News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2024

Started by bmathison1972, November 16, 2023, 08:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Thanks! I'll take the slider off my wish list. I thought the frog was a phantasmal but wasn't sure (I already have that species, too)

Draca

I will be getting

Eagle Owl
Scarlet Ibis
Guinea Fowl
White Peacock

Maybe (depending on actual photos)

Canadian Goat
Turkey
Snowy Owl ("Flying Owl")

Oof I was actually hoping for the "Florida Turtle" to be a Florida softshell turtle. Oh well, still lots of new figures I am excited about.

Saarlooswolfhound

Some great models here.The clouded leopard and mountain goat and mako are sort of odd postures, they look quite stuff, but otherwise they are wonderful also!

EpicRaptorMan

So I guess the first photo didn't load. But I see it now. The porcupine looks good. Might be enough so to replace my CollectA. The caiman looks good too...I already have a SafariLtd Caiman so we'll see.

The frog is a pass and the turtle is a maybe. Appears to me to be a red-earred slider or similar.

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on November 17, 2023, 05:37:25 PMSome great models here.The clouded leopard and mountain goat and mako are sort of odd postures, they look quite stuff, but otherwise they are wonderful also!

The mako is disappointing. The head looks too small for the body and I wish it were blue instead of gray, looks like a great white with that coloration.

Saarlooswolfhound

It's weird for sure, but maybe thats why my brain is intrigued by it. And they are basically supercharged white sharks, its like the African lion and cheetah but in the world's oceans. It obviously should be blue not gray, I was shocked when I saw my first mako on tv and it was the brightest ocean blue. But there is something about it I can't put my finger on that intrigues me...

Sim

I'm interested in the caiman and eagle owl.  I'm not satisfied with Safari's eagle owl and I was thinking of replacing it with Kaiyodo's, but this new Papo one might be the one for my collection.  Does anyone know what species the caiman is?  It doesn't look like a spectacled caiman to me.  I think there's nothing wrong with the ibis's pose.

SerAndrew

I think the caiman is indeed an spectacled, but I can be wrong

There's nothing wrong with the pose, but seems unnatural to me

JimoAi

tempted to get the Red eared slider just to annoy mine at home

Gwangi

Quote from: JimoAi on November 18, 2023, 10:51:21 AMtempted to get the Red eared slider just to annoy mine at home

I used to try putting toy turtles with my red-ear when I was a kid, he always ignored them.  :-\

Sim

I'm sure I've seen the pose of the ibis's wings in a real gull before.  So I don't think it's unnatural.

Isidro

It's completely natural. In fact, when I made my scarlet ibis I did the wings in very similar pose.

Eudocimus.jpg

JimoAi

would like to point out that I thought that it was weird that Papo would release a Giant octopus next year based on a previous leak considering we just got the young octopus this year which subs in for a Giant Pacific quite well

Sim

After doing some comparing, I think you guys are right about the caiman being a spectacled caiman.

bmathison1972

I have uploaded better catalogue pics to the first post, until better individual pics become available

The 'tufted monkey' is a marmoset and the 'great horned owl' is a mistranslation (the translation of the French is Eagle Owl, which the figure is)
The French translation of the frog is indeed phantasmal poison dart frog

bmathison1972

I think my choices are set. Only 6 this year (and 3 are replacements), but still good stuff:

1. spectacled caiman [replaces Kaiyodo figure]
2. porcupine [will use as an African crested porcupine]
3. scarlet ibis
4. common marmoset [replaces Safari TOOB figure]
5. Guinea fowl
6. White-faced capuchin [replaces NECA figure]

EpicRaptorMan

If we all agree that it is a spectacled came in then I might add it as well.

Although I will be keeping the safariLTD caiman too I think. I personally have it representing a black caiman even though it is undetermined

bmathison1972

Quote from: JimoAi on November 19, 2023, 06:06:41 AMwould like to point out that I thought that it was weird that Papo would release a Giant octopus next year based on a previous leak considering we just got the young octopus this year which subs in for a Giant Pacific quite well

the 'Giant Octopus' may have been a translation for the Kraken, which they are re-releasing. Doesn't look like there is a 'real' octopus this year

SerAndrew

After seeing the bigger picutres I'd say the clouded head is worse than Safari's, despite the general appearance is more realistic in the Papo's. Mainly because of the colours.

Also, the iguana seems nice, but let's see the size. Similar situation with the turtle.

And the porcupine is too good, I'd probably add it as an african species as well.

bmathison1972

I've updated the first post with catalogue pics that include horse riders and the three new dinosaurs, too