News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

New World Monkeys - Platyrrhini

Started by Takama, October 11, 2013, 02:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Just in.  A monkey That my owner found to be very cute. And he got it for very cheap too

Jetoar

Wonderful golden orange  ^-^. I like it and thaks for sharing  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

It's an amazing figure. :) And, yes, the fur even has a metallic shine.

stemturtle

New World Monkeys - Platyrrhini

Primates of the parvodrer Platyrrhini (flat-nosed) are classified in 5 families.
This thread does not exhibit a complete collection. The owl monkey, family Aotidae, is not available as a toy figure.
We sample species for the other 4 families.

Group shot of Platyrrhini to show size relative to the Schleich guy

Family Callitrichidae
Golden lion tamarin, Leontopithecus rosalia, by Safari Ltd., Monkeys and Apes Toob
Common marmoset, Callithrix jacchus, by Nayab
Edit: lacks the field marks for the common marmoset.

Family Cebidae
Common squirrel monkey, Samimiri sciureus, by Schleich
White-headed capuchin, Cebus capucinus, by K&M, Rainforest Tube
Blond capuchin, Sapajus flavius, by Safari Ltd., Monkeys and Apes Toob
Black capuchin, Sapajus nigritus, by Nayab

Family Pitheciidae
Bald uakari, Cacajao calvus, by Nayab
Masked titi,* Callicebus personatus, by Safari Ltd, Monkeys and Apes Toob
    *pronounced tea-tea
EDIT: @bmathison1972 corrected this ID to the red-tailed monkey Cercopithecus ascanius,
      which moves it to family Cercopithecidae, an old-world monkey.

Family Atelidae
Brown howler, Alouatta fusca, by Play Visions, Manu Amazon Set
Venezuelan red howler, Alouatta seniculus, by Trendmasters, Amazon Predators
Colombian wooly monkey, Lagothrix lugens, by Safari Ltd., Monkeys and Apes Toob
Geoffroy's spider monkey, Ateles geoffroyi, by Safari Ltd., Monkeys and Apes Toob
Red-faced black spider monkey, Ateles paniscus, by Safari Ltd., Wild Safari Wildlife

Photos of additional examples are welcome, especially the rare white-faced saki by Play Visions.

sauroid

excellent NW monkey figures collection

stemturtle

The Yucatan black howler by Wild Safari for 2017 was released early.

Yucatan black howler, Alouatta pigra (Safari), family Atelidae
EDIT: Species ID is speculative. Safari Ltd. identified the howler by genus only.

Black howler total length is about 4.25 in. or 10.8 cm.
shown with the Venezuelan red howler and the brown howler.

Jetoar

A really good work of Safari as always  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

widukind

Quote from: stemturtle on December 22, 2016, 06:31:58 PM
The Black Howler by Wild Safari for 2017 was released early.

Black Howler, Alouatta caraya (Safari), family Atelidae
Only the males are black, while females and juveniles are white or beige.

Black howler total length is about 4.25 in. or 10.8 cm.
shown with the Venezuelan red howler and the brown howler.

What material is the Trendmaster howler?

stemturtle

Widukind, the plastic for the Trendmasters howler is slightly softer than that used for the Safari figures.

Card that came with the howler.

Our forum has a thread for Trendmasters .

widukind

Quote from: stemturtle on January 02, 2017, 10:38:53 PM
Widukind, the plastic for the Trendmasters howler is slightly softer than that used for the Safari figures.

Thank you, now i will hunt that figurine :)

brontodocus

This is a photographic reference of the Safari Ltd Incredible Creatures (Common) Squirrel Monkey, Saimiri sciureus (Linnaeus, 1758); item No. 2698-29, new for 2017. Snout-vent length is approx. 107 and tail length approx. 145 mm so the scale is approx. 1:2.5 - 1:3 - not 1:2 as stamped on the figure. But still, typically for the Incredible Creatures series, this is a considerably larger than normal figure. The sculpt shows a very nice and sharp texturing with a convincing paint job to match. The Common Squirrel Monkey is still widely distributed in the northern Amazon and IUCN considers its conservation status "Least Concern".

bmathison1972

stemturtle

Howler monkey, Alouatta sp. (K&M Record Breakers Adventure Tube)

The species of howler is not identified by K&M. This figure, which is hard to find, turned up in an animal lot on eBay.
The red howler has the loudest call of any new world animal, with 6 species as possible candidates for the ID.

Venezuelan red howler (Trendmasters) compared to the K&M howler.

brontodocus

Wow, I think I haven't seen this K&M howler monkey before! Thanks for showing, stemturtle! :)

Animalibus

Quote from: widukind on January 04, 2017, 05:27:23 PM

Hi guys ! Considering that the miniature corresponds to a male, only two species of Alouatta have totally black males: A. pigra and A. caraya. Alouatta seniculus has a male and female with a reddish-brown coat. I think it is more likely to be A. pigra from Central America than A. caraya from South America since Safari Ltd has already portrayed other animals from Central America.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Animalibus on September 17, 2018, 11:47:11 PM
Quote from: widukind on January 04, 2017, 05:27:23 PM

Hi guys ! Considering that the miniature corresponds to a male, only two species of Alouatta have totally black males: A. pigra and A. caraya. Alouatta seniculus has a male and female with a reddish-brown coat. I think it is more likely to be A. pigra from Central America than A. caraya from South America since Safari Ltd has already portrayed other animals from Central America.

One must understand, with Trendmasters they often assign specific names to relatively generic figures. I would not read to much into the naming vs. the morphology. Personally, unless it's a blatant error, I usually side with what the manufacturer intended.

stemturtle

New species from the Safari Primates Toob. One word: darling.

Red-handed tamarin, Saguinus midas (Safari), 2.5 inches or 6.3 cm.

Emperor tamarin, Saguinus imperator (Safari), 1.75 inches or 4.5 cm.

Common marmoset, Callithrix jaccus (Safari), 2.0 inches or 5.0 cm.
     Common name is marked on figure; replica by Nayab is not marked.

bmathison1972

Thank you for adding these images of these new taxa. The species assortment is quite different from their older Monkeys and Apes TOOB!!!

Beetle guy

Nice additions @stemturtle, especialy the red-handed tamarin!
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

@stemturtle I just for the K&M capuchin. Did you paint the white on the sides of the face and chest and shoulders area? Mine is all black except for the actual bare part of the face. I normally don't alter figures, but I think a quick white coat might do the trick.