News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Deep-sea fish

Started by brontodocus, December 11, 2012, 12:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

So this thread is for figures of those often monstrous (albeit mostly very small) fishes that inhabit the world's largest desert - the aphotic zones of the oceans.

Post yours, too and scare other members! >:D

This means it's more a grouping of figures of animals adapted to greater depths than a taxonomical group, of course. Many of these are only very distantly related.

There are only a few extant Holocephali figures made, but there are at least these ones (aren't there more than those?):

Chimaera phantasma Jordan & Snyder, 1900; Silver Chimera.
Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey part 2 model No. 09. Length 64 mm, scale approx. 1:9 - 1:15.
Colorata Nature's Library - Deep Sea Fish model No. 6. Length 124 mm, scale approx. 1:5 - 1:8.

Sharks

Chlamydoselachus anguineus Garman, 1884; Frilled Shark.
Safari Ltd. Prehistoric Sealife Toob model. Length 105 mm, scale approx. 1:14 - 1:19.
Encyclopedia Mystery: Deep Sea Fish Collection - Takara Tomy A.R.T.S model. Length 87 mm, scale approx. 1:16 - 1:23.
Colorata Sharks of the World - Sharks DX model No. 7. Length 86 mm, scale approx. 1:16 - 1:23. Human figure is 1:22 - 1:24 scale.

Isistius brasiliensis (Quoy & Gaimard, 1824); Cookiecutter Shark.
Colorata Sharks of the World - Sharks DX model No. 9. Length 61 mm, scale approx. 1:6 - 1:9.

Mitsukurina owstoni Jordan, 1898; Goblin Shark.
Takara Tomy A.R.T.S Encyclopedia Mystery - Deep Sea Creatures Fish 2 model. Length 101 mm, scale approx. 1:20 - 1:61. Human figure is approx. 1:50 scale. The set also included a secret figure with protruding jaws.
Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey Series 1 model No. 07. Length 67 mm, scale approx. 1:30 - 1:92. Human figure is 1:43 scale.
Colorata Sharks of the World - Sharks DX model No. 8. Length 107 mm, scale approx. 1:19 - 1:58. Human figure is 1:50 scale.

Megachasma pelagios Taylor, Compagno & Struhsaker, 1983; Megamouth Shark.
Furuta Choco Egg Wild Animal Series 4 model No. 99. Length 86 mm (TL), scale approx. 1:63 - 1:82. Human figure is approx. 1:72 scale.
Colorata Sharks of the World - Sharks DX model No. 3. Length 114 mm, scale approx. 1:47 - 1:62.

Oh, and of course I'll show some weird anglerfishes and other deep-sea actinopterygians soon! :D

Edit: Posted wrong scale for Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey Goblin Shark... :-[ Note to self: Don't try to post and reread what you're about to post when a three year old is climbing onto you. ;D

brontodocus

...and so here they are:

Opisthoproctus soleatus Vaillant, 1888; Barreleye or Spookfish.
AAA model. Length 135 mm, scale approx. 1:1.

Macropinna microstoma Chapman, 1939; Barreleye.
Encyclopedia Mystery: Deep Sea Fish Collection - Takara Tomy A.R.T.S model. Length 49 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:3.

Safari Ltd. Anglerfish (possibly Oneirodes sp.?)
Length approx. 150 mm, scale possibly 1:0.3 - 1:1.

Himantolophus groenlandicus Reinhardt, 1837; Atlantic Footballfish.
AAA model. Length 117 mm (SL 99 mm), scale approx. 1:4 - 1:6.
Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey Series 1 model No. 02. Length 45 mm, scale approx. 1:10 - 1:13.
Colorata Nature's Library - Deep Sea Fish model No. 4. Length 61 mm, scale approx. 1:7 - 1:10.
Encyclopedia Mystery: Deep Sea Fish Collection - Takara Tomy A.R.T.S model. Length 46.5 mm, scale approx. 1:10 - 1:13. The figure has a clear stand, too, which isn't shown here.

Melanocetus johnsonii Günther, 1864; Humpback Anglerfish or Black Seadevil.
Atlas Anima 3d model by Kaiyodo. Length 46 mm, scale approx. 1:3 - 1:4.

Thaumatichthys axeli (Bruun, 1953); Prince Axel's Wonder Fish, Wolftrap Angler or Danglefish.
AAA model. Length 172 mm (SL 152 mm), scale approx. 1:1 - 1:2.

