Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Anurans - Frogs and Toads

Started by brontodocus, December 31, 2012, 12:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Congrats, sauroid, so your collection will be complete shortly! :)
I have all the labels, too. I could scan them but they are somewhere in my labels boxes on the attic, it'll take me a few days but I can do it. I'd suggest for these informations restricted just to this series we may also open up a separate thread for it in the Animal Toy Lines section.

stemturtle

Sauroid, you are lucky to own the entire set of Yujin frogs. Thanks for posting the Google image of the frogs.
We could number each frog pictured, but as long as brontodocus has a label to scan, that is not necessary.

Brontodocus, thank you for volunteering. Could the label be scanned just once for the first 12 frog images?
Don't know about images of the 3 secret figures.
It's just my preference for posting under the topic of animal groups. You could also post under the topic of toy lines.

sauroid

Yujin Rana japonica (set complete :))

brontodocus

Hey, that was fast! Congrats, sauroid! :)
Quote from: stemturtle on December 28, 2014, 06:15:06 PM
Sauroid, you are lucky to own the entire set of Yujin frogs. Thanks for posting the Google image of the frogs.
We could number each frog pictured, but as long as brontodocus has a label to scan, that is not necessary.

Brontodocus, thank you for volunteering. Could the label be scanned just once for the first 12 frog images?
Don't know about images of the 3 secret figures.
It's just my preference for posting under the topic of animal groups. You could also post under the topic of toy lines.
My thought was to keep the focus on the figures here and that we already gathered a lot of information about one specific series of a toy line to qualify for a thread of its own. We could do both, of course. :) The labels, if I remember correctly, are different for every figure since the respective one they come with is shown on a photo.

stemturtle

Yujin Frogs in Colour

1. Hyla japonica, Japanese tree frog
2. Rhacophorus arboreus, forest green tree frog
3. Odorrana (syn. Rana) ishikawae, Ishikawa's frog
4. Rana japonica, Japanese brown frog

5. Buergeria japonica, Ryukyu Kajika frog
6. Microhyla ornata, ornate narrow mouthed frog
7. Bufo japonicus formosus, Eastern Japanese common toad
8. Rana catesbeiana, American bullfrog

9.  Agalychnis callidryas, red-eyed tree frog
10. Megophrys nasuta, Malayan horned frog
11. Ceratophrys ornata, Argentinian or ornate horned frog
12. Dendrobates tinctorius, dyeing poison-arrow frog

Secret figures:
13. Pelophylax nigromaculatus (syn. Rana nigromaculata), dark-spotted frog
14. Pelophylax (syn. Rana) porosa brevipoda, Nagoya Daruma pond frog
15. Rana sakuraii, stream brown frog

Credit to my wife for rearranging the images provided by sauroid. Credit to brontodocus for identification posted on DTF v.1.

sauroid

awesome job stemturtle (and wife). thanks.

brontodocus

Quote from: sauroid on January 01, 2015, 03:49:14 PM
awesome job stemturtle (and wife). thanks.
That's indeed a great overview, stemturtle, many thanks to you and your wife. ^-^ However, I've been unable to locate my labels of the Yujin frogs even after intensively searching for them on the attic (I did find those of the Kitan Club frogs, though, if there's interest, however, I only have a basic set of seven without the secret). :-[ So maybe someone else who has the Yujin frogs labels could scan at least one of them?

stemturtle

Thank you for searching for the Yujin labels, brontodocus. I believe the current reference as posted on Reply 45 should be sufficient.
If you want to post a scan or scans of the label(s) of the Kitan Club frogs, the more references the better.

stemturtle

Wallace's Flying Frog

Wallace's flying frog, Rhacophorus nigropalmatus (Nature's Wonders HD), SVL 1.5 inches or 4 cm.

This frog resembles the green flying frog, R. reinwardtii, but is larger, lacking the orange toes.
Ironically, the figure of the green flying frog by Colorata is larger than this replica (see Reply #12 for photo). Of course, these frogs glide rather than fly.
This is the fourth frog in a set of 4 by Blip Toys. Brontodocus posted photos earlier in this thread for the blue poison dart frog, hourglass treefrog, and green toad.

The common name of R. nigropalmatus honors Alfred Russel Wallace, who printed an illustration of this frog in his popular book, The Malay Archipelago.
He co-authored the theory of natural selection with Charles Darwin, before the publication of the Origin of Species
I am glad we have a figure to remind us of this great naturalist.

postsaurischian

:D Wonderful, colourful, beautiful!

Here are two Kaiyodo figures that should also be shown in this thread:

-  Natural Monuments of Japan No.48  Kajika Frog
-  Aqualand  Red-eyed Tree Frog    >> walk around

Jetoar

Flying frog is really cute  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stemturtle

Common rain frog, Breviceps adspersus (Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum)

SVL is 1 3/16 inches or 30 mm. Average life size is 30 to 50 mm.
Figure is one of six from a set of frog and pouch good luck charms.
Nice to see another African species of frog. Brontodocus, my compliments to you on your skill at identification.

brontodocus

Oh, wow, so it's already available then? :o 8) Absolutely awesome and a must have for me! Thanks for showing this, stemturtle. While the others from the set didn't appear too naturalistic as far as I could see from the photo in the Kaiyodo thread, this one really stands out. And it is probably as cute as a frog can be. ^-^

stargatedalek

stemturtle

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 24, 2015, 09:39:27 PM
what material is it made of?

The frogs are made of usual hard plastic by Kaiyodo. Each frog has a small pouch made of blue cloth.
Postsaurischian posted an image of this set. I bought my set on eBay.

Takama

Ever since I seen this Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVT8-Jgb8lo

I grew an interest in the Screaming ability of Frogs. So much so that i am going to make the New Wild Safari figure Scream with my own voice.

FYI this is the same figure that comes with the Life cycle of a Frog set in the Safariology series.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

I have to say that I'm not overly happy with this new frog figure. :-\ Proportions and details are very generic and those stumpy toes and fingers would have looked much better if they were thinner. Safari Ltd has proven that they are capable of making a really good Bullfrog with their IC version so I wonder why this one could not have been made substantially better.

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on April 10, 2015, 10:15:04 AM
I have to say that I'm not overly happy with this new frog figure. :-\ Proportions and details are very generic and those stumpy toes and fingers would have looked much better if they were thinner. Safari Ltd has proven that they are capable of making a really good Bullfrog with their IC version so I wonder why this one could not have been made substantially better.

I agree; I also think it's kinda cheap to throw a life cycle figure into the NAW line. But, it does give someone the opportunity to just get the adult, if that's all they want...

Newt

I'm agin it. The shapes are all wrong, and the orange-peel texture is weird. And that color! I've seen bullfrogs in a lot of different hues, but not electric chartreuse.

I wish you luck with your project, Takama, but I think if you're going to put a lot of effort into it you'd be better off using a nice figure to start with.