News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rodents

Started by brontodocus, March 27, 2013, 09:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Schleich Bayala porcupine from "Fizzio" (some sort of elven porcupine warrior), apparently an Indian or White-tailed Crested Porcupine, Hystrix indica Kerr, 1792 (the mane has no or at least very little white, unlike H. cristata and H. africaeaustralis would have). Snout-vent length of the porcupine is approx. 65 mm so the scale would be between approx. 1:11 and 1:14 (it would be a little too large to be in scale with "Fizzio"). The "European Father" from Miniland "Los Amigos del Mundo" is approx. 1:13 - 1:14 scale and gives a better comparison of an adult human with the animal. The figure has just been retired so I had to get one while I could. A little too expensive for my taste (since I'm not overly fond of Fizzio, he's in the last two photos) but the porcupine itself was too cute to pass on this one... ^-^

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

skysthelimit

Very nice animal, too bad it couldn't be bought out of the set...

AnimalToyForum

The porcupine is rather fine. That's quite a quiff to go with those quills.  :D

brontodocus

Hehe, if the quiff would be pointing more forward it would qualify for being a member of Leningrad Cowboys. ;D But the mane is indeed very long in those crested porcupines.

Varanus

Jetoar

Wonderful amd exclusive figure. It is a pity that Schleich didnt release this figure alone...........  :-\.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Ana

I like it and there is not many porcupines on toy market. I had to buy it too ;)
Congratulations and thank You for sharing :D

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd Incredible Creatures Black-tailed Prairie Dogs, Cynomys ludovicianus (Ord, 1815). The figure has just been retired for 2014 and is not listed in Safari's catalogue anymore. Snout-vent length of the two adults is approx. 85 mm and tail length 27 mm, standing height is 72 and 73 mm, respectively, so the scale is approx. 1:4.
Despite local decline the species still occurs in great numbers in the wild and IUCN lists it as "Least Concern".
Over here some people keep prairie dogs as pets despite their burrowing habits. I've heard that one keeper, asked how they are as pets, answered "synchronised destruction world champions". ;D

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Very cool figure. It has been retired this year, it is a bad new, it is the firts time that I see this figure :(.

Takama

Its been a while since I been to any of my local farm and home Stores, so when I visited one today, I found some new 2014 items.

One of them was this little Chipmunk, which is one of the smallest figures I currently own.  For some reason, Schleich sculpted two brown things on the beside it. I think there Acorns but im unsure.

Jetoar

Really cute replica  ^-^. the two things are acorns. I think that they could have done a better work with the acorns, but they are not bad  ^-^. Thanks for sharing.

bmathison1972

wow, and I thought the nuts on the CollectA Megacerops were big  >:D

sbell

It's just the Rocky Mountain Easter chipmunk with it's chocolate eggs.

brontodocus

A cute, nice, and really tiny figure. I bought it recently, too. :) And, yes, those are hazelnuts rather than acorns.

widukind

postsaurischian

sbell

I seriously considered that one...I have a few already, but it looks nice.

Reminds of the fossil 'flying squirrel-like" teeth I found...a long time ago!

Takama

Part of the First wave released in the USA

BlueKrono

A few of my random rodentia:

Rats

Random mammals (including some rodents)
I like turtles.

brontodocus

Walk-around photos of IC Prairie Dogs repaired. :)