Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Iguanian Lizards: Agamids, Chameleons, Iguanids, Swifts, Curly-tails, and kin

Started by Varanus, December 24, 2012, 02:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

Lovely figure, I only have of Kaiyodo Dinotales figures but I have thougt sometimes to buy a precious figures like this, overall some birds  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

How much was it? I've seen those--and the others in teh set--for what I consider way too mujch for me (I have a list of about 7 various Kaiyodo bottlecap figures that I would like to get my hands on, but they almost never seem to show up--the iguana has always been a maybe if the price wasn't so high!).

postsaurischian

Quote from: sbell on February 14, 2014, 01:30:31 AM
How much was it? I've seen those--and the others in teh set--for what I consider way too mujch for me (I have a list of about 7 various Kaiyodo bottlecap figures that I would like to get my hands on, but they almost never seem to show up--the iguana has always been a maybe if the price wasn't so high!).

It is too expensive on eBay. I got it for Yen 1.000 on Jauce. Fortunately the seller had some other figures I liked (e.g. the Kaiyodo Sapporo Crane for Yen 300 ;D) to justify the fee costs :P.

sbell

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 14, 2014, 09:39:37 AM
Quote from: sbell on February 14, 2014, 01:30:31 AM

It is too expensive on eBay. I got it for Yen 1.000 on Jauce. Fortunately the seller had some other figures I liked (e.g. the Kaiyodo Sapporo Crane for Yen 300 ;D) to justify the fee costs :P.

That's not too bad then--but the Jauce fees are still the worst part of the service, especially for lower priced items; the fees wind up costing more than the purchases!

postsaurischian

Quote from: sbell on February 14, 2014, 02:00:31 PM
That's not too bad then--but the Jauce fees are still the worst part of the service, especially for lower priced items; the fees wind up costing more than the purchases!

Yes, that can happen :(.
I'm only using Jauce for things that I urgently want and can't find anywhere else (such as the Sapporo crane).

sbell

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 14, 2014, 08:42:21 PM
Quote from: sbell on February 14, 2014, 02:00:31 PM

Yes, that can happen :(.
I'm only using Jauce for things that I urgently want and can't find anywhere else (such as the Sapporo crane).

I haven't been for a while now--I usually get frustrated looking for the few figures on my wants list. Especially since sellers seem to have stopped using the easier categories to look for them, instead using the catch-all figures category

widukind

postsaurischian

Kaiyodo CapsuleQ series 7 - QMN 051    Japalura polygonata - Okinawa tree lizard        >> walk-around

Jetoar

brontodocus

While this is not the only figure representing this species, I was always keen on getting the Science and Nature Thorny Devil. Of course, there are quite a few other figures representing this species on the market (I remember versions by Yujin/Play Visions, Bullyland - a normal and a huge but somewhat inaccurate soft play version, FameMaster/4D Master, and even one by Playmobil). Focussing on Australian animals, Science & Nature naturally had to make their own version representing this popular, small agamid, too. So here is a walk-around of the Science and Nature Animals of Australia (Large Replicas) 78002 Thorny Devil, Moloch horridus Gray, 1841. Snout-vent length is 55 mm and total length 107 mm (almost exactly as long as the version by Yujin/Play Visions, only with a much wider belly), so the scale is between approx. 1:1.5 - 1:2. DIstributed in scrubland and desert areas of western and central Australia, this little reptile almost exclusively feeds on ants and may consume a few thousands of them per day. So whether the scientific genus name "Moloch" (referring to an ancient, gruesome deity of Phoenicians and Canaanites) is appropriate or not is largely depending on whether you are an ant or a human. Many agamids have convergently evolved, New World counterparts (which were formerly all united in the family Iguanidae) and the Thorny Devil is quite reminiscent of the North American Horned Lizards (often misleadingly called "Horned Toads") of the genus Phrynosoma which share a similar body shape with modified, horn-like scales, the preference for arid habitats, and a diet consisting primarily of ants. So far, the conservation status of Moloch horridus has not been evaluated by IUCN.

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.

stargatedalek

I really need to get myself one of these, the low slung pose with one foot reaching forward contrasts the more common upright posture, so it would be nice to have one in a calmer stance.

Very nice! I absolutely love these little lizards, especially how the thorns collect water. Even with so many made its very hard to actually find figures of this adorable little lizard. Sadly I only own the Playmobil version (and an unidentifiable dollarstore version). Obviously its not perfect and its paint app leaves much to be desired, but overall I was surprised with how well the Playmobil version stacks up (its about half the size of this one).

brontodocus

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 01, 2015, 06:11:46 PM
I really need to get myself one of these, the low slung pose with one foot reaching forward contrasts the more common upright posture, so it would be nice to have one in a calmer stance.

Very nice! I absolutely love these little lizards, especially how the thorns collect water. Even with so many made its very hard to actually find figures of this adorable little lizard. Sadly I only own the Playmobil version (and an unidentifiable dollarstore version). Obviously its not perfect and its paint app leaves much to be desired, but overall I was surprised with how well the Playmobil version stacks up (its about half the size of this one).
Thanks, stargatedalek! :) Is the Playmobil version really smaller? The one I mean is from a retired set, I've never seen the figure unboxed but judging from the box photos compared to the Playmobil figures it seemed ridiculously huge: http://www.playmobil.de/Schatztempel-mit-Waechtern/4842-A.html?cgid=2009&showSpareParts=false#cgid=2009&start=37. I would have expected that the Playmobil Thorny Devil is actually larger than the Science and Nature figure.

stargatedalek

Quote from: brontodocus on February 01, 2015, 07:11:10 PMThanks, stargatedalek! :) Is the Playmobil version really smaller? The one I mean is from a retired set, I've never seen the figure unboxed but judging from the box photos compared to the Playmobil figures it seemed ridiculously huge: http://www.playmobil.de/Schatztempel-mit-Waechtern/4842-A.html?cgid=2009&showSpareParts=false#cgid=2009&start=37. I would have expected that the Playmobil Thorny Devil is actually larger than the Science and Nature figure.
That photo is definitely deceptive, its actually about 1/3rd as tall as the Playmobil humans. I don't have any of my Playmobil on hand (used to collect it years ago) so I don't have it to take measurements of, but I should probably get it out again.

Jetoar

sbell

I actually have both figures in the house--the Science&Nature and the Playmobil. And here, to compare:

They are similar in size, although obviously the S&N is better.

stargatedalek

Man, I really did get the measurements confused, that was certainly my bad. Agreed, the S&N is superior in every way.

brontodocus

Thanks for the comparison photo, Sean! :)
Quote from: stargatedalek on February 04, 2015, 04:40:53 AM
Man, I really did get the measurements confused, that was certainly my bad. Agreed, the S&N is superior in every way.
But the photo revealed that the Playmobil figure is indeed a lot smaller than I thought.  :) While it can't compete with the Science and Nature figure, I don't think it's all that bad. Actually I've been thinking for quite some time if we shouldn't have a thread for Playmobil animals, some years ago I bought about 80 of them for my kids (although they hardly ever play with them). And I can imagine that other members have Playmobil animals, too. While the typical Playmobil style doesn't allow too much realism I do like some of their animal figures.

stargatedalek

That sounds like a great idea! I have several frankly immense bins of Playmobil in my basement, and I focused exclusively on the animals so there's a lot of them.
I'll go make a thread for that now so we don't clog this one up further ;)

brontodocus

Yes, great idea, staregatedalek! :) It may take me some time before I can take photographs so it's good to see there are others who can contribute, too.