Halieutaea cf. stellata (Vahl, 1797), Batfish.
AAA model. Length 105 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:2.8.

More to come... there are plenty of weird pelican eels, cuskeels, viperfish, dragonfish and so on... :)

Edit: Thinking of it (and comparing with Theodore W. Pietsch's "Oceanic Anglerfishes") the Safari Ltd. anglerfish might more properly be representing one of the many species within Oneirodes.

sbell

The sharks belong in the Chondrichthyans page! I guess it's hard given the topic...

brontodocus

Taxonomically, yes, of course. I was thinking about this thread being more focused on bathymetric distribution. They should of course be in the chondrichthans thread, too. Hmm, I wanted to avoid posting the same photos in two threads. Suggestions?

Jetoar

I like deep sea sharks. Goblink shark and Megamoth shark are cool and cute figures.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Jetoar

Quote from: sbell on December 11, 2012, 01:45:30 PM
The sharks belong in the Chondrichthyans page! I guess it's hard given the topic...

Deep sea fish are the favorite fish of my girlfriends  ^-^. I have only the wolftrap.

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 11, 2012, 02:07:31 PM
Taxonomically, yes, of course. I was thinking about this thread being more focused on bathymetric distribution. They should of course be in the chondrichthans thread, too. Hmm, I wanted to avoid posting the same photos in two threads. Suggestions?

Group shot? Or leave it to one of us--I have all of the same ones, and I'm sure others do too.

brontodocus

Quote from: Jetoar on December 11, 2012, 02:24:54 PM
I have only the wolftrap.
Which means you already have one of the weirdest! :)

Quote from: sbell on December 11, 2012, 02:46:40 PM
Group shot? Or leave it to one of us--I have all of the same ones, and I'm sure others do too.
Since you have them all, too it's probably the best if you upload them there. It's always a good thing seeing photos from different photographers, everybody has a different focus and a different perception. And yours always include a ruler for scale, that's another good thing! :)

Okay, here are some more:

Eurypharynx pelecanoides Vaillant, 1882; Pelican Eel.
Takara Tomy A.R.T.S Encyclopedia Mystery - Deep Sea Creatures Fish 2. Length 102 mm, scale approx. 1:5 - 1:10.
AAA (mislabelled "Gulper Eel"). Length 237 mm, scale approx. 1:2 - 1:4.
Safari Ltd. (mislabelled "Gulper Eel", too). Length 230 mm (SL), scale approx. 1:2 - 1:4.
Safari Ltd. Incredible Creatures 2009, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:2.
Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey Series 1. Length 72 mm, scale approx. 1:8 - 1:13.
Colorata Nature's Library - Deep Sea Fish. Length 145 mm, scale approx. 1:4 - 1:7.

Cetostoma regani Zugmayer, 1914; Whalefish. Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey part 2. Length 59 mm, scale approx. 1:4.

Anoplogaster cornuta (Valenciennes, 1833); Ogrefish. Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey part 1. Length 40 mm, scale approx. 1:4.

gen. sp.; unidentified sternoptychine Hatchetfish. AAA. Length 127 mm, scale not specified, possibly 1:0.25 - 1:1.

cf. Argyropelecus sp., unidentified hatchetfish.
Safari Ltd. Length 111 mm (SL), 132 mm (TL), scale approx. 1:0.3 - 1:1. The tag identifies it as Sternoptyx diaphana but apart from the eyes most characters (e.g. body shape, dorsal fin, arrangement of photophores) suggest it represents an Argyropelecus sp. instead.

Argyropelecus affinis Garman, 1899; Silver Hatchetfish. Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey part 2. Length 39 mm, scale approx. 1:2.

Argyropelecus hemigymnus Cocco, 1829. Takara Tomy A.R.T.S Encyclopedia Mystery - Deep Sea Creatures Fish 2. Length 49 mm, scale approx. 1:0.6 - 1:0.8.

Jetoar

Cool pelican fish and silver axe fish. Of this group, I have only the pelican fish of Wild Safari 2009  ^-^.

brontodocus

Which is a quite nice one, I hope there are more deep-sea animals added to the IC series, eventually! :)

gen. sp.; unidentifiable dragonfish. The tag identifies it as Tactostoma macropus Bolin, 1939 (Longfin dragonfish) with which it has no resemblance.
AAA model. Scale not specified (and I forgot to measure it, too :-[).

