News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Nottingham Natural History Museum

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 10, 2012, 11:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advicot

Thanks Adam I'll definitely bear this in mind.  :)
Don't I take long uploading photos!

AnimalToyForum

See, here's the state of one of our galleries at the moment! Note the shoebill in the case as the end, that's a type specimen that it. 8) It will take pride of place in the renovated gallery, soon...

sirenia

Having visited the museum, gotta say you are lucky there. Great museum. Hoping I can end up in a place like that some day (now I have my Anthropology and Museum Practice MA).

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: sirenia on May 05, 2020, 03:00:18 PM
Having visited the museum, gotta say you are lucky there. Great museum. Hoping I can end up in a place like that some day (now I have my Anthropology and Museum Practice MA).

We were in the midst of a major transformation project when we were locked down, and it will be my focus again when normality returns. So, when you next visit, it should be even better than before.  8)

Advicot

Hopefully I can visit when everything returns to normal

Lanthanotus

I especially enjoyed the marvellous bird dioramas on that digital tour you released after the Dinos of China exhibition. I hope you keep them that way?

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: Lanthanotus on May 10, 2020, 04:21:51 PM
I especially enjoyed the marvellous bird dioramas on that digital tour you released after the Dinos of China exhibition. I hope you keep them that way?

Yes, we are keeping them. 8)

That virtual experience is still available for perpetuity for anyone who want to 'visit': https://v21artspace.com/dinosaurs-of-china

Advicot

My favourite parts of natural history museums are definitely the taxidermy and animals, as I do taxidermy and study zoology   :)

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: Advicot on May 12, 2020, 06:14:46 PM
My favourite parts of natural history museums are definitely the taxidermy and animals, as I do taxidermy and study zoology   :)

I'd like to see examples of your taxidermy, that would make an interesting thread!

Advicot

Well as I have so much free time currently I'll get working on a project and post when I get hold of a specimen  :)

AnimalToyForum

If I'm a bit quiet on the forum recently it's because I'm busy with work at the museum. For example, today we were installing lights into our 19th century bird displays for the first time in their history.

Advicot

Some amazing species in those cabinets

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Advicot on July 09, 2020, 09:08:46 AM
Some amazing species in those cabinets

Indeed.... what species are those black "storks", think I`ve never seen those....

Advicot

It looks like an African openbill (Anastomus lamelligerus)

Isidro

Quote from: Lanthanotus on July 10, 2020, 11:20:44 PMthink I`ve never seen those....

Really you never saw an African openbill??  :o is not as common in zoos as the three species below (cattle egret, African spoonbill and Eurasian spoonbill), but still...

Lanthanotus

I am surprised myself, but yes, unknown to me as of yet.

Thanks for the identification

AnimalToyForum

Yes, you are correct about the identity of the stork.

This week I was populating new cases in the same gallery to contrast with the old cases.

Isidro

These more recent specimens looks like much more neat.

Advicot

A gorgeous display of birds, out of the 22 I can see, I can name 13 or so:

Osprey, galah, long tailed tit, dipper, red legged partridge, Senegal parrot, grey heron, jay, magpie and a domestic chicken

Isidro

Quote from: Advicot on July 12, 2020, 03:41:21 PM
A gorgeous display of birds, out of the 22 I can see, I can name 13 or so:

Osprey, galah, long tailed tit, dipper, red legged partridge, Senegal parrot, grey heron, jay, magpie and a domestic chicken

Oh, I missed the dipper before!
I'm not so sure about the partridge being red-legged. Rock or chukar seems more plausible to me.
Really you didn't recognized the hoopoe?!?!?  :o I think that you just skipped it. And the coot, you don't name it because not knowing the exact species of coot, is it? (however there are also various species of dippers, jays and magpies).
More difficult to recognize is the Atlantic Puffin next to the magpie. The king parrot is not easy as it's apparently shedding the feathers from young to adult. I guess the small parakeet in the right frame is a Turquoise parrot. Above the coot and galah... it could be a crossbill, but image definition don't allow to see the bill shape.
Ah, and the breed or chicken is Sebright :D

Edit: the helmeted guineafowl went unnoticed to me until now! :P