Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Unstamped Cuttlefish and Orange Jellyfish

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, July 16, 2024, 05:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

I just had to snag these off ebay when I saw them. There is no makers mark on the cuttlefish at all, it is clearly a copy of the AAA model. The jelly is hard plastic and has the word China and the letter A on the underside of the mantle/bell (I'm at work at the moment and don't recall exactly what is on it). Any idea on species for either or a possible maker? *sorry for the poor photos, I took them late last night after a looooong day at work*

bmathison1972

the jellyfish was possibly modeled after the mauve stinger, which appears to be the inspiration for several generic jellyfish toys (e.g., Safari).

NSD Bashe

Oh yeah I think I saw that lot recently, good catch  :)  The jellyfish are marked TM for Toy Major I believe, I have a few of em somewhere.  I'm unsure of the cuttlefish but it might be one of those Aliexpress ones that no one's really sure of the official brand for.  What texture is it, squishy/hollow or more thick like the jellyfish?

Saarlooswolfhound

Sorry for the delay in response. The jelly is only marked China and an A. The cuttle fish has nothing. It is formed jusy like the AAA model, the top third of the mantle is hollow but the rest is pretty solid, just cast in softer plastic (more squishable especially in the hollow bit). The Jelly is much harder plastic, but the tentacles are bendy.

NSD Bashe

Ah so I might've misremembered about it being marked TM, but one of the jellies is listed on the Animal Toy Wiki as Toy Major:

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Toy_Major_Black_Sea_Nettle

I know they come in a couple slightly different species and the colors include purple, blue, green, orange and pink

NSD Bashe

It occurs to me the AAA deep sea bottom feeders set also has mini "clones" with no markings on them.  Coincidence?...

NSD Bashe

I think I've more or less solved the jellyfish conundrum; I found the ones I have and while there is a small bit of variety in the tentacles, I found something else as well...

rainbowofjellyfish.jpg

jellytoymajor.jpg

Most of them have the Toy Major TM logo on them, along with production number, year and the UKRD label as well.  Also they are more rubbery unlike the one you have.

jellyunmarked.jpg

However, I noticed one was just a bit stiffer and had tentacles ever so slightly thicker than the others, but aside from that was basically identical - all except for the words underneath, which is just China followed with a B.  If the unbranded ones are not Toy Major/UKRD officially they appear to at least share the same mold and a similar translucent neon colored material.