News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Coleoptera - Beetles

Started by brontodocus, December 07, 2012, 08:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle guy

And the SEGA DX Hexarthrius mandibularis above updated.
To beetle or not to beetle.

Beetle guy

And the SEGA DX Dynastes hyllus is also updated above.

Beetle guy

Walk-around Chalcosoma atlas by Sega (Mushi King DX series) which was released in Japan around 2006.

The Sega Mushi King DX series include: Dynastes hercules (yellow (red eyed and revised black eyed version)/grey/dark brown type), Dynastes neptunus, Chalcosoma caucasus (red eyed no revised version), Megasoma gyas, Megasoma acteon, Megasoma mars, Hexarthrius mandibularis (red eyed and revised black eyed version), Dorcus palawanicus, Dorcus alcides, Allomyrina dichotoma (only one with wings in this series. the later revised DX version had no wings!),Procopocoilus giraffa (red eyed and revised black eyed version), Dynastes hyllus and Mesotopus tarandus.

So here is Chalcosoma caucasus, the figurine is about 11 cm in lenght (not measuring the legs).

I have painted the eyes more realistic, below the original.

Beetle guy

Walk-around Mesotupus tarandus by Sega (Mushi King DX series) which was released in Japan around 2006.

The Sega Mushi King DX series include: Dynastes hercules (yellow (red eyed and revised black eyed version)/grey/dark brown type), Dynastes neptunus, Chalcosoma caucasus (red eyed no revised version), Megasoma gyas, Megasoma acteon, Megasoma mars, Hexarthrius mandibularis (red eyed and revised black eyed version), Dorcus palawanicus, Dorcus alcides, Allomyrina dichotoma (only one with wings in this series. the later revised DX version had no wings!),Procopocoilus giraffa (red eyed and revised black eyed version), Dynastes hyllus and Mesotopus tarandus.

So here is Mesotopus tarandus, the figurine is almost 9,5 cm in lenght (measuring tip mandibles to tip abdomen not measuring the legs).

Beetle guy

Walk-around Megasoma actaeon by Sega (Mushi King DX series) which was released in Japan around 2006.

So here is Megasoma actaeon, the figurine is almost 9,5 cm in lenght (measuring tip cephalic horn to tip abdomen not measuring the legs). So scale 1:1.
The legs, head and prothorax are a bit poseable.

bmathison1972

There is also Dynastes hyllus in the DX series, no? I have one, and I don't think it's from the large standard set from 2003.

Edit: yea, you've reviewed it :)

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 30, 2017, 02:34:06 PM
There is also Dynastes hyllus in the DX series, no? I have one, and I don't think it's from the large standard set from 2003.

Edit: yea, you've reviewed it :)

Correct, forgot it, while it is my avatar. Will correct it straight away!

Beetle guy

I will do a post on the DX series their compositions, when I have added the last few walkarounds of the Dx ones, Three to go ;-)

bmathison1972

I see by your updated list there are 13 species in the DX series? I have 9 of them.....

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 30, 2017, 11:38:30 PM
I see by your updated list there are 13 species in the DX series? I have 9 of them.....

correct!

Beetle guy

Walk-around Dynastes neptunus by Sega (Mushi King DX series) which was released in Japan around 2006.

One of my favorites and the reason why I started collecting this series. I once bought a more than 1000 pieces beetle lot that contained almost the whole DX series. They sometimes apear on Yahoo for mainly absurd prices,

So here is Dynastes neptunus, the figurine is almost 11,7 cm in lenght (measuring tip cephalic horn to tip abdomen not measuring the legs). So that scale 1:1 for a big male.
The legs, head and prothorax are a bit poseable.

NOTE: the figurine shown is slightly customized. The hairs on horn, body and legs are (re)painted in a more realistic hair colour. The original is more yellow with the underside, legs and thorax hairs plain black.

brontodocus

What a beautiful piece! :) Looks especially realistic after your customisation, of course!

Beetle guy

Beetle guy

Walk-around Dorcus titanus palawanicus by Sega (Mushi King DX series) which was released in Japan around 2006.

