News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: First of the cats!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

No, I just started with South America mammals. They will come up soon. :)

Isidro

I suppose that, having the two Safari LTD primates TOOB tamarins (golden-handed and emperor), you don't show here the common marmoset just because is "marmoset" and not "tamarin"? Or is that you got spare pieces of the TOOB instead buying the whole TOOB?

Saarlooswolfhound

I have the marmoset, in fact I have the whole toob, but it is in a different photo with the Nayab marmoset. Most of what I have for South America species wise are primates, so they have been split up for photos instead of all together.

Saarlooswolfhound

Next are my tapirs!

My fun "fact" for this group will be for my custom repaint Kabomani tapir (top far right). Kabomani is the local word for tapir. Currently this animal is hotly debated by science with some claiming that it is a distinct species, and others saying it is only a subspecies or color morph of the Brazilian tapir (recent genetic analysis seems to support this idea).

bmathison1972

I thought you were just getting started with South America, not tapiring down...

Saarlooswolfhound

Ah now I am sad I didn't use that joke to transition into the next section!  ;D

Now the squirrel monkeys!

These guys are some of the smartest monkeys out there, they have a large brain size to body size ratio. They are unique amongst New World monkeys because their tail is NOT prehensile! These monkeys are known to urinate on their hands and feet; this is thought to be a method of marking territory as the scent would be applied to any branches etc. they use to travel.

NSD Bashe

I used to have a large-ish K&M bendable rubber squirrel monkey

Saarlooswolfhound

I have a lemur from that series (seen better days sadly). I would like to find more though!

bmathison1972

I have the Schleich squirrel monkey, but what's the big one on the far right? Maybe Action Products? I like it a lot!

Saarlooswolfhound

The one on the far right is Chap Mei, there are a few different models of this species from them.

EpicRaptorMan

The Chap Mei squirrel monkey looks pretty good. I have the Schleich one and ended up paying more for it than I would've liked.

bmathison1972

I just went to eBay and there are two Chap Mei squirrel monkeys available in the US. However, I think the body color of the Schleich is more accurate. I also think mine has a better painted face than yours. I'll double check when I get home, but if I am happy with the paint on my Schleich, I'll stick with it.

NSD Bashe

I also see Incredible Creatures and Imperial squirrel monkeys on eBay...

bmathison1972

Quote from: NSD Bashe on September 07, 2023, 10:20:38 PMI also see Incredible Creatures and Imperial squirrel monkeys on eBay...

yeah but it's way too big, for me :)

bmathison1972

yeah my Schleich squirrel monkey has a better painted face than Paige's here, or the one on TAI. Mine has more of a dark muzzle. So, I won't pursue the Chap Mei one, since the Schleich one has a better color on the rest of the body. It's still a nice one, though.

Saarlooswolfhound

@Blaine, I am curious what yours looks like now... Mine was bought the year it was produced.

Next up are spectacled bears!

These bears are habitually arboreal; their front legs are longer than their rear legs and this helps with climbing. They largely dine on plant material and their teeth are designed for this; only about 5% of their diet is animal protein! If you know of Paddington Bear, he is supposed to be this species.

bmathison1972

You just bear-ly avoided making a spectacle of yourself with this post...

I assume the big one is custom. To my knowledge, this is the only extant bear species that hasn't been made in 'standard-sized'.

Paige - I'll take a pic of the monkey and send it to you via email this weekend. I bought mine probably in 2020 or 2021.

Saarlooswolfhound

Indeed, the big one and the 2 cubs on either side are custom painted from the New Ray grizzly set. And thanks! I will keep an eye out for it. :)

Gwangi

My very small local zoo has spectacled bears. I've been wanting a good standard size figure of one for awhile but alas, it does not exist. You did quite well on those customs though!

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you. :) Maybe Safari or CollectA will make one someday! They are really superb animals. Did you know they could be "golden"?