News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animal Toy Blog: Halloween 2023!

Started by bmathison1972, September 22, 2023, 02:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Hey all!

October is just around the corner! This is the month there some of us like to showcase 'scary' critters, such as rats, bats, snakes, wolves, owls, black cats, or anything that growls, bites, or stings LOL.

However, all review types are welcome during the month, so you don't only have to submit Halloween-themed stuff.

@Gwangi @JimoAi and myself have things planned! Who else? @Saarlooswolfhound - I know you have some options. @sbell ? @Fembrogon ? Anyone else? @animaltoyforum ?

I am planning on at least three:
1. Brave Wilderness executioner wasp
2. Access Toys Dangerous Creatures of the Sea (overview of the whole set, as suggested by @JimoAi )
3. black widow (not sure which, yet...)
4. maybe, if I have time

You don't have to reveal what you plan on reviewing, but would be nice to see some good representation next month!!

Saarlooswolfhound

I would be happy to. If nothing else I have lots of hell hou- I mean wolves to choose from. ;) Count me in.

Gwangi

I wasn't originally going to say what I planned on reviewing but there's no point being secretive I guess.

Definitely:

Giant Microbes Leech
Papo Piranha

Maybe, if there's time:

Schleich Gray Wolf (2015)
Giant toad, it's a Halloween decoration, this one...

https://www.michaels.com/product/ash-10-green-frog-10720232?cm_mmc=PLASearch-_-google-_-MICH_Shopping_US_N_Seasonal_Halloween_PMax_ALL-_-&Kenshoo_ida=&kpid=go_cmp-18221446251_adg-_ad-__dev-c_ext-_prd-10720232&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9rSoBhCiARIsAFOiplnrgCWFSRbI2LWgbgDWYUI1g_q32yT6QpJHAGPXvrZjVCzxsa4vri4aAmMsEALw_wcB

Saarlooswolfhound

You mean the wolf that looks like flambé gone wrong? Excellent choice. :D

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on September 22, 2023, 04:59:15 PMYou mean the wolf that looks like flambé gone wrong? Excellent choice. :D

Yeah, lol, don't expect a positive review. It's actually my daughter's, not something I would buy for my own collection.

sbell

I'll see what I can do. September has been crazy and October is looking worse.

Saarlooswolfhound

Quote from: Gwangi on September 22, 2023, 05:18:31 PM
Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on September 22, 2023, 04:59:15 PMYou mean the wolf that looks like flambé gone wrong? Excellent choice. :D

Yeah, lol, don't expect a positive review. It's actually my daughter's, not something I would buy for my own collection.

Sorry for the tangent here... after this I will get back on topic. ;)

Its not a bad posture per say, the fur sculpting and the subsequent paint application makes it look like its a melting/or a toasted marshmallow gone south. I don't care for the same fur texture on their arctic wolf either. The newer snarling wolf was a big improvement but the bar was set low...

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on September 22, 2023, 05:55:54 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on September 22, 2023, 05:18:31 PM

Sorry for the tangent here... after this I will get back on topic. ;)

Its not a bad posture per say, the fur sculpting and the subsequent paint application makes it look like its a melting/or a toasted marshmallow gone south. I don't care for the same fur texture on their arctic wolf either. The newer snarling wolf was a big improvement but the bar was set low...

I agree, the posture is fine, it's the fur that's the problem. I also don't care for snarling animal figures but you know, it's for kids and they probably like it. The wolf I have in my collection is Papo's 2010 female gray wolf, which I reviewed last year for Halloween.

bmathison1972

Actually my black widow will be the Safari HK widow. I was contemplating the CollectA black widow but...duh...I've already reviewed it  ^-^

Saarlooswolfhound

I would like to reserve the "cassis lapdog" by Papo #54013 and the Papo wolf #50283 and the pup #50284 as a combo review. Now I better get busy writing!

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on September 24, 2023, 07:02:13 AMI would like to reserve the "cassis lapdog" by Papo #54013 and the Papo wolf #50283 and the pup #50284 as a combo review. Now I better get busy writing!

Papo wolf #50283 was the wolf I was originally going to get for my collection, based on production photos. The actual product failed to impress so I changed my mind. Look forward to your review of it!

bmathison1972

I am going to try and make my first review in October some...'diabolical' insects...   >:D

Saarlooswolfhound

Your selections indeed sound terrifying Blaine.  :-[

@Gwangi, I think its a nice model overall but the promo pics were very misleading. It'll be a good segway between European lycanthropy myths and Eurasian wolves. The dog is a great analogy for the black shucks and the like of English lore.

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on September 24, 2023, 09:28:55 PMYour selections indeed sound terrifying Blaine.  :-[

@Gwangi, I think its a nice model overall but the promo pics were very misleading. It'll be a good segway between European lycanthropy myths and Eurasian wolves. The dog is a great analogy for the black shucks and the like of English lore.

Love it! Love all that stuff! Can't wait!  ^-^

Fembrogon

I have a few reviews I'm behind on that I hope to finish soon, but none that are specifically Halloween-themed.

Gwangi

I got my first spooky season review done. I usually post on the weekends so I'll likely post it on October 1st unless someone else claims that day or posts before I do.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on September 27, 2023, 08:17:23 PMI got my first spooky season review done. I usually post on the weekends so I'll likely post it on October 1st unless someone else claims that day or posts before I do.

I plan on mine for next week but I doubt it will be ready by the 1st. I'll probably post on Mon-Wed.

bmathison1972

My next Halloween post is built in draft and scheduled to be pushed live on Wednesday, October 18. I have one more after that one, so need to space them out a little.

Saarlooswolfhound

My 2 are nearly done. I hope to edit them and build them in the blog shortly. As a side note, I have one other article nearly complete also.

sbell

I was hoping to do at least one but October has proven even worse than I expected...it's been crazy!