Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Crocodilia - crocodiles, alligators, caimans & gharials

Started by postsaurischian, December 11, 2012, 07:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

Quote from: stemturtle on March 04, 2015, 12:02:31 AM
(Nayab),
5 5/8 inches or 14.4 cm.

There are 3 transverse rows of scales behind the head, while all other Crocodylus species have only 2 rows. This important field mark is only weakly represented, and placed too high. The 6 nucal scales were omitted. A narrower snout should have been sculpted without ridges in front of the eyes. In spite of the shortcomings, we can be glad to add this attractive species to our collections.

is this the same Nayab croc, stemturtle?

stemturtle

Sauroid, the croc figures look the same. The color of mine is more green, but that might be the lighting.

sauroid

Quote from: stemturtle on March 08, 2015, 05:33:29 PM
Sauroid, the croc figures look the same. The color of mine is more green, but that might be the lighting.
thank you :)

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on March 08, 2015, 03:17:22 PM
Quote from: brontodocus on March 08, 2015, 12:05:20 PM
Wow, I never thought there was a Mecistops cataphractus figure! :o 8) And, yes, the armor scutes behind the head and on the neck are key characters in identifying crocodile species (which is why I do not regard the Safari Ltd IC "Walking Crocodile" or "Saltwater Crocodile" as representing C. porosus).

Then what would it be?
Aw, sorry to be late... :-[ The arrangement of osteoderms is not really accurate. Instead of the six nuchal osteoderms and a transverse row of four just behind the head (which is present in all Crocodylus species except for C. porosus) the figure shows two transverse rows of four osteoderms. My interpretation is that the first of these two rows represents the four scutes behind the head present in the other Crocodylus species. It is not a 100% exact match, but I find C. niloticus looks most similar. Other than the neck scute issue the figure does look like C. porosus, though. However, in this respect the Colorata Saltwater Crocodile is much more accurate, it has the pack of six nuchal osteoderms and there is no additional row of four.

AcroSauroTaurus

My Crocodilians

Figures:
CollectA Nile Crocodile
Schleich old Nile Crocodile
Safari Nile Crocodile
Safari Prehistoric Crocs Toob Sarcosuchus, Montealtosuchus, Postosuchus, Dakosaurus, Pristichampsus, Desmatosuchus, Champsosaurus.
Safari Prehistoric Sealife Toob Metriorhynchus
Animal Planet Crocodiles and Alligators box Crocodiles(the brown one in front, and the green one on the Schleichs back, I lost the rest when I was younger) Now retired
Animal Planet Safari Bin Crocodile(In front of the Sarcosuchus) also retired
Random Yellow Croc and grey Croc
Pewter Crocodile figurine

Figures:
Schleich Nile? Crocodile
Papo Indian Gharial
Schleich American Alligator
I am the Dinosaur King!

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd Wildlife Wonders (American) Alligator, Alligator mississippiensis (Daudin, 1802); item No. 113389. Total length (measured as if the animal was fully stretched out) is 289 mm, snout-vent length 148 mm, and head length is 45 mm. The scale is approx. 1:9 - 1:15 for a mature individual and up to 1:20 for world record size. This is currently my favourite alligator figure and highly accurate - down to the nuchal osteoderms which are arranged in the correct pattern (a rare exception in crocodilian toy figures!) so it is even possible to identify this one to species level. Surprisingly, Safari Ltd only identified it to genus level but this is obviously not representing A. sinensis. So, finally Bernie, Safari Ltd's brand mascot, received a figure that really does it justice! :) While only a few decades ago the American Alligator population was threatened by hunting and habitat loss the species has recovered since and it is considered "Least Concern" by IUCN. By the way, this is my first walk-around using postimage.org, let's see if these image last longer than a year or two...

Bonus image - size comparison with some other toy figures representing Alligator mississippiensis; Schleich Wild Life, CollectA Wild Life, and the huge Safari Ltd Incredible Creatures figure:

BlueKrono

Wow, that one is truly superior in every aspect of anatomical accuracy.
I like turtles.

sbell

It makes sense, that Safari could finally get the alligator right--they are probably in their backyard! Seriously, alligators are all over the place in Florida!

brontodocus

Thanks, BlueKrono and Sean! :) Yes, since they are located in Florida and have "Bernie" as their mascot they could have probably made an excellent alligator model like this even a few years earlier. But hey, finally we have one. :) Oh, and I forgot to mention: This is also the first Wildlife Wonders figure not representing a mammal.

brontodocus

Schleich Alligator with moveable jaw phtos are back. :)

brontodocus

Walk-around of Schleich Crocodile with moveable jaw is working again! :)

brontodocus

postsaurischian

:D Wonderful walk around! I love this figure.

I'd like to mention that it was sculpted by Doug Watson, who also did most of Safari's 2017 Dinosaurs.
He indeed calls it an American Alligator:

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 06, 2016, 02:25:33 PM
Quote from: sauroid on October 06, 2016, 01:00:38 PM
Doug, may i know the extant animals you sculpted? tia

also curious, were you the sculptor of the 2007 lioness with cub?

It's a big list 165 pieces not counting prehistoric animals since 2003. You are not the first to ask, I am not sure how to do it, if I should do a thread here or on the ATF, Dr. Admin any ideas? I am not on the ATF as much. That is a lot of images to post :-\
I didn't do the 2007 lioness with cub but this year I did do the WW American Alligator, WW Whitetail Buck, IC Collared Lizard, WS Howler Monkey.

brontodocus

Thanks for the info, Helge! :) I thought Doug Watson is the only one who made sculpts for the Wildlife Wonders series? Because, he didn't mention the Arctic Fox.

widukind

my crocs:

made in china

Safari toob Alligator

3x Schleich, Procon and in the background Safari Ltd toob

Nayab,VEB Plaho,Colorata, Science and Nature, Britains Ltd - background all K&M

Playvisions

Papo ganges gharial

K&M nile crocodile

PNSO Siam crocodile

Yowies american crocodile

Keaton64

I received this figure today, and I have a question for those who also own one:  is the tail more flexible than the rest of the body?  It just seems like the material for the stomach is much more durable (and harder to squeeze) than the tail.  I wasn't sure if this is normal across all figures or exclusive to mine.  I bought it directly from Safari, but they haven't run out of the old color scheme yet; I thought for sure after these past several months that the remastered version would arrive today.  It's still awesome though.

widukind

postsaurischian

I also have the old version and it's completely hollow.

Jetoar

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 09, 2017, 10:27:05 AM
I also have the old version and it's completely hollow.

I dont know the old version of this figure  :o.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Keaton64

The one I have is also completely hollow as well, but I noticed a distinct difference in the pliability of the tail.  I just wanted to see if the tail on anyone else's figure was softer and more flexible than the rest of the body like the one on mine, or is the tail as hard to squeeze as the mid-section.

Also Jetoar, I was referring to the new remaster of this figure that safari has in their 2017 catalogue.  It's a much darker green than the one pictured above, which sort of does make it the old one now.  They haven't gotten through their stock of this color scheme yet.