Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Quote from: sauroid on January 18, 2016, 07:39:25 AM
takara TOMY arts buthid scorpion (i am just assuming it is a Buthid because of the shape of the tail). it is big, sized like a Pandinus or a Heterometrus.

yes, a buthid of sorts, possibly Androctonus or Parabuthus. I have this figure as well. Also came with a large mantid and three scarabaeoid beetles. Released in 2015.

here is the entire set:

sauroid

very cool bmathison, i got mine loose, wish i was able to get the rest of the set.

Yujin (and a lone Kaiyodo) coral reef fish

sbell

Quote from: sauroid on January 18, 2016, 07:39:25 AM
btw sbell, the killie looks more like a Cynolebias, and the "characin" looks more like a Cyprinid.

See, I'm going to need to look furtherr...but if it is still a killi of some kind, still kind of unexpected.

And yeah, cyprinid is what I should have wrote. I can almost picture the one I am thinking of, but it is escaping me (cherry barb comes to mind due to the colour, but the head is wrong).

docronnie

brontodocus

Great newcomers altogether! 8) I should look out for those PRIOR fishes. Oh, by the way, the Takara buthid scorpion seems to have a movable tail metasome, is it just the base or are all joints movable?

Jetoar

Wonderful new acquistions friends  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sauroid

Quote from: brontodocus on January 23, 2016, 03:38:16 PM
Great newcomers altogether! 8) I should look out for those PRIOR fishes. Oh, by the way, the Takara buthid scorpion seems to have a movable tail metasome, is it just the base or are all joints movable?
yes, the metasomal segments are movable. :)

sbell

I have many spares, and many that might suit different collections! Which ones are you thinking of?

And while I'm here, I just received my Safari 2016 order, which is of course fantastic!

And I received my first run of the FaunaFigures Fishes--Cuvier's bichir, West African Lungfish, and African Freshwater Butterflyfish.

I already ran out of the lungfish and bichir! But I do have more on the way.

Jetoar

the new great white shark looks fantastic  ^-^.

sbell

Quote from: Jetoar on January 25, 2016, 07:48:33 PM
the new great white shark looks fantastic  ^-^.
I really like what CollectA did with theirs this past year, but the Safari one is even better. Miles ahead of the original one!

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on January 25, 2016, 04:33:31 PM
I have many spares, and many that might suit different collections! Which ones are you thinking of?
Phew, I think the problem is that I will most likely not have too much to trade at the moment. :-\ The most interesting one is the Electric Catfish, but there are many other good ones, too. I have been able to find a few ones offered in Europe but still no one selling a more or less complete set. However, I was able to find a few sites that give an overview of the Prior fishies:
http://www.mokarex.fr/priorfish.html
http://planete-figurines.pagesperso-orange.fr/prior-poissons.htm
http://figurines-publicitaires-et-kinder-surprise.fr/Images/Prior-poissons.html
(Disclaimer: I have to disagree with some of the ids, especially "Guppy" for Betta splendens or the "Botia" id for the one you identified as "Hoplo cat" - Hoplosternum littorale fits much better than a loach).
Apparently these figures have been around for a while, one site says they were released in 1971. :o

stargatedalek

I have this beta on the center right:
http://www.mokarex.fr/prior/aquariumNew.jpg
in an alternate colour, it's translucent plastic with a yellow body and red fins.

bmathison1972

I'll have to find a way to get the crab :)

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on January 26, 2016, 01:41:51 PM
Quote from: sbell on January 25, 2016, 04:33:31 PM
Phew, I think the problem is that I will most likely not have too much to trade at the moment. :-\ The most interesting one is the Electric Catfish, but there are many other good ones, too. I have been able to find a few ones offered in Europe but still no one selling a more or less complete set. However, I was able to find a few sites that give an overview of the Prior fishies:
http://www.mokarex.fr/priorfish.html
http://planete-figurines.pagesperso-orange.fr/prior-poissons.htm
http://figurines-publicitaires-et-kinder-surprise.fr/Images/Prior-poissons.html
(Disclaimer: I have to disagree with some of the ids, especially "Guppy" for Betta splendens or the "Botia" id for the one you identified as "Hoplo cat" - Hoplosternum littorale fits much better than a loach).
Apparently these figures have been around for a while, one site says they were released in 1971. :o

I got mine through a fellow member of the STS forum in France. There are a lot of them, but yes, the electric cat was a big one for me (getting two was even better!). The archer fish were another good one!

And yeah, the ID's are not always great--which is why I need to try and figure out some--like the weird grey plastic one (maybe a greeneye, but the dorsal fins aren't right).

Some of these have been re-issued as plastic toys here in North America, but they aren't quite as detailed.

bmathison1972

I got a pack of vintage figures from the 1960s. There are 24 figures, 19 of which are arthropods. They are small (roughly 20 mm on average), flat, and made of a relatively good quality hard brown plastic. Detail is actually quite nice!
Many of these were probably influenced by the 'Creepy Crawly Thingmaker' set that was popular at the time.

First the non-insects:
TOP to BOTTOM, LEFT to RIGHT:
1) 3 spiders and a pseudoscorpion
2) scorpion, centipede
3) crayfish (lobster?), crab, and a couple crustaceans I am not entirely sure of, possible a fairy shrimp and a larval crab (megalopa stage)

Next, the insects:
TOP to BOTTOM, LEFT to RIGHT:
1) 2 leaf beetles (one looking like Sagra sp.) and 2 stag beetles
2) sliverfish (!), cricket, earwig, and water boatman (notonectid!!!!!); the silverfish and notonectid are my first!
3) caterpillar

lastly there was an octopus, frog, lizard, alligator, and turtle.

I had to buy multiple sheets so if anyone is interested I have several complete sets. For future trades, they may be thrown in as freebies ;-)

I might also paint a set to be more realistically colored!

bmathison1972

got some of Jetoar's creations today. His Aegirocassis benmoulai and the scarce swallowtail were trades. I commissioned him to make the royal moth to be a companion to my larva (see Lepidoptera thread) and a bed bug! There is a second bed bug that will be given to a colleague.

Jetoar

I am really happy that you have them finally and safe  ^-^.

stemturtle

This is a recent acquisition from eBay of a figure that is several years old.
The giant arachnid from the TV series Primeval is not a Carboniferous spider, rather it's a solifugid.

Solifugid by Character Options Ltd., length of body about 1.75 inches or 4.5 cm.

Close-up of chelicerae, a pair of large, non-venomous pinchers that act as jaws.

I customized the figure to more closely resemble the Mojave Desert solpugid, yellow-brown in color.

Pale windscorpion, Eremobates pallipes, by Character Options Ltd. / customized, about 3 X life scale.

stargatedalek

That's a cool idea, I might have to do that with mine too!

bmathison1972

nice repaint. I have the Primeval 'giant scorpion' which is actually a giant whipscorpion, althoutht has features of both a vinageroon and a tailless whipscorpion!