News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Fish with History! Lobe-fins, Ganoid scales, Bony Tongues, Cartilage skeletons!

Started by sbell, December 11, 2012, 10:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Quote from: Varanus on December 18, 2012, 11:51:08 PM
Colors aside, could this be a Viper Moray (Enchelynassa formosa)?

Enchelycore was my guess, too, when I bought the figure, the slightly hooked lower jaw would suggest it. :) But all Enchelycore species I've seen have teeth in the upper jaw that reach behind (or at least well under) the eye, here they are more restricted to the tip of the mouth. Of course, I don't know if some teeth were removed in the figure to allow easier casting, so it is possible. But wouldn't that have left traces? Just judging from photos on fishbase, I see a lot of species that could have been the one the AAA figure was cast from. Even the smaller Gymnothorax species (and juveniles? I can imagine this has something to do with allometric growth) don't necessarily have the massive head with stout jaws we often see.

Quote from: sbell on December 18, 2012, 08:21:25 PM
If I get really motivated, I might try and list everything that fits this category. Then we'd know what's around, and what is missing (plus, if it comes up, we might have an idea of what to ask a company for!).  I know the 'rules' behind this thread are pretty loose (lungfish, eels, sturgeons and arowana are pretty disparate) but as a group they kind of fit together as unusual fish with a long evolutionary history on top of unique morphology.

And yeah, the list is kind of selfish, because I always want to know what I'm missing!
I'd say that's a really good idea! Selfish? Nah, you wouldn't be the only one who benefits from such a list... 8)

AnimalToyForum

I've been thinking, maybe it would be a good idea to split this topic up into separate threads. A casual browser looking through the topics list might never find the eels, for example, especially as the forum grows. What do we think -  shall I split off the eels, at least, into a different thread?

sbell

Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 19, 2012, 11:55:37 AM
I've been thinking, maybe it would be a good idea to split this topic up into separate threads. A casual browser looking through the topics list might never find the eels, for example, especially as the forum grows. What do we think -  shall I split off the eels, at least, into a different thread?

As a group. elopomorphs fit the topic, it's just that nobody (yet) has made anything other than eels (and pelican eels, I suppose). But if anyone did make a tarpon or bonefish, they would fit here well. It's all about the leptocephali

When everything is listed out, it should be easy enough to find them!

postsaurischian

....... I know there are other figures out there--for example, the Aqualand silver arowana.

Here it is :):

Kaiyodo 'Aqualand'  Silver Arowana

compared to the Arowanas by Yujin and Colorata:

sbell

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 25, 2012, 03:19:06 PM
....... I know there are other figures out there--for example, the Aqualand silver arowana.

Here it is :):

Kaiyodo 'Aqualand'  Silver Arowana

compared to the Arowanas by Yujin and Colorata:

I can't believe I never even saw that come up for sale...maybe someday, somewhere!

brontodocus

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

Well, it looks like Colorata has found a way to draw me back. Behold, a third version of the Fossil Fishes Box. Only one change, but it is a beauty:

And hey, I can always use another polypterid anyway (great one for people making Spinosaurus dioramas)

sauroid

how big was the biggest prehistoric Polypterid? if it was six feet and more then it would be an appropriate Spinosaurus prey since both of them occured in Africa (to break away from the cliched coelacanth/gar)

brontodocus

Nice blue Asian Arowana! :)
Quote from: sauroid on February 13, 2014, 10:16:09 AM
how big was the biggest prehistoric Polypterid? if it was six feet and more then it would be an appropriate Spinosaurus prey since both of them occured in Africa (to break away from the cliched coelacanth/gar)
Yes, Bawitius bartheli from the Bahariya Formation of Egypt may have reached 2.5 to 3 m total length. :)

sauroid

Quote from: brontodocus on February 13, 2014, 11:44:07 AM
Yes, Bawitius bartheli from the Bahariya Formation of Egypt may have reached 2.5 to 3 m total length. :)
that is sooo cool. and they were both from Egypt and the Cretaceous! this makes me want to hug my bichirs ;D

sbell

Quote from: sauroid on February 13, 2014, 12:20:49 PM
that is sooo cool. and they were both from Egypt and the Cretaceous! this makes me want to hug my bichirs ;D

This drawing from Deviantart of all places gives a good sense of scale:

Best part is that the Colorata figure, being a P. endlicheri, is almost heavy-set enough to reflect Bawitius (there are a couple other species, but they are less complete). And yeah, anytime I have a fish tank there is at least 1 bichir in it. The other fish just have to grow or swim fast...

sauroid

Quote from: sbell on February 13, 2014, 02:04:05 PM
Quote from: sauroid on February 13, 2014, 12:20:49 PM

This drawing from Deviantart of all places gives a good sense of scale:

Best part is that the Colorata figure, being a P. endlicheri, is almost heavy-set enough to reflect Bawitius (there are a couple other species, but they are less complete). And yeah, anytime I have a fish tank there is at least 1 bichir in it. The other fish just have to grow or swim fast...
nice to know that there is another bichir keeper here.  :)
ironically, i have 3-4 inch tilapias (Oreochromis tanganicae) in my bichir (adult P. delhezi, palmas polli, weeksi, etc) tank and they are completely ignored.

postsaurischian

Quote from: sbell on February 13, 2014, 05:22:26 AM

Ohhh ... the blue Arowana is beautiful :D!
Now there are three reasons for me to finally buy the Fossil Fish box again.

sbell

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 13, 2014, 09:01:11 PM
Quote from: sbell on February 13, 2014, 05:22:26 AM

Ohhh ... the blue Arowana is beautiful :D!
Now there are three reasons for me to finally buy the Fossil Fish box again.

I can't believe you needed more than 1 reason! As I said, this will be my 3rd Fossil Fish box (do you like how definitive I am about that?!).

Fun fact--I am going back and forth with them trying to be convincing about adding a paddlefish in the next revision of this box--so, you know, anyone else who thinks we need one (EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD! THIS FORUM! THIS PLANET WHO HAS TOY FISH!) go like the Colorata page, find the thread (it's pretty new still) and chime in!

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on February 14, 2014, 01:39:33 AM

Fun fact--I am going back and forth with them trying to be convincing about adding a paddlefish in the next revision of this box--so, you know, anyone else who thinks we need one (EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD! THIS FORUM! THIS PLANET WHO HAS TOY FISH!) go like the Colorata page, find the thread (it's pretty new still) and chime in!

ONLY if you convince them to do another insect set of sorts or crustaceans. Colorata's quality in small diorama-style for crustaceans! That's be awesome

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 14, 2014, 02:09:30 AM

ONLY if you convince them to do another insect set of sorts or crustaceans. Colorata's quality in small diorama-style for crustaceans! That's be awesome

I'm all about the fish. But some decent sets of less common arthropods/inverts would be welcome.

postsaurischian

I can't believe you needed more than 1 reason! As I said, this will be my 3rd Fossil Fish box (do you like how definitive I am about that?!).

;D I see you're a fish fanatic. Yes, maybe the two new species should have been reason enough, but now I'm glad was hesitating :).

Maybe you can post a link here?

sauroid