News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Pigs on Parade

Started by OkapiBoy, December 19, 2012, 07:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkapiBoy

Pigs on parade
I only have warthogs and Collecta's red river hog, and was going to devote a thread just for them, but I figured some of you collect other pig figures, both domestic and wild. So, this is now a general thread devoted to pigs, both wild and domestic. Since I don’t have other pigs, I will start of by showing my warthog collection.
I do hope that more wild pigs will be made as figures in the future, such as babirusa and warty pigs.

[

copper

ryukyu wild boar  (takara, chocoq, animatales series 6, kaiyodo)

göttingen mini pig  (takara, chocoq, animatales pet series 5, kaiyodo)

wild boar piglet  (furuta, choco eggs classics) this version has better paintjob than the original

pot bellied pig (schleich 1998-2000)
i'm going to repaint this one

Battatitan

Hahaha I love the pot-belly's beaming face! I have to admit, I do like that figure...  ^-^

Nice swine everyone  :D I'll try and upload some of my own pigs some time....  :-\

brontodocus

They are all so lovely, congrats, copper! 8) The Pot-bellied Pig is my favourite of them, too. ^-^

Jetoar

Quote from: Battatitan on January 23, 2013, 05:28:05 PM
Hahaha I love the pot-belly's beaming face! I have to admit, I do like that figure...  ^-^

Nice swine everyone  :D I'll try and upload some of my own pigs some time....  :-\

Yes, his face is the best  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

copper

here's the bullyland vietnamese pot-bellied pig, i'm going to repaint this too : )

OkapiBoy

skysthelimit

A few of mine...

brontodocus

Very nice ones, Robert! :) Too bad I never bought the WS Warthog... :'(

copper

brontodocus

There are plenty of figures representing this species by major companies but I never found any that I've been 100% satisfied with. Fur detail was often too crude for my taste (e.g. Bullyland) or the finish turned out glossy (e.g. Papo) so actually this is the first representative in my collection. So here is a walk-around of the Safari Ltd Wild Safari Wildlife (Wild) Boar, Sus scrofa Linnaeus, 1758; item No. 2242-29. The Wild Boar has one of the most extensive geographical ranges of any artiodactyl and its native distribution reaches from Morocco and Portugal to Russian Far East, Japan, and Indonesia. It has also been introduced in e.g. southern U.S.A., Australia, and New Guinea. While the species became rare due to overhunting in historical times and even went locally extinct (e.g. in Britain), most populations recovered from the middle of the 20th century onwards. Originally inhabiting deciduous and mixed forests, the species is highly adaptable and can sometimes do surprisingly well in areas densely populated by humans: There is an estimated population of approx. 10.000 individuals in and around Berlin and specimens may enter gardens, parks, and are sometimes even seen in the streets. The Wild Boar has developed several subspecies within its extensive geographical range. While in Central Europe adult specimens measure approx. 1.3 to 1.8 m long (snout-vent length) and 0.7 to 0.8 m high (shoulder height), some record males in Eastern Europe (e.g. Caucasus and Carpathian Mountains) and Russian Far East (Ussuriland) have been reported to be much larger at 1.1 - 1.25 m shoulder height and up to 350 Kg body weight, rivaling or even exceeding the Giant Forest Hog, Hylochoerus meinertzhageni, as the largest extant suid species. Since it has such an extensive geographical range and is usually quite abundant, IUCN lists the Wild Boar as "Least Concern".

Snout-vent length of this figure is 90 mm and shoulder height 53.5 mm, so the scale would be approx. 1:13 to 1:15 for an average specimen from central Europe and up to 1:23 for an exceptional giant specimen (see above). Human figures are approx. 1:13 - 1:14 scale (South American Father from Miniland "Los Amigos del Mundo", the comparison photo shows the boar representing an average-sized specimen of 0.7 to 0.75 m shoulder height) and 1:20 (Minimen Andreas Köpke, here the boar figure would represent a giant specimen of 1.07 m shoulder height from Eastern Europe or Ussuriland), respectively. here is a link to Safari Ltd's Wild Boar at their website: https://safariltd.com/products/view/wild-safari-wildlife-boar-figurines-224229

Edit 2017-02-04: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Really beautiful replica with a nice hair sculpt  ;)
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Quote from: Jetoar on February 28, 2015, 12:15:56 PM
Really beautiful replica with a nice hair sculpt  ;)
Thanks, Jetoar! :) Yes, the fur texture was one of the main reasons why I needed to get this figure.

OkapiBoy

AcroSauroTaurus

My pigs. (and one entelodont)

Figures:
CollectA Daeodon
Schleich Warthog boar
China small Warthog (needs identification)
Breyer Domestic Piglet sitting
CollectA Babirusa
Schleich Piglet
China Wild Boar (needs ID'd)
I am the Dinosaur King!

BlueKrono

My domestics ungulates, including pigs:
I like turtles.

brontodocus

Takama

My first figure of 2018

Also my first figure of this animal

AnimalToyForum

This one is in our 2018 banner. Nice photos, and good to see you around again!  :)

bmathison1972

Thanks for this walkaround, Takama! While I am excited for this figure (and the pygmy hippo) by Safari, I have seen side-by-side comparisons of the two species as made by Safari and CollectA and I think CollectA's are a little better (or, I should say they appeal to me more for some reason). Still, I am definitely a 'Safari guy' and would definitely get this if I was a generalist.