News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Leaf insect (Furuta - ChocoEgg Series 6)

Started by AnimalToyForum, February 17, 2013, 12:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Here's a walk-around of the leaf insect (Phyllium giganteum) by Furuta. ChocoEgg Series 6 and 7 were not produced in collaboration with Kaiyodo.

Available from Jubei88 on Ebay

brontodocus

Excellent photos and a great figure - and one of only three walking leaf figures I'm aware of. :) The posteriolateral lobes of the abdomen (those lobes at either side of the rear end) suggest it's rather Phyllium giganteum instead of P. bioculatum which is devoid of such lobes.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on February 17, 2013, 01:19:39 PM
Excellent photos and a great figure - and one of only three walking leaf figures I'm aware of. :) The posteriolateral lobes of the abdomen (those lobes at either side of the rear end) suggest it's rather Phyllium giganteum instead of P. bioculatum which is devoid of such lobes.

I'll bow to your wisdom and change the ID :) I took a bit of a punt with the species identification, so many thanks for the correction! ;)

Jetoar

Amazing figure, it is alive. Thanks for sharing friend  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sepango

Excellent photos and a great figure - and one of only three walking leaf figures I'm aware of.

Hi,

can you or anyone else tell me anything about the other two figures, please?

I am highly interested in phyllium figures.

bmathison1972

Quote from: sepango on March 30, 2014, 09:14:13 PM
Excellent photos and a great figure - and one of only three walking leaf figures I'm aware of.

Hi,

can you or anyone else tell me anything about the other two figures, please?

I am highly interested in phyllium figures.

I know of three others, but only have one other:

1) Safari LTD put out a large one as part of their Smithsonian Collection. It is very nice but long since retired and hard to obtain. I have this figure

2) Play Visions put one out, but I've only seen it in pictures. (I have seen it available in two forms: a realistically colored one and a solid-colored 'translucent' figure)

3) There is this one here too, but again I've only seen it online (I would love to get this complete set if anyone sees it available somewhere). http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~CH2M-NITU/imeikane.htm

brontodocus

Yes, I was thinking about the Smithsonian Collection figure and No. 3 Blaine posted (I have that one and it's by Kabaya). I didn't even know about a PV version! :o

EDIT: Oh, no, I just realise that not only have I seen the PV version but I actually have it! :o Somewhere... How could I forget about that? If someone is searching for me, I'm hiding under a rock... :-[ ;D

bmathison1972

PlayVisions put out a general insect set that included (but probably not limited to): grasshopper, leaf-mimic katydid, velvet ant, leaf insect, triatomine bug, and fulgoroid planthopper. There may be a louse too, but that could've been part of their parasites set. I've seen the translucents available at VegHead but not the more realistically-colored figures.

brontodocus

Yes, that's true, I have all of those (the painted versions) except for the velvet ant. The PV leaf insects are more yellowish than green. The set also included a subadult nymph of an empusid praying mantis, very likely Blepharopsis mendica.