News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Silver Arowana (Kaiyodo - Aqualand)

Started by sbell, September 06, 2015, 04:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

This is a walk around of a Kaiyodo Aqualand Silver Arowana Osteoglossum bicirrhosum--but, interestingly, not the same model that I've seen elsewhere (it can be seen in this thread http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=65.40!

I have also never seen it in a catalog scan from Kaiyodo, so I don't know much more, other than it's my only Osteoglossum figure!

And for those wondering, the fish really is that greenish-yellow along the dorsum. Between that and the overall shape, I knew immediately that this was a different arowana figure (but it is definitely not a Scleropages, so I'm good!)

The figure is about 12 cm long, so it is about 1:7.5 scale (assuming it is a full grown 90cm).

And for scale with a 'person' (it's the closest I have, but the right length for an average adult woman)

I've been around big arowana, but never one that large!

brontodocus

Wow! :o So this is one of only two Osteoglossum figures I've ever seen photos from (yes, the other one was the other Aqualand version). Not sure if Arowana mucus can host microscopic algae but that might be a reasonable explanation for the greenish colour if you want one for your figure. Although I never measured one, I've seen several Arowanas in public aquaria which may have approached 90 cm.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on September 06, 2015, 10:38:26 AM
Wow! :o So this is one of only two Osteoglossum figures I've ever seen photos from (yes, the other one was the other Aqualand version). Not sure if Arowana mucus can host microscopic algae but that might be a reasonable explanation for the greenish colour if you want one for your figure. Although I never measured one, I've seen several Arowanas in public aquaria which may have approached 90 cm.

I had one that was just about 60cm before I moved and had to sell it, but I haven't been closer to a larger one. It's possible I've come across them in public aquaria as well.

They're pretty impressive animals.

Still not sure why this one has green on it (although they apparently can have blue, red, purple, pink, yellow or green sheens to them, depending on lighting, diet and environment). Maybe the painter/sculptor wanted to shake it up a bit. I'm more surprised that we have yet to see a juvenile black arowana O. ferreirai, as they are so distinct (as adults, less so--just a dark margin on the unpaired fins).