News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Coleoptera - Beetles

Started by brontodocus, December 07, 2012, 08:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle guy

Today my F-Toys waterbeetle came in the mailbox! An Ebay seller found it for me :D
To beetle or not to beetle.

Beetle guy

This beetle figurine is part of the Japanese Sega Mushi King DX series 1 (made in 2006).

The Sega Mushi King DX series include: Dynastes hercules (yellow (red eyed and revised black eyed version)/grey/dark brown type), Dynastes neptunus, Chalcosoma caucasus (red eyed no revised version), Megasoma gyas, Megasoma acteon, Megasoma mars, Hexarthrius mandibularis (red eyed and revised black eyed version), Dorcus palawanicus, Dorcus alcides, Allomyrina dichotoma (only one with wings in this series. the later revised DX version had no wings!),Procopocoilus giraffa (red eyed and revised black eyed version), Dynastes hyllus and Mesotopus tarandus.

Sold as a high quality figurine it surely delivers.
With it's lenght of 8cm the scale is 1:1 (for a large male). It is very detailed and painted really good. It is the only model in the Mushi King DX series with moveable elytra and wings!
Personally I think one of the best beetle figurines made. I have been looking for one (complete with wings) for years. With the wings there it is extremely hard to find (there was a version without wings released later same model. no wings, but better colouring).
Do not confuse this model with the other big, rubbery winged Sega beetles. The DX series are of much better quality; in detail, material and finishing! The wings on this figurine are detachable and the elytra, head, thorax and legs moveable. The elytra stays tight on the model when opened (this is almost never the case with for instance Tomy Takara big beetles).

NOTE Pictured is the second version of Allomyrina dichotoma in the SEGA MushiKing DX series. The First version (same mold but more orange paint had the wings) the second version of A. dichotoma was painted much more realistic.

bmathison1972

Neat one! Guess I should hunt this down too at some point (althouth I just took inventory and I have 36 variations of this species already  :o :o :o )

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 08, 2016, 03:38:16 AM
Neat one! Guess I should hunt this down too at some point (althouth I just took inventory and I have 36 variations of this species already  :o :o :o )

You will find it worth it. Must admit A. dichotoma is like D. hercules overrepresented in my collection as well  :)

brontodocus

Wow, that one's beautiful!  :) Not sure but I may have the less detailed one with the rubbery wings you mentioned somewhere, just never knew what it was. Actually it's so bad compared to other Japanese rhino beetle figures that I never bothered photographing it. It was part of a figure lot I bought via YAJ some years ago.

Beetle guy

The Sega Mushi King DX series include: Dynastes hercules (yellow (red eyed and revised black eyed version)/grey/dark brown type), Dynastes neptunus, Chalcosoma caucasus (red eyed no revised version), Megasoma gyas, Megasoma acteon, Megasoma mars, Hexarthrius mandibularis (red eyed and revised black eyed version), Dorcus palawanicus, Dorcus alcides, Allomyrina dichotoma (only one with wings in this series. the later revised DX version had no wings!),Procopocoilus giraffa (red eyed and revised black eyed version), Dynastes hyllus and Mesotopus tarandus.

Well, another beetle of the Mushi King DX series; the Megasoma mars (Reiche, 1852) made by Sega/Bandai in 2006.
It is highly detailed like all figurines in the DX series. Probably the best 15 beetle models Sega/Bandai made within their huge beetle output.
The legs are a bit bulky but fine nontheles. The head, thorax andlegs are moveable. The model is scale 1:1 with it's 10.5 cm. Tip abdomen to tip Cephalic horn.

It is quite difficult to find these DX models in auctions. I was lucky, to my suprise, to have almost the whole series included in a (more than 1000 beetle models) lot on Yahoo auctions.
I will post more walkarounds of the DXseries soon!

Jetoar

Sega as always has made a wonderful figure  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Jetoar

The detail of Sega figures is wonderful  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Beetle guy

Another beetle of the Mushi King DX series; the Prosopocoilus giraffa (keisukei I would say by it's mandibles) made by Sega/Bandai in 2006. This is the revised version. The first one had red eyes and a much more glossy finish. On this version the detail is superb. The legs are a bit bulky but fine nontheles. The mandibles, thorax and legs are moveable. The model is scale 1:1, size: about 12 cm. Tip abdomen to tip mandibles.

