News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Gone, but not forgotten?

Started by OkapiBoy, February 23, 2013, 08:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkapiBoy

Gone, but not forgotten
This thread is for all the recently extinct animals, yes, that includes birds and fish, too. They are not considered prehistoric since most were around till very recently. Most were exterminated by overhunting and loss of habitat. Some of these animals are famous, like the dodo, quagga and tylacine. Some are known for their large size, like the Moa and elephant birds, while others are more obscure and small.
To date, the Yowie series has the most extinct species in their collection, after all it was devoted specifically for them.
Anyway, hopefully some of you can add more photos, I would love to see what else is out there ;)

The mammals:
Red Gazelle, Blue buck, Quagga. Tylacine, Aurouch, Steller's sea cow, monk seal, japanese wolf (?)
Mammoth is there just because its part of the series

The birds and fish:
Paradise parrot, Hawaiian "O"o, Moa, Dodo, Labrador duck, Auckland marganser, Pink headed duck, Samoan rail, Norfolk comorant, Cuban Red macaw, Stephen Island wren, Huppe, Bonin island grossbeak, Choiseul crested pigeon

That's all that is in my collection, hope to see yours! :D

Takama

CollectA has Lonsome George coming out as a figure, so that could be a part of this thread if someone gets it

Ana

Wow, impressive collection of recently extinct species, congratulations Okapiboy :) I have only (but wonderful) Thylacine and maybe I will soon paint my Quagga too :) Hope to add Dodo bird in near future as well :)

:)

Varanus

Great collection OkapiBoy!  Thoe Yowies are very cool! :)

That's an awesome Thylacine Ana! :o

sauroid

this is my Yowies new zealand greater adzebill

brontodocus

Ah, I have that one, too. :)

This one is a sculpt I made about a year ago (still not 100% finished) at approx. 1/20 scale:

†Lipotes vexillifer Miller, 1918; Baiji or Yangtze River Dolphin (length 118 mm).

Considering Lonesome George, it is possible but not certain that Chelonoidis nigra abingdonii is really extinct: http://www.livescience.com/24806-galapagos-tortoise-lonesome-george.html Anyways, I have the CollectA figure on preorder.

sbell

I thought I had read that about the Pinta Island subspecies, but couldn't remember where.

And the Yangtze river dolphin just reminds us of a depressing fact--at least from certain areas, some of our 'modern' figures are going to move into the 'recently extinct' (at least in the wild) category, likely within our lifetimes.

Notwithstanding the many plants, reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates, fish, etc that were never deemed toy-worthy to begin with, of course.

sauroid

the Yangtze giant softshell turtle (Rafetus swinhoei) might, if the remaining specimens dont ever breed, follow Chelonoidis nigra abingdonii in the list of the recently extinct reptiles

sbell

Quote from: sauroid on February 25, 2013, 05:08:17 PM
the Yangtze giant softshell turtle (Rafetus swinhoei) might, if the remaining specimens dont ever breed, follow Chelonoidis nigra abingdonii in the list of the recently extinct reptiles

I think pretty much everything in the Yangtze is heading that way (apparently the paddlefish has not definitely been seen for some time). Eventually, the people making the decisions in China will regret their actions--hopefully before the entire ecosystem is 'unrecoverable' (of course, nature will fill the void, but we'll have lost all sorts of cool things). Sort of like Madagascar, I guess.

OkapiBoy

Quote from: Ana on February 24, 2013, 10:39:20 AM
Wow, impressive collection of recently extinct species, congratulations Okapiboy :) I have only (but wonderful) Thylacine and maybe I will soon paint my Quagga too :) Hope to add Dodo bird in near future as well :)

:)

Wow, beautiful figure, and it has a baby! ;D Did you make this figure?

Ana

@ Okapi Boy no it's not my work. It was made by Joan, here is his website: http://bestiari.weebly.com/ :)

Ana

@OkapiBoy, could You tell us more about brands which made animals from Your collection? I think I see some Yowies, some repainted Schleich and what else? :) Thanks in advance ;)

jean773

CollectA has a 'new for 2013' soala.  They aren't gone yet, but it doesn't look very hopeful.  The thylacine is phenomenal!

brontodocus

Quote from: jean773 on April 19, 2013, 07:45:09 PM
CollectA has a 'new for 2013' soala.  They aren't gone yet, but it doesn't look very hopeful.  The thylacine is phenomenal!
Yes, it doesn't look good for Saolas... hasn't the last one been seen in 2010 (and died soon after)?  :(