News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: First of the cats!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicRaptorMan

There was a member here a few months ago who made a custom spectacled bear and I really wanted one. Dunno what happened with that.

EpicRaptorMan

I just hope that when/if we do see a standard sized spectacled bear that the sizing isn't too big.

The current SafariLtd Moon Bear and the CollectA Sun bear are tbh too large for my liking.

Saarlooswolfhound

Howler monkeys!

The "howl" call is possible because of their specialized hyoid bone. Only males make this call, not females. Their tails have tactile pads much like their hands and feet; this enables them to feel things just like their palms, soles, and fingers do! (They look really odd if anyone wants to Google it...).

Saarlooswolfhound

Giant Anteaters!

I always forget how big these guys really are- up to 2 meters long! Despite being toothless, these guys are FAR from harmless; they have been documented as fending off pumas and even jaguars with their front claws! Lastly, they have the lowest known average temperature for a mammal of 89.6 F or 32 C.

Koifish

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on September 12, 2023, 05:23:51 PMGiant Anteaters!

I always forget how big these guys really are- up to 2 meters long! Despite being toothless, these guys are FAR from harmless; they have been documented as fending off pumas and even jaguars with their front claws! Lastly, they have the lowest known average temperature for a mammal of 89.6 F or 32 C.

Which of those giant anteaters would you recommend for a proper scale alongside the Safari jaguar (newer one)? I have the older Safari figure w/the baby, but it's larger than I'd like. I've had my eye on the Papo re-release since it seems smaller, but I'm undecided.
Bluestem Zoo | Collector of mainly late Pleistocene-Holocene animal figures | Come visit my zoo! | THIS HOBBY NEEDS MORE RECENTLY-EXTINCT SPECIES!!

Saarlooswolfhound

The easiest and probably best option would be the Papo indeed. I don't have a head for proper scaling but from what I can judge, thats the best quality one on the market currently, easiest to get, and closest to the right size for you.

EpicRaptorMan

I have both new and old Schleich. Although the new one is a bit large for my taste. Might consider the Papo one.

Fun fact! There has been three reported human deaths by the claws of an anteater. All of which appeared to be defensive behavior.

bmathison1972

Early Papo is great but I love and am happy with my Safari version!

Saarlooswolfhound

Given that they aren't carnivores I would hope the behavior was defensive. ;) I quite like the Safari too Blaine.

Marmosets are next! 

The name marmoset comes from the French word 'marmouset' which means 'dwarf' or 'little'; appropriate for some of the smallest monkeys out there. There are 22 species spread through 4 genera. It is common for males of this species to be colorblind! It has been documented in some females also, but in large part they can see more colors than the males do. Lastly, they are insectivores and exudativores (meaning they eat gooey plant substances like sap, gum, etc. that excude)!

bmathison1972

only two? Looks like the not-so-common marmoset :-P

Those Nayab primates are...odd, but this one works well

Saarlooswolfhound

Yes, maybe someday there will be more of them. The Nayab primates are indeed strange... but a few are rather nice.

Tamandua!

These animals can hold up to 1lbs of ants ( .45 kilograms)  in it's stomach! That's quite a lot when the animal itself is usually a bit less than 20lbs. They also are known as being quite smelly with a musky scent 4 times stronger than that of a skunk.

Isidro

Would love to grab one of these lovely Kaiyodo tamanduas for my shelves! I've bought one to Brett but instead I received a strange tamandua of unknown brand, in same defensive position but much worse quality.

Saarlooswolfhound

I hope you can find one someday Isidro!

Spider monkeys!

There are 7 species and 7 subspecies of spider monkeys; and every one is at risk of extinction because of habitat encroachment/deforestation. Their tails are also hairless on the underside so it can grab branches more easily and they also lack a proper thumb; there is only a small vestigial nub. They reproduce very slowly, thus encumbering efforts to breed them in captivity or return them to the wild (they are pregnant for 7 months, often have one offspring, and won't have another for 2-4 years).

EpicRaptorMan

I have the Mojo tamandua which I repainted to be more orangish.

And I distinctively remember the day I bought the spider monkey from Safari LTD. I was quite hesitant because I was much more scale conscious back then.

Saarlooswolfhound

Jaguars!

They are rated as one of the strongest bite forces for mammals respective to their size; up to 887 newtons on their canine tips. That is enough to crush an 18 lbs bowling ball. Melanistic jaguars are rather common, roughly 10% of the population can be born with this dark color morph.

EpicRaptorMan

I have the Schleich that is second on the top and I still think it's really good.

I do like the one that is the 7th on the top as well.

bmathison1972

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on September 18, 2023, 11:29:14 PMI have the Schleich that is second on the top and I still think it's really good.

I do like the one that is the 7th on the top as well.

'7th on the top' (from the left) is Safari's latest, which is the one I have.

Isidro

Mine is also Schleich but third on the top instead second. Once slightly repainted it turned perfect because the sculpt and proportions are unbeatable for this figure.

Saarlooswolfhound

I personally love the first Schleich, snd gen Schleich, and the new Safaris best. The PV I keep because it reminds me of those old medieval taxidermy attempts that are... "interesting" to look at. ;)

Gwangi

Based on what I see here I think Safari's is the one I want. I don't have a jaguar yet.