There are a lot of P. giraffa figurines made in Japan. Sega alone made at least ten of them. But this one really stands out!

brontodocus

Wonderful! ^-^ I've read about 118 mm specimens of P. g. keisukei, so I wouldn't be too surprised if an exceptionally large male may even reach these 12 cm.

brontodocus

Excellent! :) M. mars is probably my favourite species within the genus.
Quote from: Beetle guy on November 09, 2016, 11:03:42 AM
I was lucky, to my suprise, to have almost the whole series included in a (more than 1000 beetle models) lot on Yahoo auctions.
:o :o :o Oh wow, that must have been quite a parcel! ;D

Beetle guy

Quote from: brontodocus on November 10, 2016, 12:25:04 PM
Excellent! :) M. mars is probably my favourite species within the genus.
Quote from: Beetle guy on November 09, 2016, 11:03:42 AM
I was lucky, to my suprise, to have almost the whole series included in a (more than 1000 beetle models) lot on Yahoo auctions.
:o :o :o Oh wow, that must have been quite a parcel! ;D

It sure was ;-) I won it for 35 Euro!! The seller had really bad photo's revealing only a few figurines on a heap. The greatest catch ever for me! I doubt there will come a better one ;-)

Beetle guy

Quote from: brontodocus on November 10, 2016, 12:22:39 PM
Wonderful! ^-^ I've read about 118 mm specimens of P. g. keisukei, so I wouldn't be too surprised if an exceptionally large male may even reach these 12 cm.

Ajusted ;-)

bmathison1972

is this the lot that had duplicated you sold to me...or are there more treasures to buy from you? :)

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 10, 2016, 05:30:45 PM
is this the lot that had duplicated you sold to me...or are there more treasures to buy from you? :)

no, there were only  few duplicates in the lot and brands like f-toys, kaiyodo or Yujin. weren't included. Mainly kid's toys. But it held much Little and big Sega, epoch and colorata and takara big beetles. From the DX series I only have a double D.hercules (yellow elytra) and a Dorcus alcides left.

Beetle guy

These are the four versions of the Dynastes hercules in the DX series made by Sega/Bandai. The lenght is 13cm (tip protonal horn to tip abdomen) so they are scale 1:1. Highly detailed and painted really good! The one with the yellow elytra was redone. They got rid of the red eyes and made the elytra a deeper yellow also most of the black parts are less glossy varnished.

The legs (mainly tarsus/foot) of all four are a bit bulky, but it doesn't spoil the fun;-). These were ment more or less as action figurines so they had to be sturdy I suppose. They all have the same mold. This is a bit of a pitty. By just a chance in the mold of the jointed head's cephalic horn, they would have made multiple species. The legs, head and thorax are moveable.

By the looks of the cephalic horn this must be the Dynastes hercules lichyi (Lachaume, 1985).
It occurs in Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru.
The size of Males varies from 55-175mm (source: A.Wiegelt)
females sizes varie from 50 -80mm  (source: A.Wiegelt)

BlueKrono

Some beetles of mine (in the correct thread)
I like turtles.

Beetle guy

Cheirotonus jambar is endemic to the northern part of Okinawa Island in the Ryukyu Islands (Nansei-shoto), Japan. Cheirotonus jambar lives as one small population on Okinawa Island in the Ryukyu Islands of Japan. Although protected it faces many threads, the main thread being ongoing deforestation. More information (with a quite depressing outlook for the beetle) on http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/54143047/0

This is the model made by Colorata for their 2017 'Nature's library, Janbaru Creatures' release. It makes a nice addition on its base.

Next to the two Kaiyodo ones. The detail in the Kaiyodo ones is far superior to the rougher molding and little messy painting of the colorata beetle.

bmathison1972

Beautiful, Marcel. I ordered the whole set (found a buyer for the non-arthropods). No ETA yet, though. Love the base! I like bases for my figures :)

Beetle guy

Continued to clear the gaps left by Photobucket. SEGA DX Megasoma gyas.