News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Arabian Oryx Figures Thoughts (SafariLtd vs. Mojo)

Started by EpicRaptorMan, December 02, 2023, 12:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicRaptorMan

So currently I believe only two brands make an Arabian oryx. SafariLtd and Mojo.

SafariLtd's version has aggressively curved horns which is inaccurate and Mojo's paint job doesn't seem entirely faithful but more importantly appears to have quite stubby legs. What are everyone's thoughts on these two?

bmathison1972

I went with Safari myself. Mojo looks like a Arabian-gemsbok hybrid  :o

EpicRaptorMan

@bmathison1972 yeah, but a simple white repaint would be easier to complete then straightening the horns.

sbell

Don't forget that Schleich also makes one

And it's not their first (the original was better)

And CollectA makes a Scimitar-horned oryx but oddly not an Arabian.

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on December 02, 2023, 04:07:42 PMDon't forget that Schleich also makes one

that's a gemsbok, not an Arabian  8)  C:-)  ;)

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 02, 2023, 04:12:33 PM
Quote from: sbell on December 02, 2023, 04:07:42 PMDon't forget that Schleich also makes one

that's a gemsbok, not an Arabian  8)  C:-)  ;)

Not according to Schleich...https://ca.schleich-s.com/products/oryx-14759-1?variant=46178736931132&currency=CAD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&srsltid=AfmBOopJ6GB6C0Rb6_ztKfbm9UlITMiPD17KWyuH6S5JpTs7NYLwTX17qxg

Which probably says more about Schleich than we normally do...

bmathison1972

Not sure what you mean. Schleich's website only states it's an oryx (unless I'm missing something); it doesn't specify the type. The color is most certainly that of a gemsbok (AKA, South African oryx).

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 02, 2023, 04:24:56 PMNot sure what you mean. Schleich's website only states it's an oryx (unless I'm missing something); it doesn't specify the type. The color is most certainly that of a gemsbok (AKA, South African oryx).

Yeah, that's my error. I saw oryx. The original Schleich was actually called a gemsbok.

EpicRaptorMan

When I was younger I would always refer to the Gemsbok just as "Oryx".
I might be willing to repaint a current Gemsbok/oryx. I already have the Scimitar Oryx from CollectA and the new Gemsbok from Schleich.

EpicRaptorMan

PS would not say the old Schleich is better than the new one  ;D

sbell

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on December 02, 2023, 06:37:43 PMPS would not say the old Schleich is better than the new one  ;D

I might just have fonder memories than it deserves. I sold it years ago

Shane

If curved horns are your main concern, it may be possible to straighten them out with the old hot water or hair dryer method. Use hot water or a hair dryer to soften the plastic until its nice and floppy, then straighten it to your desired level, hold the position, and run cold water over the horns til they harden.

BlueKrono

I don't think about oryxes too much, but I visited the Milwaukee Zoo yesterday and they sell a line of very nice pewter ornaments, and their new release this year is the scimitar-horned oryx. Not a species I collect, but thought folks in this group might be interested:
https://www.zoosociety.org/support/ornaments/
I like turtles.

EpicRaptorMan

Quote from: Shane on December 04, 2023, 01:34:50 PMIf curved horns are your main concern, it may be possible to straighten them out with the old hot water or hair dryer method. Use hot water or a hair dryer to soften the plastic until its nice and floppy, then straighten it to your desired level, hold the position, and run cold water over the horns til they harden.
Perhaps, I've used the hot water soaking method in the past to straighten plastic legs/horns but those were already bent out of their intended places with mixed success. Never used it for an aftermarket modification.

EpicRaptorMan

But I did go ahead and purchase the mojo version as it was available on Amazon for cheap, free shipping, 5% back with CC, and ofc I was given a free Prime trial.

It is currently 10 stops away from my location. If I don't like it (beyond my repainting capabilities) then a return is quick and easy.

Shane

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on December 04, 2023, 09:55:15 PMPerhaps, I've used the hot water soaking method in the past to straighten plastic legs/horns but those were already bent out of their intended places with mixed success. Never used it for an aftermarket modification.

You're right that it's not ideal for changing something that isn't necessarily "warped" to begin with, but I have some confidence it could work for a couple of reasons. If you look at images of the Safari Arabian Oryx online, there's a lot of variance to curvature. Some are more curved, some are almost straight. They're also very thin, which means they need to be flexible to avoid breakage and sharp points.

Because of this, I do feel like it could be done. I'd try if I had an Arabian Oryx, but unforunately I never grabbed one before they got discontinued.

EpicRaptorMan

Got the Arabian oryx yesterday and painted it last night.
The size is good and is pretty much identical to the new-Schleich Gemsbok in terms of size/posture. (almost makes me feel that Mojo copied Schleich lol).

In my photo the light brown underbelly isn't as brown as the picture depicts and whites are whiter.
- I painted the horns a flat black compared to the odd brown/white from stock.
- shaved some of the black markings on the jaws to be slimmer.
- shortened the black marking on the nose and formed an upward turning curve.
- blackened the nostrils and added a "V" mark.

Overall, it was a pretty simple repaint and I enjoy this as my Arabian Oryx representative.