Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo great white shark mini review

Started by JimoAi, July 15, 2023, 03:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Since it's shark awareness day, Let's take a look at the Papo great white shark in retrospect

Year it was released: 2008

Availability: In production, Common in online retailers

Price range: 10 USD

Pros:

Great plastic material

Has heft and bulk to it (almost twice as heavy as the similar sized Schleich 2018 great white shark

Head shape is very accurate to a real Great white

Gills are appropriately tall and there's 5 of them

All  fins are present

Lateral keel is present

Cons:

Dorsal fin notch can be lower

Tail can be thinner and slightly larger especially the bottom caudal love

biggest complaint: pelvic fins can be larger and claspers are too small and seperated, when they are part of the pelvic fins. Papo should've just make this a female instead. plus side is that it makes it look like a fat well-fed specimen

Seams around the figure, similar to the dolphins and Orca

overall, a good great white that's better than its competition at the time: the 2005 Schleich white shark but it is just behind the Megalodon as the weakest Papo shark as they're all so good and there are better white sharks available for the same price or cheaper: Schleich 2018 and the Safari 2016 model and Papo could release an updated figure or fix existing issues like what haolonggood did with their Ouranosaurus

4/5 stars for me

Gwangi

It's not bad but I really do prefer both of the recent Schleich figures. I never thought I would prefer a Schleich version of anything over CollectA, Safari, and Papo but they absolutely nailed their white sharks. If I had known it was shark appreciation day I would have used it as an excuse to write a review for the blog. All well, Shark Week is coming.

JimoAi

Quote from: Gwangi on July 15, 2023, 12:44:32 PMIt's not bad but I really do prefer both of the recent Schleich figures. I never thought I would prefer a Schleich version of anything over CollectA, Safari, and Papo but they absolutely nailed their white sharks. If I had known it was shark appreciation day I would have used it as an excuse to write a review for the blog. All well, Shark Week is coming.

that's right! They're Dino's are meh but their white sharks are the best!