Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Anurans - Frogs and Toads

Started by brontodocus, December 31, 2012, 12:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Beetle guy

I will contribute more to this overview post on anurans.

The poison dart frogs series #2 form Kitan Club (now Ikimon) NATURE TECHNI COLOUR MONO.
These are a more difficult find than the frogs from series 1 (esspecially the magnet versions in which the little frogs can be detached from their leaf-bases).

Copper covered the series #1 on the DTF http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=566.0

They were released in 2013. And they are great! Even though the same 2 sculpts as with series #1 (released in 2011) were used. 
The sculpts are great as you can see  ^-^

There are two different sculpts in this set; the bigger sitting frog (4 pieces) and the little frogs on leafes (4 pieces). So the different species are made bij their coats of paint.
The painting especially on the little ones is super detailed and accurate! The sculpting is done by the artist KOW, known for many great animal sculpts for a.o. Yujin, Ikimon and if I am correct for some Kaiyodo models (I do not know for sure).

The line-up:
Sitting ones: Epipedobates trivittatus (Ameerega trivittata), Dendrobates auratus (front), Dendrobates histrionicus (back) and Phyllobates terribilis.
On leafs: Dendrobates amazonicus, Dendrobates mysteriosus, Dendrobates lamasi and  Dendrobates reticulatus

Epipedobates trivittatus (Ameerega trivittata)

Phyllobates terribilis

Dendrobates histrionicus

Dendrobates auratus

Dendrobates mysteriosus (12 o'clock), Dendrobates reticulatus (3 o'clock), Dendrobates lamasi  (6 o'clock),  Dendrobates amazonicus (9 o'clock)

Detail D. amazonicus

D. reticulatus
To beetle or not to beetle.

Beetle guy

The green-and-black poison dart frog (Dendrobates auratus), also known as the green-and-black poison arrow frog and numerous other names.
This one, I strongly think, was made as a prototype. The My Favorite Animal models were on Yahoo Auctions and they are stunning! They went for sometimes high prices.
Well what can I say, it is allready one of my favorites! :))

It really has fine details and the pose is very, very nice!

This one is scale 1:1 for a large female D. auratus. It measures 42 mm. It cannot be removed from its (very nice jungle-like) base.
The materiaal it is made of feels like a resin, hard but the light weight kind.

Compared to the Kitan Club Nature Technicolour D. auratus

No name or information on the base or figurine.

bmathison1972

Beautiful....would you post one pic here (http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2435.0) as well, as well as any others you might get? Thanks

bmathison1972

Review of the complete set of the Frogs in Colour Pictorial Book by Yujin (release date unknown). I am not specializing in amphibians yet (soon though), but this set was available so I snatched it up. I was going to show them when I covered amphibians, but the figures are so amazing I had to highlight itself! These are some of the best figures I own (Yujin were always among the best).

1. Japanese tree frog, Hyla japonica.
I will probably replace this figure with one of the Ikimon figures on a mushroom :-)

2. forest green tree frog, Rhacophorus arboreus.

3. Isikawa's frog, Odorrana ishikawae.

4. Japanese brown frog, Rana japonica.

5. Ryukyu kajika frog, Buergeria japonicus.

6. ornate narrow-mouthed frog, Microhyla ornata.

7. eastern Japanese toad, Bufo japonicus formosus.

8. American bullfrog, Lithobates catesbeianus.

9. red-eyed tree frog, Agalychnis callidryas

10. Malayan leaf frog, Megophrys nasuta

11. Argentine horned frog, Ceratophrys ornata.

12. dyeing dart frog, Dendrobates tinctorius.

Secret A. black-spotted pond frog, Pelophylax nigromaculatus.

Secret B. Nagoya Daruma pond frog, Pelophylax porosus brevipodus.

Secret C. stream brown frog, Rana sakuraii.

Beetle guy

Hyla hallowellii, Hallowell's Tree Frogs.
Two colour variations by Kaiyodo ChocoQ from series 9. Scale 1:1.
These figurines are so much more realistic and better than the early ChocoQ and Furuta series.

Really nice, both of them very realistic and no to annoying connection lines. Love these and that I was lucky to find both!!

