News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Felids

Started by brontodocus, December 29, 2012, 05:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ana

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 11, 2013, 09:47:13 AM
:D Wonderful figure and great photos!

This is the best Lioness on the market and Papo's male counterpart cannot compete at all with its quality.
But in addition to this I must say that there is still no male lion figure by any company that I like. Somehow making an accurate one seems to be a problem for the designers.

Yes, I feel similar way. Papo lionesses are like miracles, wonderfully realistic but none of modern toy companies made a decent "husband" for them somehow. Maybe next edition of Papo male lion will look as great as females? I hope so :) From male lions  I own only current Schleich and very old Tipple Topple lion, both of them are cute and I like them but are not very realistic...

brontodocus

Quote from: Ana on February 07, 2013, 10:02:18 PM
Yes, I feel similar way. Papo lionesses are like miracles, wonderfully realistic but none of modern toy companies made a decent "husband" for them somehow. Maybe next edition of Papo male lion will look as great as females? I hope so :) From male lions  I own only current Schleich and very old Tipple Topple lion, both of them are cute and I like them but are not very realistic...
Thanks, Ana! :) And I second that - if I come across a male Lion figure as good as the Papo female, I'd buy it on the spot! 8)

brontodocus

The only 2013 release of Safari Ltd's Wildlife Wonders series is the Cheetah, Acinonyx jubatus (Schreber, 1775). Snout-vent length is approx. 143 mm and tail length approx. 90 mm, shoulder height is 93 mm, so the scale is approx. 1:7 - 1:10. The figure differs from previous Wildlife Wonders figures in that it is apparently the first of them which is not hollow and that is cast in a single piece. While the straight, striding pose may not be too inspiring, the details are as good as on any other Wildlife Wonders figure. Especially the head is accurately small which may look odd at first sight but indeed cheetahs have comparatively tiny heads. I've been using different backgrounds and bases here and they greatly affect how the figure's colours appear. So this may be a good example for why sometimes a figure in a walk-around may appear different from the one you have in your collection. The last photo is a size comparison with the Wildlife Wonders Lion which is about 1:10 - 1:11 scale.
A link to the Wildlife Wonders Cheetah at Safari Ltd is here: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/wildlife-wonders%E2%84%A2-cheetah

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

From my point of view, this figure and Papo cheeta are the best figures of this animal. Thanks for sharing  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

AnimalToyForum

Wonderful. Your photography skills but many of us to shame!  :-[

brontodocus

Many thanks, Jetoar & Adam! :) Oh, Jetoar, you just remind me of... why do I constantly forget ordering the Papo Cheetah? I mean, I already planned to get that one, too. Seems we get so many new releases of new figures that I simply get too excited and then forget about ordering previous figures, too... :-[ ;D
Quote from: animaltoyforum on July 14, 2013, 06:49:27 PM
*blushes* :-[ ...but I really think the quality of the walk-arounds of all contributors is generally very high and as I mentioned elsewhere I enjoy the different approaches and different handwritings in photography we always see in this section. :)

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on July 16, 2013, 10:55:35 PM
Many thanks, Jetoar & Adam! :) Oh, Jetoar, you just remind me of... why do I constantly forget ordering the Papo Cheetah? I mean, I already planned to get that one, too. Seems we get so many new releases of new figures that I simply get too excited and then forget about ordering previous figures, too... :-[ ;D
Quote from: animaltoyforum on July 14, 2013, 06:49:27 PM
*blushes* :-[ ...but I really think the quality of the walk-arounds of all contributors is generally very high and as I mentioned elsewhere I enjoy the different approaches and different handwritings in photography we always see in this section. :)

Yes, I think the same that you friend. last week I bought the carnegie Giaganotosaurus and other old figures that have same years.

Takama

Another new addition, this time its a Lynx

Does any one know what species it represents?

Jetoar

Nice figure, I am finding Iberian Lynx of Mojö  :P. I think that it maybe a Eurasian Lynx (Lynx lynx) but I not sure  ^-^.

Takama

I was at my Wal-Mart today, and I found a lovely lioness. I bought it because I think the new one is bad. The face was not right.

The old one looks a lot better to me.

Jetoar

I think the same that you friend, the old figure is better. I bought the pack of lions 4 years ago  ^-^.

Fukuiraptor

Takama, do you have a pic showing both versions together?  Thanks :D

Quote from: Takama and Rex on January 18, 2014, 12:31:33 AM
I was at my Wal-Mart today, and I found a lovely lioness. I bought it because I think the new one is bad. The face was not right.

The old one looks a lot better to me.

Takama

Sorry I don't have the new one, and I don't have any plans on getting it.

brontodocus

Looks great! :) But I'd highly recommend the Papo Lioness, still one of the best big cat figures.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Papo Wild Animals 50046 Cougar, Puma concolor (Linnaeus, 1771). The figure was released in 2007 and has just been discontinued so it is not in the 2014 catalogue anymore. Quite a small figure, its shoulder height is 37 mm and snout-vent length approx. 65 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:16 and 1:24. The human figure (Minimen Andreas Köpke) is 1:20 scale.
Although locally extinct in many areas the species still has the widest geographical range of any New World land mammal and IUCN considers it "Least Concern"

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

bmathison1972

what a goofy looking animal. Safari won this contest :)

brontodocus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 04, 2014, 04:11:50 PM
what a goofy looking animal. Safari won this contest :)
Hehe, the facial expression is a bit comical, indeed. ;D The sprawling forelegs look a little odd, too. Actually, I wanted to order the Safari Ltd cougar instead but it was out of stock at the shop where I ordered my last batch of figures. Maybe next time, it's on my list.

Jetoar

Cool figure friend  ^-^. Papo do the bets figure of felines usually, but this is one exception, I think that they could do a better face detail, but it is not bad figure  ^-^.

KeU

How does the Safari Puma scale with the PAPO Puma?
I have the PAPO one and am not really pleased with the size and sculpt.

brontodocus

Quote from: KeU on April 23, 2014, 02:25:57 PM
How does the Safari Puma scale with the PAPO Puma?
I have the PAPO one and am not really pleased with the size and sculpt.
Unfortunately, I don't have the Safari NAW figure (yet) but given the measurements provided by Safari it would be a good deal larger at 65 mm height (versus 37 mm shoulder hight for the Papo figure).