Chauliodus macouni Bean, 1890; Pacific Viperfish. AAA. Length 196 mm (SL 169 mm), scale approx. 1:1 - 1:1.5. The Safari Ltd. counterpart is the only one I'm still missing.

Chauliodus sloani Bloch & Schneider, 1801; Sloane's Viperfish.
Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey Series 1. Length 48 mm, scale approx. 1:4 - 1:7.
Colorata Nature's Library - Deep Sea Fish. Length 78 mm, scale approx. 1:2 - 1:4.5.

?Idiacanthus cf. atlanticus Brauer, 1906; Dragonfish. Safari Ltd. Length 217 mm, scale approx. 1:1. Does anybody have the original tag and knows what species this one should be according to Safari? I had a used one and later bought one in a gift box together with the anglerfish and there were no tags.

Malacosteus niger Ayres, 1848; Black Loosejaw or Stoplight Loosejaw.
Safari Ltd. Length 165 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:1.5.
AAA. Length 173 mm (SL 155 mm), scale approx. 1:1 - 1:1.4.

Pachystomias microdon (Günther, 1878); Smalltooth Dragonfish; together with unidentified lanternfish. Takara Kaiyodo Night Aqua Museum. Length 45 mm (SL, 50 mm TL), scale approx. 1:4 - 1:5.

Bathypterois guentheri Alcock, 1889; Spiderfish. Colorata Nature's Library - Deep Sea Fish Box. Length 55 mm, scale approx. 1:3.6 - 1:4.7.

Gigantura chuni Brauer, 1901. Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey part 2. Length 60 mm, scale approx. 1:2.5.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on December 11, 2012, 12:24:29 PM

Chlamydoselachus anguineus Garman, 1884; Frilled Shark.
Safari Ltd. Prehistoric Sealife Toob model. Length 105 mm, scale approx. 1:14 - 1:19.

A modern day animal figure I actually have!

Great thread by the way!

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on December 11, 2012, 02:07:31 PM

We don't have to be too fussy about keeping things in strict taxonomic order here. I say keep the deep sea fish in a separate thread and maybe link to it from the chondrichthan thread.  :)

brontodocus

Yes, that was my initial thought about it, too. :)
Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 11, 2012, 05:01:27 PM

Great thread by the way!
Thanks! :) Although I'm not surprised since it's the Prehistoric Sealife Toob. ;D

Okay, some more (that's about all of which I wanted to show here)...

Trachipterus trachypterus (Gmelin, 1789); Deal Fish, juvenile. Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey Series 2. Length 42 mm, scale approx. 1:1 - 1:10. This fish can grow up to approx. 3 metres but has different proportions as an adult, so a scale of approx. 1:72 would not make sense here.

Regalecus sp.; Oarfish. Marx model.

Regalecus glesne Ascanius 1772; King of Herrings. Encyclopedia Mystery: Deep Sea Fish Collection - Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. Length approx. 122 mm, scale approx. 1:25 - 1:90.

Regalecus russelii (Cuvier, 1816); Slender Oarfish. Colorata Nature's Library - Deep Sea Fish Box. Length 238 mm, scale approx. 1:20 - 1:22.5.

Abyssobrotula galatheae Nielsen, 1977. Encyclopedia Mystery: Deep Sea Fish Collection - Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. Length 50 mm, scale approx. 1:3.

Spectrunculus grandis (Günther, 1877) Pudgy Cuskeel. Takara Tomy A.R.T.S Encyclopedia Mystery - Deep Sea Creatures Fish 2. Length 61 mm, scale approx. 1:20 (just like minimen Andreas Köpke).

Psychrolutes phrictus Stein & Bond, 1978; Blob Sculpin. Encyclopedia Mystery: Deep Sea Fish Collection - Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. Length 56 mm, scale approx. 1:10 - 1:13.

Careproctus trachysoma Gilbert & Burke, 1912; Rough Snailfish. Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey part 1. Length 44 mm, scale approx. 1:7.

Pseudoliparis amblystomopsis (Andriashev, 1955); Hadal Snailfish. Takara Tomy A.R.T.S Encyclopedia Mystery - Deep Sea Creatures Fish 2. Lengths of individuals 20 - 40 mm, scale approx. 1:5 - 1:6.

