News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Felids

Started by brontodocus, December 29, 2012, 05:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeU

Looks fantastic. Can't wait to get it for myself.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Rrrrooooaaaarrrr! ;D

This is a walk-around of the new 2014 Papo Wild Animals (or "Wild Animal Kingdom" as Papo names the line in their current catalogue) Roaring Lion, Panthera leo (Linnaeus, 1758). The figure is as highly detailed as Papo big cats usually are - although the paint job of the final product is not quite as breathtaking as Papo's catalogue photo shows. The lower jaw is an inserted piece and although I understand that casting may have been difficult otherwise there are plenty of other open-mouthed big cat figures without such a conspicuous seam at the corner of the mouth. On the other hand, the mane is exceptionally nicely done and appears to be affected by wind which makes the lion look especially good when viewed from the front. Snout-vent length is approx. 102 mm and shoulder height is approx. 60 mm (it can only be estimated because the mane is in the way) so the scale is between approx. 1:17 and 1:20. It is just very slightly smaller than the 2006 Male Lion (and also a little lighter at 124 vs. 134 grams) and has a significantly shorter snout than the latter. I've included a few comparison shots with the abovementioned 2006 Male Lion and the Lioness. Although there may be some 32,000 individuals remaining in the wild the populations are scattered and since there has been an estimated decrease of approx. 30% over the last two decades, IUCN lists the Lion as "Vulnerable". The human figure is approx. 1:19 scale.

So my impression about the new roaring lion - it's definitely a figure not to miss, but the perfect male lion toy figure still has to be released (with the 2006 version by Papo possibly still coming closest).

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

New lion is amazing  :o. I will hope to see it in a store one day  ^-^.

AnimalToyForum

Really amazing. The bulging muscles, the protruding veins, such fine details!

MartinH

brontodocus

Many thanks, Jetoar, Adam, and Martin! :) I almost feared I was being too critical with the figure. :-[

widukind

A interesting lion figurine!! Congrats :)

loru1588

Thanks! I also did a cub to go with the adult Cheetah

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd Wild Safari North American Wildlife 2918-29 Mountain Lion (or Cougar or Puma), Puma concolor (Linnaeus, 1771). A good deal larger than Papo's retired version, its shoulder height is 55 mm and snout-vent length approx. 103 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:11 and 1:16. The human figure (South American Father from Miniland "Los Amigos del Mundo") is approx. 1:13 - 1:14 scale.
Although the species is locally extinct in many areas it still has the widest geographical range of any New World land mammal and IUCN considers it "Least Concern".
Here is a link to the NAW Mountain Lion at Safari Ltd's website: https://www.safariltd.com/products/view/wild-safari-north-american-wildlife-mountain-lion-figurines-291829

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Dragonwolf

Yeah, I just got mine today. The sculpt was very well done. So are the details. Just wished the paint apps were like in the stock photos. But that's asking too much, I guess.  ;)

Jetoar

Ana

Hi friends!
I decided to make walk around of my recent addition: Iriomote cat (Prionailurus bengalensis iriomotensis) made by Kaiyodo in 2014.
The figure is made of typical Kaiyodo hard and quite brittle plastic (compared to let's say Schleich plastic). As often with Kaiyodo it is puzzle figure so it comes in parts which need to be assembled at home. Though the lines are not very visible when it's done. The dimensions are: L 62mm ; H 36 millimetres; W 17 mm. So scale is around 1:11 - 1:12 (adult Iriomote cat is about 60 cm long excluding tail) 

More info about Iriomote cats can be found on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iriomote_cat

Comparison with other Kaiyodo Iriomote cat, the one from Natural Monuments of Japan.

And comparison with Papo tigress.

I must say I really like this figure, it has lovely detail and pose and I think it's very accurate. Also I love the species choice. I wish Kaiyodo would produce whole line of small wild cats from many places around the world.

postsaurischian

:D Absolutely cute & beautiful cat!
I love the colours, pose and gesture.
I'm glad to have one too ^-^.

bmathison1972

I bet it's looking up to keep a watchful eye on the hawk that came in the same set  ;D

Ana

Thank you for so nice comments! I'm glad you like this cat as much as I do :D
I didn't get the hawk though. I will look for it :)

Ana

It's very beautiful!! Thank you for great photos!! :D
And, yes I must get it too :D

brontodocus

That's a very fine and intricately detailed figure. :) I'm happy to have one, too (I bought the entire set) and it's my first representation of an Iriomote Cat since I only have very few NMoJ figures.

OkapiBoy

Lovely little figure. I had it once, but now I seem to have lost it :(

Ana

Thank you for very nice comments Okapi Boy and Brontodocus :D