News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Possible Kaiyodo Wild Rush Hyacinth Macaw bootleg?

Started by Dragon2002, June 18, 2024, 05:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragon2002

I have recently purchased the Kaiyodo Wild Rush Hyacinth Macaw from this seller on AliExpress: https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005006306994282.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.10.1a591c24H6WLQ1&gatewayAdapt=glo2pol
The figure arrived today but I noticed few odd things about it:
-it doesn't have removable tail, its casted as one piece with no visible seam at all.
-it has lot of yellow paint blemishes, mostly on the right side (see photos) and even chipped paint specks in two places.
-it has a visible casting seam on top of the head and right side of chest.
-it doesn't have Kaiyodo logo on the bottom.
-it has matte finish, while the photos of the original figure look glossy, especially the base.
-the black lines on the undertail covert feathers are painted on very slopilly and randomly, while on the photos of the original figure they seem to be precisely painted in between each feather.
- the feather deatails appear to be less crisp than on the original figure.
Could this figure be a bootleg? Or was there some sort of 'second run' of this figure with worse qc? I know there are bootlegs of various Kaiyodo bird figures on Ali, but I have never seen one of this macaw, and they are always very noticably bootleg-looking and are always sold alongside hundreds of other brands' figure knock-offs. I have never seen any sold as real product.

BlueKrono

@Dragon2002 I think it's a distinct possibility. The lack of logo on the underside is a tell-tale sign.
I like turtles.

Saarlooswolfhound

Yeah, these kinds of copies have been flooding the market lately. Especially on these sorts of sites like aliexpress, temu, etc. My bet is that this is a reproduction and not the original thing.

stargatedalek

Is the upper body one solid piece?

Looking at mine, it has a logo printed into the underside of the base, and that seam line is actually an assembly point.

Dragon2002

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 18, 2024, 06:37:48 PMIs the upper body one solid piece?

Looking at mine, it has a logo printed into the underside of the base, and that seam line is actually an assembly point.
Entire figure is a solid piece.

Kenc

The spray paint material looks not good, a good spray paint should be smooth and shiny.