Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Iguanian Lizards: Agamids, Chameleons, Iguanids, Swifts, Curly-tails, and kin

Started by Varanus, December 24, 2012, 02:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ana

Beautiful Iguanian lizards everyone! Congrats!! :D

I have for example these 3, all from the same set by Bandai :)

Bandai Galapagos Marine Iguana

Marine Iguana, swimming pose

Galapagos Land iguana, (also from Bandai)  :)

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Ana

Quote from: Jetoar on February 01, 2013, 03:30:19 PM
Wonderful iguanas, my favoite is the third  ^-^.

Thank You! Yes, I think the third one is the nicest too, it looks very "dragon like" to me  :))

Varanus

It has recently come to my attention (via ebay) that there is another version of this species by AAA, it looks larger and has its head and upper body turned to the left.  Its coloration is like this one.  I can't refind the image though. :-\

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd. Incredible Creatures 2013 Veiled Chameleon "Baby", Chamaeleo calyptratus Duméril & Duméril, 1851. It's better regarded as a juvenile or subadult specimen. Snout-vent length is approx. 110 mm and total length (if the tail was uncoiled) approx. 240 mm. So the figure would fit into the size range of a (smaller) mature female and could be easily repainted to look like a female. The head's casque is also stronger developed than in a baby (and hatchlings would be just between 55 and 75 mm including tail). But unlike its male adult counterpart this time the arrangement of digits on the forefeet is correct, three fingers point inward and two outward. The scales of the "baby" are also better detailed.
Here's the figure at Safari Ltd.: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/veiled-chameleon-baby

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

From my point of view the most realistic figure of this chamaleon that I have see, congrats as always  ^-^!.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Varanus on February 03, 2013, 04:08:01 AM
It has recently come to my attention (via ebay) that there is another version of this species by AAA, it looks larger and has its head and upper body turned to the left.  Its coloration is like this one.  I can't refind the image though. :-\
I saw that too. I didn't bid though.

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

tyrantqueen

I like this model a lot, but the thing that really bothers me is the overusing of a texture stamp. In fact, it looks to be the very same texture stamp Wild Safari use on their dinosaurs (Acrocanthosaurus, Ceratosaurus).
Texture stamps are a personal dislike of mine, I feel like they give the model a very flat, two dimensional feel. I would have liked the sculptor to have sculpted the scales by hand instead.

Just my opinion :-\

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

Thanks, Jetoar & tyrantqueen! :) Yes, apparently a texture stamp was used. It's more economical but of course never as impressive as individually sculpted scales. And it probably depends on what stamp is used (and how)... I think the WS Dinos Acrocanthosaurus is most problematic in this case. I believe a stamp should have some irregularities, e.g. slightly different size of scales and not all the scales arranged in a strictly rectangular pattern.

Kikimalou

Quote from: brontodocus on January 17, 2013, 10:38:16 PM
Congrats, Ana! :) I got quite a number of the other Yujin lizards but this one is my favourite of them all! :)

This one is also my favorite of the set, it is so "alive". It is also a "true" YUJIN reptile, some of them were made from PV molds but not this one I think.

Thank you for the pics and congratulation for your good taste  ;)

Ana

Quote from: Kikimalou on February 15, 2013, 05:34:31 PM
Quote from: brontodocus on January 17, 2013, 10:38:16 PM
Congrats, Ana! :) I got quite a number of the other Yujin lizards but this one is my favourite of them all! :)

This one is also my favorite of the set, it is so "alive". It is also a "true" YUJIN reptile, some of them were made from PV molds but not this one I think.

Thank you for the pics and congratulation for your good taste  ;)

Christophe, big THANK YOU I have this Yujin figure only thanks to You, it was amazing present!  :))

brontodocus

Varanus

This is a review of the alternate version of AAA's "Lizard", with represents a species in the genus Calotes.  Like most AAA reptiles, the figure is life-sized and cast from a real taxidermy specimen.  It is a little over 30 cm in total length.
The striped coloration of this figure is also seen in some version 1 figures.  I'm unaware if the naturalistic color scheme of some version 1 figures is also available in this version 2 figure.

To see version 1 of this figure, and for some discussion on its species identity, go here:
http://www.animaltoyforum.com/index.php/topic,235.0.html

And now a comparison between versions 1 and 2.

Apart from the position of the head and back left foot, the two are nearly identical.  I wonder if they were actually cast from the same specimen that was just repositioned for version 2? ???

Jetoar

Cool review friend. I see the same situation that brown gecko  ^-^.

stemturtle

Green iguana (Play Visions), Iguana iguana, 2 3/4 inches or 7 cm.

This rare figure was part of a 1998 Play Visions set of South American fauna, listed by our friends at STS.
Size is smaller than for the 1998 PV set of 8 lizards, which average 3 ½ inches or 9 cm.

This figure was succeeded by the Fiji banded iguana, Brachylophus fasciatus,
from Yujin in 2002, same mold, but Yujin used a more flexible plastic than PV.
The banded iguana lacks the ventral stripes, and has tighter curvature of the tail. 

Green iguana (PV), Coin for scale, Fiji banded iguana (Yujin)
Diameter of the quarter dollar coin is 15/16 inch or 2.4 cm.

Jetoar

brontodocus

Excellent! :) I've never seen the PV version but I do have the Yujin Fiji Banded Iguana.

postsaurischian

^-^  Kaiyodo ~ Capsule Aquarium 6 No.10  Iguana iguana - Green Iguana (yellow version)

brontodocus

Finally a really good Green Iguana figure! :) So there's a green version, too?

postsaurischian

Yes, it's No.09 of the set, but the seller I got it from only had the yellow version.