace width of Calappa lophos?

bmathison1972

across its widest points; I think if you look online there is an open access revision (it's been a while since I used it). Sometimes for carapace I use length; just depends what literature is available and what criteria they use

JimoAi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 10, 2021, 01:19:21 PM
across its widest points; I think if you look online there is an open access revision (it's been a while since I used it). Sometimes for carapace I use length; just depends what literature is available and what criteria they use
From the end of the sharp points for Calappa lophos?

Beetle guy

Just read your review on de fireflies! Great work!
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on January 11, 2021, 08:44:05 PM
Just read your review on de fireflies! Great work!

Thanks! I was super excited to complete that set!