Basic one in the series in front.

Special colour variation in front.

Even beautifully detailed underneath. This is one of the reasons I prefer the Japanese animal figurines above others ;-)

Beetle guy

Hyla japonica, Japanese Tree Frogs.
Two colour variations by Kaiyodo ChocoQ from series 11.
These figurines are so much more realistic and better than the early ChocoQ and Furuta series. These two can be detached from their base.

And two colour variations from the ASAHIYAMA CapsuleZOO, also by Kaiyodo.
The blue base is much bigger than the usual bottlecaps. The frogs can be separated from the leaves and base.

Beetle guy

Two colour variations of the Okinawa Tip-nosed frog (Odorrana narina). By Kaiyodo CapsuleQ museum, scale 1:1 for small individuals.
The Japanese common name is "Hanasaki" meaning nose tip.

The frog is mostly brown but some have green spots or backs.
It lives in the Northern part of Okinawa Island and is threatened at the level of endangered.

Beetle guy

Ceratophrys ornata from Kaiyodo SUNSHINE AQUARIUM series. The different aquarium series host a lot of special frogs like this one. There is also a green version of this sculpt in the Sunshine Aquarium series. It was released in august 2011.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on July 22, 2019, 08:37:45 AM
Two colour variations of the Okinawa Tip-nosed frog (Odorrana narina). By Kaiyodo CapsuleQ museum, scale 1:1 for small individuals.
The Japanese common name is "Hanasaki" meaning nose tip.

The frog is mostly brown but some have green spots or backs.
It lives in the Northern part of Okinawa Island and is threatened at the level of endangered.

Nice additions Marcel. This is a nice figure of a species I don't have yet in my Synoptic Collection. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it someday.

Beetle guy

The first series of Japanese tree frogs (Hyla japonica) has actually three versions. The version with the clear transparant bases, The colour variation version (with a light blue frog, when frogs have a lack of yellow pigment they look blue) having light green transparant bases.

and this version...The PERFECT COLOUR edition with five figurines on transparant blue bases (no strap figurines in this set).
The colour is beter and with much more details on the legs feet and eyes. It was released in april 2015.

The complete set.

1. Hyla japonica on Half-dyed Slender Ceasar (Amanita hemibapha)
2. Hyla japonica on Panthercap Mushroom (Amanita pantherina)
3. Hyla japonica on Destroying Angel (Amanita virosa)
4. Hyla japonica on Javan Slender Ceasar (Amanita javanica)
5. Hyla japonica on Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria)

Comparing the PERFECT COLOUR version of the Hyla japonica on Amanita muscaria with the first edition one.

sbell

Beetle guy

Quote from: sbell on August 11, 2019, 09:43:44 PM
Do you have a version of the blue one to compare as well?

Here is the page on Ikimon on them, they have the more simple paint and colour swap by two mushrooms.
http://naturetechnicolour.com/ntc_54/

Advicot

Don't I take long uploading photos!

BlueKrono

Does anyone know of a source for a Papo horned frog that isn't a ridiculous price? They stopped making them barely two years ago. Why can't I find one?
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

Kitan Club 2011 Lehmann's poison frog:

EpicRaptorMan

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 06, 2023, 03:28:56 AMDoes anyone know of a source for a Papo horned frog that isn't a ridiculous price? They stopped making them barely two years ago. Why can't I find one?
I got mine about less than a year ago from some foreign website. A user here recommended me the website but I cannot remember the name. Sorry.

BlueKrono

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on January 28, 2024, 02:03:12 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on March 06, 2023, 03:28:56 AMDoes anyone know of a source for a Papo horned frog that isn't a ridiculous price? They stopped making them barely two years ago. Why can't I find one?
I got mine about less than a year ago from some foreign website. A user here recommended me the website but I cannot remember the name. Sorry.

It was... me. 😉
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

A couple Safari IC frogs:

Green tree frog:

Spotted chorus frog:

these both use the same sculpt

Shane

I have two of the frogs from that set, the red one and the more spotted one, but the green tree frog eludes me (and I don't feel like paying $20 when it does come up).

Very cool figures.