News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Blaine's Bug of the Day

Started by bmathison1972, January 11, 2017, 03:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isidro

Great to know! Then any of the two figures deserve to be present in my collection :D I also discovered some nice Kaiyodo and Colorata Japanese giant spider crab at same scale! :)

bmathison1972

Revisiting the red-clawed crab, Chiromantes haematocheir (De Haan, 1833) by Kaiyodo for their Revogeo line, new for 2019.

Here is the Revogeo figure with other members of this species. From left to right:

1. Kaiyodo - Capsule Q Museum - Japanese Crabs Collection
2. Kaiyodo - Capsule Q Museum - Japanese Crabs Collection (juveline)
3. Wing Mau
4. Yujin
5. Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales Series 3

bmathison1972

Revisiting the common water flea, Daphnia pulex Leydig, 1860, by So-Ta Crystal Light Ball Plankton set, new for 2019. The animal is etched into the glass. The ball sits loosely (not attached) to the base; the ball measure 4.0 cm in diameter. The base contains a switch that activates red, blue, and green lights that cycle through. So, the color is always changing, from white to blue to green to hot pink!

My colony of water fleas is growing! Here is the new So-Ta figure with others by Kaiyodo (3x), Takara Tomy A.R.T.S., Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour, and Epoch:

Beetle guy

Such grand collection you have!  :o
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

I recently got several buggies from Japan, so expect several updates in coming days (one taxon per day!!!)

Revisiting the giant Asian hornet, Vespa mandarinia Smith, 1852 with the 2019 life cycle set by Epoch. The set comes with one queen and one worker (both 1:1 scale), a larva, a pupa, and two pairs of brood chambers:

And now my whole colony (minus a couple larger figures) with another larva by Shineg and additional adults by Kaiyodo (2x), Rement, Yujin, and Break Co. LTD:

bmathison1972

Revisiting the Japanese luehdorfia, Luehdorfia japonica Leech, 1889 with the new acrylic mascot figure by Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour.

And here it is with other figures by Kaiyodo and Kabaya:

bmathison1972

A new species for me, the hermit crab Pagurus filholi (de Man, 1887), by Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. Friends of the Water, new for 2019. This is an amazing figure. First of all, the crab comes complete out of its shell. The crab is accurately sculpted all the way to the tip of the abdomen. You have to gently turn the figure as you put it in the shell. It fits very snug and I am afraid to try to remove it for fear of breakage (I wish I had photographed it before I assembled it). The claws are also separate pieces that have to be connected. This might be one of the best sculpted hermit crab figures out there! @stargatedalek you should pursue this one, if you haven't already. You won't be disapointed!
The set also came with a red swamp crayfish and a red-necked slider turtle.

The genus Pagurus in toy/figure form. From left to right:
1. Pagurus longicarpus(Epoch)
2. Pagurus samuelis(Yujin; later re-released by T-TARTs)
3. Pagurus filholi (T-TARTs)

stargatedalek

It's a lot larger than I'd expected! I've been keeping an eye out but I haven't spotted these outside of YAJ yet. If it sticks in its shell perhaps I'll have an excuse to get two. ;)

bmathison1972

It's not that big; pretty standard gashapon-sized (remember that Yujin hermit crab is rather small)

bmathison1972

Revisiting the red swamp crayfish, Procambrus clarkii (Girard, 1852) by Takara Tomy A.R.T.S., Friends of Water, new for 2019. This figure was in the same set with the previously-shown Pagurus filholi. This species is a staple among the Japanese companies and we may see one in the Kaiyodo Revogeo line sometime as well.

Here it is with other figures by T-TARTs, Kaiyodo, and Yujin:

bmathison1972

Revisiting the greater death's-head hawkmoth, Acherontia lachesis (Fabricius, 1798) by Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour, Butterflies Acrylic Mascot set, new for 2019.

The death's-head collection:

Top row: Acherontia lachesis by Ikimon (adult) and Kaiyodo (larva)
Bottom row: Acherontia atropos by Paleo-Creatures and Funrise Toys

Isidro

I never would imagine that any toy maker would commercialize a hawk moth (or any other lepidopteran) as if completely deprived from its scales, both in body and in wings. A bit awful!

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on August 05, 2019, 05:36:08 PM
I never would imagine that any toy maker would commercialize a hawk moth (or any other lepidopteran) as if completely deprived from its scales, both in body and in wings. A bit awful!

Not really when you consider the set. The Funrise toys were just that...toys...released in the 1990s before the quality got better.

bmathison1972

Presenting a NEW SPECIES for me, the Japanese luna moth, Actias artemis (Bremer et Grey, 1853) by Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour, Butterflies Acrylic Mascot set, new for 2019.

Here it is with its cousin at a similar scale, the luna moth, Actias luna by Innovative Kids - Groovy Tube Books, Bug Blast!

bmathison1972

Revisiting the Atlas moth, Attacus atlas (Linnaeus, 1758) with the Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour, Butterfly Acrylic Mascot, new for 2019.

Here it is with figures by Paleo-Creatures and Kaiyodo (the latter of which is one of the best lepidopteran figures ever!):

bmathison1972

Revisiting the praying, or European, mantis, Mantis religiosa (Linneaus, 1758) with the 2019 figure by Papo.

With other praying mantises by Western companies, including those by Safari LTD (x2), CollectA, K&M International, and a very large vintage figure by Jasman Toys.

bmathison1972

Revisiting the 'eighty-eight' butterflies with Callicore kolyma (Hewitson, 1851) by Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour, Butterfly Acrylic Mascots, new for 2019. This species is sometimes placed in the genus Catacore. The figure was marketed as a member of the genus Diaethra, but I think C. kolyma is a much better fit. Eighty-eight butterflies get their name from the markings on the underside of the hindwings, resembling an '88' (or an '89').

Dorsal shot:

Ventral shot:

Here it is with Callicore eunomia by Blip Toys (Natures Wonders).

bmathison1972

Time to update this thread with some more 2019 releases. First, the most exciting of the year for me, the pill scarab Madrasostes kazumai hisamatsui Ochi, 1990 by Bandai, Dango Mushi 04. First representative of this species, genus, and even family (Hybosoridae)! If you want to know more, Beetle Guy did a review of this figure for the Animal Toy Blog (here: http://animaltoyforum.com/blog/2019/09/15/pill-scarab-dango-mushi-series-by-bandai/)

Beetle guy

Ah, You have got it! Amazing figurine it is.
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

A new species of dragonfly, Hine's emerald, Somatochlora hineana Williamson, 1931 by Safari LTD for their 2020 Great Lakes TOOB. The ID (courtesy of sphyrna18) is speculative but given the color and that the set's focus is the Great Lakes, makes the most sense to me!

The rest of the TOOB will be reviewed eventually. I will not put in on ATF yet, as Gwangi wants to review the set for the Blog!