Latimeria chalumnae J.L.B. Smith, 1938; Coelacanth.
Takara Tomy A.R.T.S Encyclopedia Mystery - Deep Sea Creatures Fish 2. Length 68 mm, scale approx. 1:21 - 1:29.
Kaiyodo Deep Sea Odyssey part 2. Length 59 mm, scale approx. 1:25 - 1:34. Human figure is approx. 1:30 scale.
Colorata Endangered Species - Fossil Fish Box (old version). Length 100 mm, scale approx. 1:14 - 1:20. Someone should probably upload a photo of the newer one (which I don't have).
Safari Ltd. / Wild Safari Dinos. Length 148 mm, scale approx. 1:10 - 1:11.

Latimeria menadoensis Pouyaud et al., 1999; Indonesian Coelacanth. Colorata Endangered Species Museum Model. Length 148 mm, scale approx. 1:8 - 1:13.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on December 11, 2012, 05:21:13 PM
Yes, that was my initial thought about it, too. :)
Quote from: animaltoyforum on December 11, 2012, 05:01:27 PM

Great thread by the way!
Thanks! :) Although I'm not surprised since it's the Prehistoric Sealife Toob. ;D

Ooh Ooh, I also have the Wild Safari Coelacanth too!. Coelacanths have their own thread over on the DTF. Hmm, are you a lumper or a splitter?

sbell

Colorata Coelacanths!

Comparison:

And the new version on its own (now it looks like a live specimen!)

brontodocus

Oh, of course I know about the coelacanths thread: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,162.0.html. ^-^ Well, I guess at least in this thread I'm more of a lumper since I thought it's best to include Latimeria as a representative of a bathyal fish here, too. Of course, over at the DTF the thread contains many more models. By the way, I still don't know how to include hyperlinks like on DTF, i.e. how to connect an abbreviation or other word with the complete URL. But it must be possible since sbell did so in the chondrichthans thread... but how? Maybe that would be something for the help section?
Quote from: sbell on December 11, 2012, 06:02:14 PM
Colorata Coelacanths!

Comparison:
Oh, thanks! :) Can't decide which I like better, they both are appealing. Sigh, I'll have to get that newer box, too. Still no Polypterus over here! :-\

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 11, 2012, 06:09:20 PM
Oh, of course I know about the coelacanths thread: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,162.0.html. ^-^ Well, I guess at least in this thread I'm more of a lumper since I thought it's best to include Latimeria as a representative of a bathyal fish here, too. Of course, over at the DTF the thread contains many more models. By the way, I still don't know how to include hyperlinks like on DTF, i.e. how to connect an abbreviation or other word with the complete URL. But it must be possible since sbell did so in the chondrichthans thread... but how? Maybe that would be something for the help section?
Quote from: sbell on December 11, 2012, 06:02:14 PM
Colorata Coelacanths!

Comparison:
Oh, thanks! :) Can't decide which I like better, they both are appealing. Sigh, I'll have to get that newer box, too. Still no Polypterus over here! :-\

Not even the Kaiyodo pets ones? That's not right.

I mentioned the links stuff, but the admin explained it
somewhere else, so deleted!

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on December 11, 2012, 06:29:31 PM

As for the links, I just recently figured it out!  If you 'quote' my post, you will see the coding in the typing screen--it's pretty simple once you see it!

The front tags go like this:
[URL = website url] Then you type whatever text you want to show up. The hyperlink closes with the normal closing tag.
No, not even those, I'm afraid. I've seen them on ebay and jauce frequently but they were too expensive as individual figures. But that needs to be changed, eventually! :)
Oh, and thanks for the info on the hyperlink tags! :)

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on December 11, 2012, 06:37:33 PM
Quote from: sbell on December 11, 2012, 06:29:31 PM

As for the links, I just recently figured it out!  If you 'quote' my post, you will see the coding in the typing screen--it's pretty simple once you see it!

The front tags go like this:
[URL = website url] Then you type whatever text you want to show up. The hyperlink closes with the normal closing tag.
No, not even those, I'm afraid. I've seen them on ebay and jauce frequently but they were too expensive as individual figures. But that needs to be changed, eventually! :)
Oh, and thanks for the info on the hyperlink tags! :)

Funny thing, I got my first pair (one of each) almost immediately when they came out.  Over time, each was broken (invisibly, but still) but I lucked out and few one of each again for $1 each!  I haven't ever seen that again (even in the Japan auction sites, that seems to be one that still commands a fair price; I'd love to get a whole shoal of them, but I have better things to do with limited collection money).

Jetoar

Amazing deeps seas. In Spain, we dont see this amazing figures  :(. I would like to have Colorata and Kaiyoodo fish in general but here this is impossible  :(.