The Sega Mushi King DX-series include:
Dynastes hercules lichyi (yellow (red eyed and revised black eyed version);
Dynastes hercules lichyi (blueish-gray type);
Dynastes hercules lichyi (dark brown type);
Dynastes neptunus;
Chalcosoma caucasus (red eyed);
Megasoma gyas;
Megasoma acteon;
Megasoma mars;
Hexarthrius mandibularis (red eyed and revised black eyed version);
Dorcus titanus palawanicus;
Dorcus alcides;
Allomyrina dichotoma (only one with wings in this series. the later revised DX-version had no wings!);
Procopocoilus giraffa (red eyed and revised black eyed version);
Dynastes hyllus;
Mesotopus tarandus.

So here is Dorcus titanus palawanicus, the figurine is almost 10,2 cm in lenght (measuring tip mandibles to tip abdomen not measuring the legs).
The legs, mandibles and prothorax are a bit poseable.

One more to go (Dorcus alcidus) and then all beetles of the Sega/Bandai Mushi King DX-series have their walkaround ;)

Beetle guy

And the Last one in the Mushi King DX-series!

Walk-around Dorcus titanus alcides by Sega (Mushi King DX series) which was released in Japan around 2006.

The Sega Mushi King DX-series include:
Dynastes hercules lichyi (yellow (red eyed and revised black eyed version);
Dynastes hercules lichyi (blueish-gray type);
Dynastes hercules lichyi (dark brown type);
Dynastes neptunus;
Chalcosoma caucasus (red eyed);
Megasoma gyas;
Megasoma acteon;
Megasoma mars;
Hexarthrius mandibularis (red eyed and revised black eyed version);
Dorcus titanus palawanicus;
Dorcus alcides;
Allomyrina dichotoma (only one with wings in this series. the later revised DX-version had no wings!);
Procopocoilus giraffa (red eyed and revised black eyed version);
Dynastes hyllus;
Mesotopus tarandus.

So Dorcus alcides, the figurine is almost 9,2 cm in lenght (measuring tip mandibles to tip abdomen not measuring the legs).
The legs, mandibles and prothorax are a bit poseable.

Beetle guy

The SEGA big beetles (note: not an official series name, just to label it) came in blisterpack and some with a plastic strap holding a information card (like this one).
Many beetles were produced and sometimes with alternative or altered molds for particular species. The style of the series figurines differs so much that they can hardly be seen as a whole. Most of them were released from 2006 to 2009 and pretty hard to find.

I do think to know all of them made by now. I did not keep/collect all, because some were a bit badly made to my opinion, focusing mainly on realistic figurines.

The quality of the molds differs hugely in these big beetles. Some look less realistic and/or very bulky, others are just great and some can even compete with the DeAgostini beetles (64 models from real beetles, the best in beetle figurines there is) the SEGA DX_series and certianly some F-toy ones.

Such is this one; the Moellenkampi beetle (Chalcosoma moellenkampi) it's one of the large species of dynastid rhinoceros beetles from Southeast Asia. I got it in a huge lot of more than 1.000 beetles some years ago.

The model is, with exception from the missing gold/green gleaming elytra, spot on! It is one of my very favorites. It has very realistic legs as well, not the bulky ones like some of the beetles in the DX-series (see my walkarounds on them). It is a one-piece figurine, no assembling needed. The legs are bendable but not poseable. From the horns to the tip of the abdomen it measures: 9 cm, so scale 1:1 for a reasonably big male.

on to the pic's..

bmathison1972

I have over half of these large DX figures and this D. alcides may be my favorite among them. Maybe because this is not a 'typical' species (such as D. hopei).

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 07, 2017, 02:20:24 PM
I have over half of these large DX figures and this D. alcides may be my favorite among them. Maybe because this is not a 'typical' species (such as D. hopei).

I have to agree. The D. Hyllus is my favorite but this one is great and like you said less 'Typical' considering the Japanese brands beetle output. I find the D. alcides of the small beetles amongst the best to.

brontodocus

Most of these are entirely new to me. Impressive specimen, I like the massive pronotum! :)

brontodocus

Excellent! :) Yes,  the legs look nicely gracile with sharp details.